What's new

Signature update failed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Welcome to the forums @rlunsingh.

This has been mentioned (and answered) many times already.

Use the Better Search option at the top of the forum.

The quick answer is that Asus has not yet uploaded some files yet, and they're missing (hence the 'failed').

Thank you so far @L&LD

I did that already and could not find what the conclusive answer to this issue is

Can you confirm that my version is current then?
I cannot find what version it should be.

Is there any webpage that show the most current version?
Can anyone take a look at my log above and let me know if this is normal?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
If I try to download manually I get damage zip archive with 1 kb. (sig2nd_update.zip) ASUS must fix it on their side.

@rlunsingh
Thanks octopus,

yes that is what I also see when I download
I just thought the problem might be on my side somehow, but if this is what others get also it apparently is with ASUS

Kind regards

Thanks octopus,

yes that is what I also see when I download
I just thought the problem might be on my side somehow, but if this is what others get also it apparently is with ASUS

Kind regards
Yes, get wget Code 8 : Server issued an error response (dlinfo=8)

Thanks so far L&LD and octopus,

Can anyone tell me what is the most recent version?
Is there any link that tells what it is?

I looked for the answer on this forum yesterday but could not decide what the verdict on this topic is.
I found some post related to this that RMerlin told from the log malware was the cause, so that had me worried a bit.
I have everything protected as much as possible except for the Skynet plugin which I might install.
Is this something that you guys run on your router?

Doesn't matter what the current version is (or, reported by others). Yours (and mine) will update when Asus fixes the missing files/wrong link on their end.

Proper server reset may eventually help. @L&LD? :)

No, not for this issue.

yes it works now
1640896775105.png

still wish there was a way to know what the most recent version is when running into this issue again
that would help identifying the cause
anyway thanks for the fix, whoever helped with it :cool:

You may have missed the post 25 above.

You may have missed the post 25 above.
I read that for sure.
It just does not provide any of the info that I am looking for.

Cybersecurity is important to me at home and at work, even more so with working at home nowadays.
I am trying to decide what router / firewall I should buy that will support WPA3 and WiFi6, MIMO as well as DNS over TLS like WRT Merlin supports for specific ASUS devices.
Other than WRT Merlin there are very few devices that support all this.
So I am looking into the RT-AX86 Series(RT-AX86U/RT-AX86S) (asus.com).
The thing that a do not like about the ASUS routers is that the Trend Micro updates have issues now and then and it is hard to be certain where the problem lies, as well as the limited options and or inconvenient options for reporting on status and security. For instance my QNAP NAS, which has its own security issues as well, does have a security counselor, that runs scheduled and reports me about issues via email, such as for instance today that the antivirus update had failed and it provides me with enforced 2FA for the management interface. That is the kind of control that I want from my router also.

Anyway an alternative router / firewall that would support all this at least, would cost me around 4 times more for investment and then would also require a subscription of about €20 per month on top of that.
If the budget that I find reasonable would cover for it, it would be the device below:
Which could be easily integrated with endpoint protection from Sophos and give the functionality of Managed Threat Response even which translates into SOCaas service.
This would be top enterprise functionality at the most limited budget, but is still way too high for what I want to spend for home security right now.

So I do plan to stick with ASUS. I do want to get a better control of though than I have right now.
The same level as my QNAP NAS provides me with would make me feel a lot better about it, which is by the way also a manufacturer from Taiwan, with an equal broad consumer base.

If I found a way to verify that I at least am on the latest version and the update issue does not have to do with my infrastructure, that would ease my mind a bit at least.
A security analyzer that would report on a schedule would make me feel relaxed about it.
It would even be greater if ASUS would support 2FA for incoming VPN and access to the management portal.

Anyway I think this is the only place where I can find people that think the same as me and make similar choices regarding cybersecurity.
But I am open to suggestions for sure.

Last edited:
It's a home router. If you need business class features such as 2FA or advanced security, you should shop for a business class product, and be prepared to pay accordingly.

It's a home router. If you need business class features such as 2FA or advanced security, you should shop for a business class product, and be prepared to pay accordingly.
I understand that RMerlin and I really appreciate the work that you and ASUS have done.

Especially the DNS over TLS feature that you have built is fantastic for a home router, even the enterprise products hardly support it yet.
In combination with Cloudflare and Quad9 malware filtered DNS traffic, I feel much safer with my home network now.
This also goes for the the option to enforce DNS over HTTPS traffic from clients to use the router set DNS options. This is great for security to rule out malware using its own DNS over HTTPS server.

