What's new

Skynet skynet amazon sidewalk blocking

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

agilani

Very Senior Member
Anyone have amazon sidewalk or look into how it works to block it using skynet? Last thing i want is some large company like amazon decide to share my network bandwidth for their own commercial gains.

Just a thought but have you thought of opting out?

I am in the UK so doesn’t apply to us, yet, but I for one will be opting out.

I don't have any of their supported devices, but a lot of devices come with Alexa built in now (firestick, fitbit, amazon tv, etc). What's next amazon decides to sidewalk enable any sidewalk device that's connected to my wifi which becomes a hub for everyone in my neighborhood to use my wifi? The very fact that i have to go through their whitepaper to figure out which of their devices i have that automatically enable this feature is just flat out wrong.

I agree with you completely.

I agree we should be able to opt out of this.

I agree we should be able to opt out of this.

I agree we should never be opted in by default. To this end, I don't buy their products, but this sort of stuff is going to get licensed and show up everywhere.

OE

Mixed feelings; in general I'm dubious and go to some effort to keep other people out of my wifi. On the other hand, one article I read said speeds were capped at 80kbps. Not really going to eat into your 4K Netflix stream. ;)

Also I read that monthly usage would be no more than 500MB. I also read that that if your alexa devices are linked to one account and your disable sidewalk on that account, ALL devices would be disabled

Edit: for clarity disabled means "Opted-out"

Last edited:
You mean if you opt-out, it opts out for all devices? Or if you out-out of Sidewalk, it just disables all of your Alexas? That seems unlikely but not out of the question. Otherwise what would be the point of having an opt-out option? :p

I think we'd need to get a device that supports it, and then (like with anything else IoT) Wireshark the traffic while it's in use to see if it's distinguishable from other Amazon traffic.