What's new

Skip 384.13?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Here's the thing: in the US, the ground floor is 1, and in most of the world the second floor is the first floor and the first floor doesn't have a number.
"0" or ground floor is used in elevators around here. In Switzerland we call it the Parterre, loaning from our french speaking parts word for Erdgeschoss, the Ground floor but use "EG" in elevators in the German speaking parts. But most multilevel houses have no apartments at ground floor level, they start half a flight of stairs up which we call Hochparterre, the high ground floor.
So there's an additional decimal point to consider: The 13.5th floor.

Wait a second!
Now I realize where my VPN connection issues came from in Merlin's 384.x firmware!
And my router is Made in China... bad, really bad luck. Eric, come on man!
And he's Canadian! This almost sounds like a conspiracy.
This thread may soon be locked for getting way off topic for this board.

Lets add some Small Net Builder topic to this thread.
Since we have a heatwave spanning Europe and unfortunately Switzerland is in the center of it:
Ambient temperature in my office: 28.5°C
RT-AX88U (main router) CPU: 65°C
RT-AC86U (Dev. router) CPU: 64°C
I have no Air Conditioning, outside temp is just shy of 37°C.

And you also should know better! What is this thing Diversion 4.1.2 running on routers Made in China? It will never run properly.
That's just a gentle slap in everyone's face. Diversion was born with that condition, doctors and pharma companies are unable to find a cure or the cause of it.

If you visit Toronto and get inside one of those residential skyscrapers downtown you may find not only floor 13 missing, but also 4, 14, 24, 34 and so on. We have a lot of Asian fellows around and the number 4 is considered unlucky in some Asian cultures
Also in Hotels, the one I stayed at weeks ago in Toronto had no 4th floor.

It's going to be a while, I guess, before we have to face this with floor 7 1/2 (from Being John Malkovich). But maybe the Hogwarts express? How long to version 384.18.5?

For some reason on my RT-AC66U router firmware version 386.66_6 works best. :rolleyes:
Seriously, this firmware is the only version that keeps Media Bridge alive forever, no kidding.

Because since you are clearly a time-traveler where RMerlin has re-started development of his firmware for the AC66U (in June 2019, the latest available for the AC66U is 380.70_0), and you have four 6's in your version number '386.66_6' you clearly have broken the beast. :D

I’ve never been in a building in the US that skipped over 13. Perhaps its regional.
I've never noticed it but according to Wikipedia: "In 2002, based on an internal review of records, Dilip Rangnekar of Otis Elevators estimated that 85% of the buildings with Otis brand elevators did not have a floor named the 13th floor"

Reactions: a5m
Is there a 384.13 in the works? What would it add?

Is there a 384.13 in the works? What would it add?
I suppose at some point in the future RMerlin will release a 384.13 ... what it will add / remove / fix / do is likely undetermined even by him at this point.

This thread is really a lighthearted discussion of silly superstitions around numbers like 13, 4, 666, etc.

EDIT: See response immediately following this one.

Last edited:
I've never been in a building in the U.S. that had a 13th floor. Not to say the don't exist, but I bet they're few and far between.

I lived on an actual 13th floor of the Willham South dorm of Oklahoma State University in the 1987-89 time frame and I managed to survive just fine. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!