What's new

Slow MoCa Speeds, Please Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnestan

New Around Here
I purchased both a set of Actiontec Moca 2.0 and goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters. I was under the impression that near gigabit speeds and low latency would be easily attainable with either of these products. However, I have not been able to get any where near those speeds, and I ran out of ideas on why this is occurring. I first tried to add them into my existing network setup but was unsatisfied with the speeds. I replaced what I pretty sure is the only splitter in the coax wiring with a 5-2500 MHz splitter, but that did not improve the performance. Using iPerf3 I was getting 270Mbps with the Actiontec and 300Mbps with the goCoax. I went into trouble shooting mode and have tried everything I can think of. I stripped my network down to just my modem, router, my desktop, and my laptop. Here are the following test I ran.
1. Plugged my laptop and desktop into the router via Ethernet. Ran iPerf3 and got 920Mbps. Reran test to make sure all 3 Ethernet cords I would be using in tests were capable of passing gigabit speeds.
2. Added the Actiontec MoCa 2.0 adapter set in between my laptop and my desktop. Ran iPerf 3 and got 380 Mbps. I tried both the 3ft coax cable that came with the adapter and a 6ft coax cable I had lying around. The speeds did not change.
3. Switch out the Actiontec adapters for the goCoax MoCa 2.5 adapters. Ran iPerf 3 and got 300 Mbps. I again tried both the 3ft and 6ft coax.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas. Thanks.

Last edited:
It's not you it's those Actiontec adapters. See MY THREAD for more info.

And don't waste your time using the "-P" switch with iPerf, it's just CHEATING and won't actually apply to real world scenarios. Using the -P switch is like taking your race car to the track and making a 9 second pass on slicks and in ideal conditions. Yeah you can run that at the track, but you're not gonna get those same results out on public roads. So who cares about what you run at the track when you're gonna be spending 98% of your time out on public roads? Not every website/server you connect to is going to support parallel connections, so those fancy "parallel connection" results you got aren't going to apply in those cases.

I purchased both a set of Actiontec Moca 2.0 and goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters. I was under the impression that near gigabit speeds and low latency would be easily attainable with either of these products. However, I have not been able to get any where near those speeds, and I ran out of ideas on why this is occurring. I first tried to add them into my existing network setup but was unsatisfied with the speeds. I replaced what I pretty sure is the only splitter in the coax wiring with a 5-2500 MHz splitter, but that did not improve the performance. Using iPerf3 I was getting 270Mbps with the Actiontec and 300Mbps with the goCoax. I went into trouble shooting mode and have tried everything I can think of. I stripped my network down to just my modem, router, my desktop, and my laptop. Here are the following test I ran.
1. Plugged my laptop and desktop into the router via Ethernet. Ran iPerf3 and got 920Mbps. Reran test to make sure all 3 Ethernet cords I would be using in tests were capable of passing gigabit speeds.
2. Added the Actiontec MoCa 2.0 adapter set in between my laptop and my desktop. Ran iPerf 3 and got 380 Mbps. I tried both the 3ft coax cable that came with the adapter and a 6ft coax cable I had lying around. The speeds did not change.
3. Switch out the Actiontec adapters for the goCoax MoCa 2.5 adapters. Ran iPerf 3 and got 300 Mbps. I again tried both the 3ft and 6ft coax.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm out of ideas. Thanks.
You need to specify a 1M (-w 1M) window size when running iperf3 in windows. iperf3 in windows defaults to something really low.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!