What's new

SNMP on aiMesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vk2him

Occasional Visitor
I've got two RT-AC68Us - one as main wireless router and the other as an AP - SNMP is enabled on both. I just made the AP an aiMesh node and it's working fine however I've lost access to it via SNMP - is that expected behaviour? I'm assuming the Aimesh node is still running merlin firmware - I did a restore to factory from the GUI and then searched for the node on the main router. SNMP still works ok on the main router.

This is expected.

You may be able to SSH to the Node and re enable SNMP via an NVRAM command. I’ve no idea what the variables needed would be though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You normally edit the snmpd.conf file however it's not on the router. I could maybe manually install snmp via entware if I install amtm first, then entware?

You normally edit the snmpd.conf file however it's not on the router. I could maybe manually install snmp via entware if I install amtm first, then entware?

Yep, that’ll work

Installed via opkg install snmpd and created snmpd.conf but doesn't seem to work? Is the right path /tmp/snmpd.conf ?

Not sure. Should be the same as on the main router though

Not sure. Should be the same as on the main router though

Yes thats the main router location - very strange as it wont work. Also after rebooting, it cant find amtm even thought it's still installed - must lose the paths somehow

I managed to get it to work - it's different to the way the main router is setup so I had to experiment. I'll document it in case I forget in future and for others. First, install amtm then entware - that's straight forward. I installed it on a USB stick so my path to it includes the name Sandisk_USB - change this to suit your location below.

Code:
opkg install snmpd snmp-utils

Change directory to the where the snmpd script that starts/stops it resides *** change to suit your location

Code:
cd /tmp/mnt/Sandisk_USB/entware/etc/init.d

Now edit the script and note the location where the snmpd.conf file is stored:

Code:
vi S47snmpd

This is my file:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=snmpd
ARGS="-c /jffs/configs/snmpd.conf"
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Now edit the snmpd.conf file - it only needs to have basic info - this is mine:

Code:
rocommunity public

You can now start/stop/check the status of snmpd by running:

Code:
/tmp/mnt/Sandisk_USB/entware/etc/init.d/S47snmpd check

/tmp/mnt/Sandisk_USB/entware/etc/init.d/S47snmpd start

/tmp/mnt/Sandisk_USB/entware/etc/init.d/S47snmpd stop

/tmp/mnt/Sandisk_USB/entware/etc/init.d/S47snmpd restart

Code:
vk2him@RT-AC68U-DCF0:/jffs/configs# /tmp/mnt/Sandisk_USB/entware/etc/init.d/S47snmpd check
 Checking snmpd...              alive.

Screen_Shot.jpg

Screen_Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: JDB