What's new

Smart home toggle for VPN Client in Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rappy

Regular Contributor
Hi. Xentrk and I have been finding it impossible to solve the issue of finding all the IP ranges to effectively send just the AppleTV BBC iPlayer app down a VPN tunnel, sparing the rest of its apps. So I am trying to think of what else could be done to make the task of turning on and off the VPN in the GUI more simple and quick.

Can anyone give any hints where I should start in trying to setup some kind of homekit (and thus Siri) enabled smart home toggle for removing and adding a device to my VPN policy rules? I could also toggle off and on the VPN Client itself, however this takes a little more time to reconnect and such.

Basically I am trying to make it so that when my daughter is wanting to watch something on the iPlayer app, I do not have to go to my computer, log in, and toggle the VPN manually. Likewise when anyone else wants to watch something on Netflix or another US based app, I don't want to have to find the computer log in etc etc.

Any ideas? Or even some ideas on where Xentrk and I have found my situation in the other thread? (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/selective-routing-with-asuswrt-merlin.9311/page-37)
Many thanks.

First idea: Why posting twice here and here? :eek:

To get viewers from both forum sections. One is for VPN, one is for Merlin firmware. I am sure there are some who frequent VPN who do not have Merlin and vice versa, but the question is reaching out to both.