What's new

Sheduled reboots break DNS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jorgsmash

I'm sorry I keep posting so many problems! I keep having random weird issues. Up until today I had my router set to reboot every morning at 4:50 am. I was used to use the reboot scheduler through amtm but it was never reliable. I switched to the GUI reboot scheduler about a week ago. I changed it now to only reboot on Saturday mornings. This am I wake up and my Internet is down. Internet light on the router is red. I log into the router and check the system log. Looks like dns-crypt (or some other dns related service) is down. Looks like when the router rebooted this am at 4:50 it never came online indicating maybe a dns service was never able to start.

I copied the system log and rebooted. Once I rebooted everything was fine. I don't understand why the scheduled reboot would cause an issue and then another reboot would fix it. I don't know if the error was induced specifically by the reboot scheduler or something else. I'll paste my system log below. What are some commands I can use in the future to diagnos DNS related issues?

I'm familiar with systemctl and service commands but I never had my head wrapped around the difference between all the dns services on a linux machine. Like dnsmasq, dns-crypt, and all the other dns services that I can't remember the names of right now. Lol.

I am running dns-crypt, installed through amtm btw.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    414.6 KB · Views: 150
What router? What firmware?

What is your WAN DNS set to, and what is the value of Tools / Other Settings page “Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)”?

What router? What firmware?

AX88U on .18 firmware. Hesitant to upgrade to .19 due to reported issues.

What is your WAN DNS set to, and what is the value of Tools / Other Settings page “Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)”?

Wan DNS:
Connect to DNS automatically: No
DNS 1: 9.9.9.9
DNSSEC: Yes
DNS Privacy: None (Not sure if DNS-crypt will override this since I set DoT in DNS-crypt)
Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver: No

Hello there,

Did you find out where you issue was coming from? I do happen to have the same problem.
Had a DNS problem where I couldn't access some sites such as Duckduckgo. Decided to do a factory reset which fixed the issue for me. I do a schedule reboot every morning at 4am and this morning the same problem happened again where certain sites were not reachable. I did a manual reboot and the problem was gone. Would be interested to see if you find out anything.

Hello, I want to ask, why do you use these restarts on a schedule? I have RT AC66U B1 and restart only in case of problems. Extremely rare. I have 7 wifi cameras, 4 Chromecast, 5 cell phones, 4 computers and a bit of smart connectivity.

Do you have NTP running before starting the dns-crypt script?

time of day is important for things like this.

Hello, I want to ask, why do you use these restarts on a schedule? I have RT AC66U B1 and restart only in case of problems. Extremely rare. I have 7 wifi cameras, 4 Chromecast, 5 cell phones, 4 computers and a bit of smart connectivity.
Good point and TBH no reasons in particular. Since the feature was there I thought I'd use it to reboot the router just like you would do with a PC once day, thinking "unconsciously" it might be healthier for the machine but again without any evidence nor logical reason to it. I switched the auto-reboot off and the problem is gone but still would be interested to know what caused this in the first place.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!