Just I think it would be a good thing and not too difficult for ASUS to have a webpage that would show the most recent version for the Trend Micro signature, so we could verify easily that we are up to date with our routers and not have to guess. Now I can only come here and ask you guys if I am up to date or do I perhaps have malware also as you made other people aware of in another post.
Further something like a security analyzer is already built in in ASUS routers. So it should be a small step for them to have it scheduled and add the signature update check as part of it and be able to sent an email with issues. Also 2FA is nowadays mainstream and home products such as for instance QNAP NAS support this for some time now. So I do not think this would be unrealistic for ASUS to start implementing that as well. The infrastructure for it on the internet is freely available for a long time now with providers as Microsoft and Google Authenticator.

I am not saying in anyway that a very busy guy like you should do more.
We all are very lucky that you as an IT pro, with I guess, your demanding fulltime job and perhaps also a family, puts so much effort and time into improving the ASUS firmware in the spare time that you have.

Just I wish that a company such as ASUS, which is on the forefront of IT consumer products, could close the gap a bit more in the router / firewall business. Especially since in my eye they deliver the most advanced products and features other than the enterprise producers and are therefore the best candidate to do so in this category.
If they did, they could gain a lot from it also, by tapping into the market for SME and SOHO and IT enthusiasts such as Draytek, which I have owned in the past as well, and Ubiquiti. Their products already lack a lot of hardware specs and software features in their recent products that ASUS does provide for already. The specs that ASUS lacks in relation to that market are as far as I know mostly software related.

I think that a lot of us are waiting for features such as the ones that I have pointed out above.
But anyway I understand your point that I would have to switch to a true enterprise product if I would require true SSL inspection or MTR / SOCaas. That would certainly be unrealistic in the consumer and SME market as that would require very different hardware specs and a much bigger development team as well as a complete cybersecurity infrastructure and staff with it. It is just something that I am also looking at but am not willing to pay for, at least not yet.

This does not mean I am not so serious about Cybersecurity at home. I have done just about anything that I could do within a certain budget, but with a lot of time and effort and research.

I am very happy with the DNS part of your work for ASUS. Without you the product would be far less outstanding from its competition than it is.
It also shows that you yourself take cybersecurity very serious as well.

I hope my point is clear now.

Keep up the great work in all of your different roles.
I deeply respect people like you.

Kind regards,
Roger

The signature update failed for me as well earlier this week. Yesterday the update worked normally. Who knows?

If the budget that I find reasonable would cover for it, it would be the device below:

You have more hardware options in the same price range like Untangle Z4-series, Netgate 6100, Firewalla Gold, x86 Qotom/Protectli. The most user friendly is Firewalla (no subscriptions), followed by Untangle ($150/year home license), pfSense (subscriptions for packages available, but not required), DIY project with your choice firewall software Sophos, Untangle, pfSense, OPNSense, OpenWRT - depending on your time, knowledge and budget.

Just I think it would be a good thing and not too difficult for ASUS to have a webpage that would show the most recent version for the Trend Micro signature, so we could verify easily that we are up to date with our routers and not have to guess.
Routers are automatically updated (either every 24 or every 48 hours, I forgot). Signature releases are not very frequent, so it's not something users should really be concerned about. And when there's an issue on Asus' side (like happened early this week), it's not something end users can do anything about anyway, they just have to wait for Asus to notice the issue and correct it on their end.

specially the DNS over TLS feature that you have built is fantastic for a home router
90% of the work was done by @themiron. The 10% that I did was just to implement a built-in preset database, and make it easy for me to add/remove entries in the future, and also make the webui more user-friendly.

You have more hardware options in the same price range like Untangle Z4-series, Netgate 6100, Firewalla Gold, x86 Qotom/Protectli. The most user friendly is Firewalla (no subscriptions), followed by Untangle ($150/year home license), pfSense (subscriptions for packages available, but not required), DIY project with your choice firewall software Sophos, Untangle, pfSense, OPNSense, OpenWRT - depending on your time, knowledge and budget.
Thanks for your reply Tech9,

I am now filling an Excel sheet to compare the aspects, that I find relevant for my current and future choise, for firewall-router (physical) appliances.
Already have I added the ones you suggest, as well as others that I find interesting home routers and compact WiFi enterprise routers.
Another website that I find interesting with lots of relevant info on this topic:
The guy behind this website does not like home routers at all.
The best of them he says is ASUS with WRT Merlin.
But he has been using Pepwave Surf SOHO, which is otherwise unknown to me.
I have added this one in my sheet also now.
What are you using yourself anyway?

