What's new

Should my WAP be this slow?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scottlitch

Occasional Visitor
Hello, I have a question about the LAPAC2600C's throughput. I'm replacing 2 Apple AirPort Extreme's that were used as WAPs by setting them in bridge mode. I was able to get 450–500 mbs wirelessly when running speed tests at Speedtest.net. I have replaced them with the LAPAC2600's which should be more capable than the AEXs. The AEX is a wave 1 ac device and the LAPAC2600 is a MU-MIMO wave 2 device. I'm only every able to pull 250-300 mbs when running speed tests. I've called Linksys to troubleshoot but haven't been able to get any faster results. Considering the AEX is a consumer product and the LAPAC is a SMB product, what should I be expecting?

Last edited:
First off, having or not having MU-MIMO onboard makes almost no difference in single-client bandwidth. Even if it would help multiple clients at once, that supposed benefit is more or less vaporware, as MU-MIMO as a whole is either poorly implemented or flat out missing from the vast majority of endpoints and APs, even up to now.

As for the lower throughput specifically, I first would check to ensure you're broadcasting using 80Mhz channel width in 5Ghz, in clean airspace, and make sure your client(s) are able to connect as expected to those 80Mhz channels.

Presuming that checks out, the main issue may come down to difference in output power. Those AEX's are broadcasting at between 560 and 812mW in 5Ghz, versus the LAPAC2600 at between 480 and 540mW. So, you're effectively trying to make a like-for-like swap with APs that are roughly 20-30% less powerful in 5Ghz. Presuming all else is held equal, that lower attenuation at the client, and ultimately less throughput per unit distance. If that's indeed what is happening, then you may simply need to add an extra AP into the mix, to get the signal levels up to where they need to be for the clients to negotiate at higher rates.

Last edited: