What's new

Using Apple TV with NordVPN / Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pgershon

Regular Contributor
I have set-up NordVPN on Merlin and used Director to send my Apple TV's internet through the VPN. This is great for spoofing location on Apple TV apps that may restrict local content, but problematic for apps like YouTubeTV that I want to see our location, Is there an easy way to toggle the VPN location (IP or DNS) depending on the Apple TV app being used? Something that my wife can do is obviously preferred, but if I can easily change a setting on my iPhone that affects the Apple TV, that works too.

I have set-up NordVPN on Merlin and used Director to send my Apple TV's internet through the VPN. This is great for spoofing location on Apple TV apps that may restrict local content, but problematic for apps like YouTubeTV that I want to see our location, Is there an easy way to toggle the VPN location (IP or DNS) depending on the Apple TV app being used? Something that my wife can do is obviously preferred, but if I can easily change a setting on my iPhone that affects the Apple TV, that works too.

You can send ssh commands from iOS shortcuts to start or stop the relevant client, then turn these into homescreen widgets. E.g.:

service start_vpnclient1
service stop_vpnclient1

There’s no toggle function, so you’ll need two widgets.

My default is UK (VPN off), but I sometimes look at French or German TV. I have the buttons:

France (VPN 1):
service stop_vpnclient2; service start_vpnclient1

Germany (VPN 2):
service stop_vpnclient1; service start_vpnclient2

UK (VPN off)
service stop_vpnclient1; service stop_vpnclient2

Very simple and works well.

Thank you. I understand the concept - using iOS to tun the VPN on or off. But two questions (and please forgive my ignorance):

1) How do I send the ssh commands via iOS? Do I need to SSH into my ASUS router at 192.168.1.1 first to get the commands to the VPN? Also, is there a specific app to use to send the SSH command? I am used to using Terminal on my Mac, but I dont know if I have done the equivalent from the iPhone or iPad.

2) I assume that these need to be done from iPhone as opposed to being able to configure the Apple TV to do it.

Appreciate your responses in advance, and thanks again.

Thank you. I understand the concept - using iOS to tun the VPN on or off. But two questions (and please forgive my ignorance):

1) How do I send the ssh commands via iOS? Do I need to SSH into my ASUS router at 192.168.1.1 first to get the commands to the VPN? Also, is there a specific app to use to send the SSH command? I am used to using Terminal on my Mac, but I dont know if I have done the equivalent from the iPhone or iPad.

2) I assume that these need to be done from iPhone as opposed to being able to configure the Apple TV to do it.

Appreciate your responses in advance, and thanks again.

That's no problem.

Re your questions, you'll be sending an ssh command direct from your phone's Shortcuts app to the router. The Apple TV won't need any configuration - it just gets the new VPN connection from the router.

When you open the app, press the + button to make a new shortcut, and a search box appears. Type in ssh and you'll see "Run Script Over SSH". Select this, then fill out the box with your command, your router IP as host, and your usual router password. At the top, add a name for the command (you can press the icon to see a selection).

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 18.04.36.png

There's a play button further to the right to test the command with. When finished, you can just click this screen closed. The command then shows up as a button in the main app window:

Screenshot 2023-07-05 at 18.11.10.png

On the iPhone home screen (swipe right), you should see various widgets. I believe the first few shortcuts will appear there automatically. I don't have an iPhone, so I'm relying on my iPad and Mac here, but it should be virtually the same.

Last edited:
Another question. I set up my router with Merlin to provide a UPN. I downloaded a config file generated by NordVPN's server utility. But I was never given an option to pick a region - only a country. And every config file I have generated is in my own region (NYC area). There must be a way to specify location for the router VPN, as there is for the NordVPN app (which works fine). Can anyone help me find it?

EDIT: Although I could not get the router to work the VPN as I hoped, I was able to use NordVPN's DNS to get around the location issues. Installed on my LG and Samsung Smart TVs. Now I use the smart TV's native apps when I want to get around the regional blackouts and the Apple TV for all my other content where I want my native location registered.

Last edited:
On the iPhone home screen (swipe right), you should see various widgets. I believe the first few shortcuts will appear there automatically. I don't have an iPhone, so I'm relying on my iPad and Mac here, but it should be virtually the same.

Shortcuts are pretty awesome - thanks for posting...

Another question. I set up my router with Merlin to provide a UPN. I downloaded a config file generated by NordVPN's server utility. But I was never given an option to pick a region - only a country. And every config file I have generated is in my own region (NYC area). There must be a way to specify location for the router VPN, as there is for the NordVPN app (which works fine). Can anyone help me find it?

EDIT: Although I could not get the router to work the VPN as I hoped, I was able to use NordVPN's DNS to get around the location issues. Installed on my LG and Samsung Smart TVs. Now I use the smart TV's native apps when I want to get around the regional blackouts and the Apple TV for all my other content where I want my native location registered.

Sounds good. I tried their Smart DNS but it didn't support the European services I wanted.

Jack Yaz's Vpnmgr add-on would have worked for the router, pulling city-level VPN configs.

Keeping the auto update/reload feature disabled means the VPN won't start itself when you don't want it.

just tried to install on FT-AX6000 with Merlin and got an error message "Entware not detected".

Do I need Entware and is it easy and safe to load?

Is amtm installed natively? You say no need to install it? I read the first few posts. I guess I could skip to the end o the thread...

Go to https://nordvpn.com/servers/tools/ and select the country you want.
Untitled.png

Thanks. The problem with this link is that it only specifies country and not region. So everything that comes up in NY, which I am trying to avoid
Ah, sorry. I misunderstood (even though you stated it clearly :oops:).

I guess you could use the app to connect to the region you want and that will give you a server number. You could then download that config from here:

For example #9492 is us9492.nordvpn.com, which is Salt Lake City.

I tried this again today and I am not able to get the Apple TV (or any device, including laptop and iPhone) to access MLB.com properly when the VPN is active. Laptop does fine if I use NordVPN app to launch VPN, but when I launch the VPN through ASUS/Merlin/Director, things hang. I confirmed VPN IP address is public IP for laptop with whatsmyip. But laptop and Apple TV have trouble making connections. It kind of feels like the DNS is not working properly with the VPN, although I believe I have it set properly. Any thoughts on what I might be missing?

I think I got it working. Loaded vpnmgr from JackYaz (needed Entware installed first). Now I can pick a city for my US-based IP address. Will see how I do with blackout restrictions tomorrow, but at least I can get my devices to operate with the VPN. Could not do it before.

That's no problem.
So now that I believe I understand the concepts, I have set up VPN Director for each Apple TV based on an IP address. I can effectively turn the VPN on or off by changing the IP address to go to the VPN on or off setting on my router. But I have issues with the DNS. When the router is not in VPN mode, I want to use the ISP DNS. But when in VPN mode, I want to use the VPN's DNS. I am using DNS Director to determine which DNS each client should get assigned to. But there is a mismatch. VPN status is turned on/off by IP. But DNS Director makes its determinations by MAC ID. The problem is, for a particular MacID (each Apple TV), I may or may not want the VPN's DNS depending on whether I am using the VPN IP or the non VPN IP.

Is there a way to easily toggle?

So now that I believe I understand the concepts, I have set up VPN Director for each Apple TV based on an IP address. I can effectively turn the VPN on or off by changing the IP address to go to the VPN on or off setting on my router. But I have issues with the DNS. When the router is not in VPN mode, I want to use the ISP DNS. But when in VPN mode, I want to use the VPN's DNS. I am using DNS Director to determine which DNS each client should get assigned to. But there is a mismatch. VPN status is turned on/off by IP. But DNS Director makes its determinations by MAC ID. The problem is, for a particular MacID (each Apple TV), I may or may not want the VPN's DNS depending on whether I am using the VPN IP or the non VPN IP.

Is there a way to easily toggle?

There's an easy way to do this on the VPN client settings page (no need to use DNS Director).

If "Accept DNS Configuration" is set to "Strict" or "Exclusive", then your Apple TV will use the VPN provider's own DNS while the connection is active.

When the VPN is inactive, the Apple TV will revert to your router's default DNS address, e.g. your ISP DNS.

Screenshot_20230723_081236_Samsung Internet.jpg

PS, these settings remain intact when VPN Manager updates the client configs.