What's new

Should I use my RT-AX58U as my AImesh router over my RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

socaljazzdude

Occasional Visitor
I was wondering if any of you would kindly share your thoughts with my on my AImesh predicament.

I did try AImesh in my home with the RT-AC86U as the AImesh router and my AX58U as the node. The problem was that if I restarted my AC86U, I would loose AImesh completely resulting in my AX58U not connecting back to the AC86U.

Now I have read after the fact that I am supposed to use the AImesh router that is the higher spec machine. Does that mean that in my setup, that I must use the AX58U as the primary router for AImesh?

I am struggling with the idea of disconnecting my AC86U as my primary router. It has served me well and I really like the gaming features, but if I end up switching out the AC86U with my AX58U, I want to know if this is the key to having a more stable AImesh network?

Currently I am using the AX58U as a media bridge for my work laptop and my personal desktop.

So other that loosing out on the gaming features of my AC86U, is there a benefit of using my AX58U as my primary AImesh router? Beyond the gaming features of my AC86U, is there anything that I am loosing as far as the capabilities of the AX58U versus the AX86U? I am willing to sacrifice the gaming features of the 86U if I can have a stable AImesh network for my home.

Your thoughts?

AX58U is not better/ high performance router compering to AC86U. Same features are working only at 1 core and have hardware acceleration compering to AX58U that is start/budget router.

You can try and swap router to check if AiMesh will be more stable - working more and more with Asus AiMesh I have now opinion it is never stable. It depend how you define stable for example loosing nods/reboot/degraded speed: every day, week, month, year. For me ones setup the only time it is off when you update soft and to be honest it is not the case :(

AiMesh v1.0 was the original AiMess.

v2.0 changed all that. Be sure you are using the same firmware level for all the routers included in your network. And be sure to use either RMerlin (recommended) or stock Asus firmware on all. Mixing and matching here are just asking for unexplainable issues to crop up.

Two identical routers (RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U) or more have been proven to be very stable on RMerlin firmware for the last half-year or more now. When mixing the above AC routers with other indicated AC routers, this has also proven stable (same for AX routers with other AX routers). When mixing AC and AX routers, all bets are off.

I would start at the beginning with the main router (RT-AC86U) fully reset and minimally and manually configured. No add-ons, no extra features enabled, no scripts or other customizations. I would also ensure this main router is optimally placed, and the router and antennae properly orientated and set.

With a solid result after doing the above, I would then fully reset the node too, and add it via AiMesh. With a node attached, you may need to test for a different/better Control Channel (no, do not use an 'app', just test each channel until you've found a stable one for your specific environment).

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021

AX58U is not better/ high performance router compering to AC86U. Same features are working only at 1 core and have hardware acceleration compering to AX58U that is start/budget router.

You can try and swap router to check if AiMesh will be more stable - working more and more with Asus AiMesh I have now opinion it is never stable. It depend how you define stable for example loosing nods/reboot/degraded speed: every day, week, month, year. For me ones setup the only time it is off when you update soft and to be honest it is not the case :(
Thanks for your feedback. You raise a good point. I had thought that they were at least comparable devices, but I stand corrected.

When my AImesh worked, it worked well until I pressed the restart button on my router. Normally I wouldn’t press that button but while on the phone with my company’s IT people in order to find out why my work laptop wouldn’t connect to the 86u, the Help Desk rep asked me to restart both my 86U and my CM1200 cable modem.

Prior to that, AImesh worked great. But I would hate for a simple restart to Derail AIMesh so I am questioning If this is even doable with my existing routers.

AiMesh v1.0 was the original AiMess.

v2.0 changed all that. Be sure you are using the same firmware level for all the routers included in your network. And be sure to use either RMerlin (recommended) or stock Asus firmware on all. Mixing and matching here are just asking for unexplainable issues to crop up.

Two identical routers (RT-AC68U, RT-AC86U, RT-AX58U, RT-AX86U, RT-AX88U) or more have been proven to be very stable on RMerlin firmware for the last half-year or more now. When mixing the above AC routers with other indicated AC routers, this has also proven stable (same for AX routers with other AX routers). When mixing AC and AX routers, all bets are off.

I would start at the beginning with the main router (RT-AC86U) fully reset and minimally and manually configured. No add-ons, no extra features enabled, no scripts or other customizations. I would also ensure this main router is optimally placed, and the router and antennae properly orientated and set.

With a solid result after doing the above, I would then fully reset the node too, and add it via AiMesh. With a node attached, you may need to test for a different/better Control Channel (no, do not use an 'app', just test each channel until you've found a stable one for your specific environment).

Fully Reset Router and Network

Best Practice Update/Setup Router/AiMesh Node(s) 2021
Thank you for your response.

When I initially setup everything, I did reset both the AC86U and AX58U to factory settings. It took a couple of attempts but they would finally connect with AImesh

But it was the unfortunate push of the 86U’s reset button that proved disastrous with completing stopping AImesh.

So just to clarify what you’re saying, it’s not recommended to mix AC and AX routers for AImesh?

Also wouldn’t my AImesh be 2.0 and not 1.0? I of course have both routers updated to the latest firmware and I don’t use any router apps(other than the Asus app on my iPhone).

in a situation where both routers are updated to the latest firmware if they are a mix of a AC and AX routers, is it not advisable to create an AImesh network? Meaning both routers need to be from the same family of wireless(i.e no AC and N or AX and AC together)?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!