What's new

Smb with RT-AC88u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jb68

Regular Contributor
Hi,
Using latest merlin firmware, any idea how I can smb external through the internet to my router/usb connected to it.
Smb://local.ip works fine and I’ve set up the DDNS but keeps saying unable to connect to server but if I put that address in safari/use AiCloud app. It works fine.
Not sure how I would do it external.

Native SMB traffic should never be sent over the internet. In fact most ISPs will block it anyway. If you need to remotely access SMB shares you need to either use an app like AiCloud or use a VPN.

I’ll do more research tonight how to upload files from my phone. The AiCloud app can only do photos :/

What router are you using?

Just a suggestion, if your router is one that supports WireGaurd VPN, set up a wiregaurd server, install the client on the phone and use something like CxExplorer (Android) and transfer your pictures to your internal share that way. Works great.

It doesn't have to be a WireGuard server, it could be the more common OpenVPN. The problem usually comes from the client side, i.e. what Apple deigns to allow you to do with their phone.

It doesn't have to be a WireGuard server, it could be the more common OpenVPN. The problem usually comes from the client side, i.e. what Apple deigns to allow you to do with their phone.

Agreed (with OpenVPN). I suggested WireGaurd as the client side is available in the apple store where OpenVPN not so much.

More info on setting up the server side is here;