What's new

Skynet Skynet not using DoT if configured when getting lists from the internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unsynaps

It seems that Skynet is ignoring DoT settings when getting lists from the internet.

Situation:
DoT fully configured on the router and working on the LAN.
On the Advanced_WAN_Content.asp page the 'DNS Server' field is empty. This is because I DO NOT want DNS to fall back to unencrypted DNS if DoT happens to fail.
All internet traffic on the LAN works perfectly fine doing this unless, of course, DoT goes down.

When configured this way Skynet will not resolve DNS to get remote blocklists.
Even witth Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver set to yes.

As soon as I fill out the 'DNS Server' entry on Advanced_WAN_Content.asp Skynet downloads lists from remote servers with no issue.

This seems like a rather serious bug.

Last edited:
On the Advanced_WAN_Content.asp page the 'DNS Server' field is empty.
This is known to create problems such as the one you are reporting.
When configured this way Skynet will not resolve DNS to get remote blocklists.
Even witth Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver set to yes.
Examine the contents of /etc/resolv.conf when this happens. The script will be invoking curl to download the lists, and curl will use whatever is in this file. And curl might fail to fetch an https link if your broken DNS setup prevents the router time from syncing after a reboot.
This seems like a rather serious bug.
If the WebUI allowed you to set null WAN DNS servers, that would be the serious bug. If you did it via nvram command over ssh, you shot yourself in the foot.

This is known to create problems such as the one you are reporting.

Examine the contents of /etc/resolv.conf when this happens. The script will be invoking curl to download the lists, and curl will use whatever is in this file. And curl might fail to fetch an https link if your broken DNS setup prevents the router time from syncing after a reboot.
humm... yeah resolv.conf is empty if I do not specify those DNS IP's. Oddly ping seems to work fine so I am not sure where it is resolving from.
Seems curl works fine outside the skynet scripts too. With those IP's blank and running curl google.com it works fine.
If the WebUI allowed you to set null WAN DNS servers, that would be the serious bug. If you did it via nvram command over ssh, you shot yourself in the foot.
Only modifying that entry through the webui.