What's new

Signature update failed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Totally unrelated. The DPI signatures are completely different from their virus signatures (and the numbering scheme isn't even anything remotely close).

DPI signatures are actually published on Asus's own servers.
What made me think that there is a relation is the following:
17 . 271.50 - 2021/12/24 - Trend Micro Virus Definitions
2 . 270 - 2021/12/30 - Asus Trend Micro signature update
17 . 269.50 - 2021/12/23 - Trend Micro Virus Definitions
Perhaps there is a relation after all?

There is no webpage. It's a file on a server Asuswrt firmware is looking for.

Your own experience will tell you. The balance. If in theory it increases security a bit, but in real life it decreases convenience a lot - turn it off. If you do some secret business and no identifiable bit is allowed to leave your network - this is not the right forum for you. You may research where Snowden is killing free time. VPN over VPN on Tor over Tor + coffee maker.
Edward Snowden's laptop is quite cool:
Unboxing Edward Snowden's Favorite Laptop - YouTube

Exactly the reason to ask here. This is the place 2b for experience with Asus routers.

Asus is an exception in providing long support, but there is a catch. More frequent updates with security fixes are good thing. What I don't like much is mostly AiMesh focused updates while other features needing attention are ignored for years. They work mostly on what sells more routers to customers. Consumer market is quantity first. The main Asus router advantage for more tech savvy folks is Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Asus is an exception in providing long support, but there is a catch. More frequent updates with security fixes are good thing. What I don't like much is mostly AiMesh focused updates while other features needing attention are ignored for years. They work mostly on what sells more routers to customers. Consumer market is quantity first. The main Asus router advantage for more tech savvy folks is Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
Yes I totally agree,
The Asuswrt-Merlin firmware is a very big advantage for the Asus routers.
The team should get payed by Asus.
I do not have much interest in the plugins, but love the added security and management options like SNMP.

Still in the corporate market it is kind of the same way of working.
Quite a lot of important features are only implemented by the top tier brands.
Features that they think are easy to sell get done first there as well. Some SME router brands do not even have decent security integration with endpoint protection brands like Asus does.
For instance Draytek once did it with Kaspersky, but now nothing at all, just your basic firewall with DNS and web content filtering.

decent security integration with endpoint protection brands like Asus does.

Nothing comes for free. Data collection is what you have to agree to first. I'm not sure what Trend Micro does better in Asuswrt - usage data collection to improve their commercial paid services or free lifetime user data protection. I personally don't like this type of 3rd party involvement.

Nothing comes for free. Data collection is what you have to agree to first. I'm not sure what Trend Micro does better in Asuswrt - usage data collection to improve their commercial paid services or free lifetime user data protection. I personally don't like this type of 3rd party involvement.
It has saved me several times throughout the years.
Blocking malware and malicious sites where I had first done a lot of research about websites and software.
So I was very happy at these times to be saved by Trend Micro. I do not know if Bitdefender would have saved me anyway though.
In my work I have implemented Trend Micro for some customers. In my opinion they belong in the top 5 for malware and virus blocking.
The others I would pick are Kaspersky, Bitdefender and Sophos.

About privacy on the internet I have no illusions at all.
I would be surprised if not all internet traffic got decrypted somewhere.
This can be easily done through port replication to dedicated SSL inspection devices, that send suspicious packages to analyzers and block known issues. This can be done without man-in-the-middle re-encryption, like before.
It is one of the ways CyberSecurity products protect all traffic for enterprises against known malware and viruses and also heuristic threats. This could be done inside TOR also by anyone that has access there and sufficient resources.
The important things are, to minimize the access to your data on the way to its destination and minimize unencrypted traffic. Do not use TOR. Do not send DNS requests unencrypted over the internet.
Do not use public WiFi without SSL connection. Also make sure to use 2FA for anything that has access to private stuff and money. And try to prevent 2FA bypass hacks.
If I would use payed VPN, it would probably be ProtonVPN. Nord VPN got hacked before and Express VPN is now owned by an adware provider. Double encryption is nice.

Routers are automatically updated (either every 24 or every 48 hours, I forgot). Signature releases are not very frequent, so it's not something users should really be concerned about. And when there's an issue on Asus' side (like happened early this week), it's not something end users can do anything about anyway, they just have to wait for Asus to notice the issue and correct it on their end.

90% of the work was done by @themiron. The 10% that I did was just to implement a built-in preset database, and make it easy for me to add/remove entries in the future, and also make the webui more user-friendly.

Looking at my own router (AC86), Signatures are not updates every 24/48 hours. In fact, it is not even once per week. I do it about once a week by hand, and I cannot remember seeing the Signatures being updates automatically.
Is there a specific setting or how does this work? Scheduled Check is set to Yes. AiProtection is enabled and confirm working, the Signature Update process is not failing.

Looking at my own router (AC86), Signatures are not updates every 24/48 hours. In fact, it is not even once per week. I do it about once a week by hand, and I cannot remember seeing the Signatures being updates automatically.
I didn't say that there are new signatures every 24/48 hours. Only that the router checks for them every 24/48 hours.

On average, Asus tends to publish new signatures around once per month, sometimes two months.

But I do not think the router is checking or succeeding in checking. In fact, I know it isn't - every month or so I do this and it usually bumps up the signature version with 2 or 3:

Picture1.png
Picture4.png
Picture2.png
Picture3.png