What are you using yourself anyway?

Netgate 5100 with pfSense. Netgate 6100 is the better unit now. Stick with popular software for better support. Asuswrt-Merlin for home use is good and keeps the hardware cost low. If you go with separate firewall, for a complete system you'll also need separate switch and access points, preferably VLAN capable and with PoE, plus all the wires needed around the house. Perhaps additional network controller, depending on what access points you choose. A good access point (one) only may cost 3x more than high-end All-in-One home router. You may want to add NAS to your system. If you go with what's best or recommended on websites and your only source of hardware is new from the store, your budget must be $4000 to start. You need to find the balance between cost, performance and knowledge required to support your system. You and your family members will be doing the same thing online.

Thanks for your reply,
I am looking for a high-end All-in-One home router, physical appliance. I do not want to build a custom one, for support, stability and functional reasons.
My current router, ASUS RT-AX68U, does not support WPA3 and WiFi6, which is the main reason that I am looking for a new one.
The current WiFi coverage is not good in the attic for instance. I am not using any access points and want to avoid that.
The guest WiFi I have configured on my ISP modem. So I only run personal WiFi on the router.
Initially I am looking at the RT-AX-86U, as this supports the same things I have now, and also WPA3 and WiFi6, with better RAM and CPU specs also.
I have read reviews claiming that it has a better WiFi range, which is also supported by ASUS documentation.

I will compare it to SME / compact enterprise All-in-One router-firewall appliances. If they do not support all that the RT-AC-86U does, I will drop those options.
The support by Merlin for DoT will make it a very short list for sure. Even the Sophos All-in-One router-firewall Appliances do not seem to support it yet with the current NSX firmware for their NGFW even though it does support a lot of other high-end enterprise features, they do however support DoH, but this does not seem to have the option to force clients to use the router set DNS options. In the past I had 2 Draytek All-in-One router-firewall appliances set up at 2 locations with IPSEC VPN tunnel. They where simultaneously completely dead at the same moment some years ago for some strange reason and could not be fixed by resetting. They didn't even boot anymore. After that I changed to ASUS, which has proven very stable for years now.

Further I have a QNAP NAS already and a HP Procurve managed switch.
Clients sync with Onedrive and that syncs back to the NAS.
I use IP filtering for accessing the router and the NAS, and mac filtering for accessing the personal WiFi with reserved IP addresses. Remote management for the router and modem are disabled.
The NAS management is setup with 2FA. As well as 2FA for VPN access to my OpenVPN appliance. I have used 2FA for many years at work and private.
NAS and Windows systems use full disk encryption.
Anything of some importance has 2FA enforced where possible for all of us. Where not possible I use long and complex passwords.
I run Bitdefender on all devices that support it and have access to personal information.
TLS 1.3, SMB 3 and https are enforced as much as possible.
I have Trend Micro HouseCall running constantly to check the network for vulnerabilities.
Everything is set to update automatically.
And then some other measures also.
IT has been my work for many years and still is my hobby as well.
I have broad experience in hard and software administration, engineering and technical project management.
My interest and work has shifted largely to CyberSecurity in the past few years.

Last edited:
My current router, ASUS RT-AC68U, does not support WPA3 and WiFi6, which is the main reason that I am looking for a new one.

Your best fit new router is perhaps RT-AX68U. WPA3 has to be supported by clients and it requires PMF - may cause issues with your older clients. MU-MIMO has no real advantages - clients support required and only to few devices limited by router's radio streams, with reduced to single stream link rates. What you need is newer AC Wave 2 for your existing AC clients and AX for your new clients. RT-AX68U will have about 20% better Wi-Fi range and this is perhaps all you need. Comes with ARMv8 CPU and AES support - about 200Mbps OpenVPN speeds capable. Asuswrt-Merlin support available. The next more expensive brother is RT-AX86U - you get 2x more CPU cores, 2x more RAM and a single 2.5GbE WAN/LAN port. If the budget is enough, get the RT-AX86U. This is the model most folks around will recommend.

Everything is set to update automatically.

You may want to disable automatic updates. Consumer market, Asus had to remove some updates with issues in the past.

Last edited: