What's new

GT-AX6000 - SNMP supported?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pidy

Occasional Visitor
Hey all, my AX86U died recently and I'm contemplating whether to get the same as a replacement or the AX6000, which appears to be a bit better based on some comments, reviews, and is only about €15 more expensive on Amazon atm.
I've been using SNMP with the AX86U for monitoring and I'd like to continue doing the same with the replacement. I haven't been able to find anything related to AX6000 & SNMP, hence the question.

Thanks.

Doesn't the RT-AX86U power up at all? What makes you determine it is dead?

With regards to the GT-AX6000, buy it, test it in your own environment, and proceed from there.

Doesn't the RT-AX86U power up at all? What makes you determine it is dead?

With regards to the GT-AX6000, buy it, test it in your own environment, and proceed from there.
It doesn't power up at all and I checked the power adapter output with a multimeter. It seems to be providing the right amount of juice, hence the conclusion that the router is likely dead.

I hope someone may know the answer, otherwise I'll probably just get the AX86U again. I was quite happy with it... until it died. I unfortunately don't really need the 2.5Gb WAN port of the AX6000 anyway, with my 100Mb connection. 😅

I checked the power adapter output with a multimeter. It seems to be providing the right amount of juice
A bad psu may appear to give a good output where metered, but put a load on it and.........

A bad psu may appear to give a good output where metered, but put a load on it and.........
You are right. I unfortunately didn't have an alternative psu to test with. Had it not been under warranty still (getting a refund), I would have probably gotten another psu to test with.

You are right. I unfortunately didn't have an alternative psu to test with. Had it not been under warranty still (getting a refund), I would have probably gotten another psu to test with.
just do what i did,my rtx86u died ,got it from amazon 16month ago so no warranty,i just ordered a brand one and put the old broken rtx86u in its box and sent back and got a full refund,i do it all the time

And when they check the serial numbers, your return privileges will be done.

Update on the psu topic: I did manage to find a working 19V (should be close enough to the router's 19.5V) laptop psu to test the router with. It didn't power on with that one either and the psu made a weird pulsing sound of sorts during the test. I guess I'll complete the refund process after all. :)

Update on the psu topic: I did manage to find a working 19V (should be close enough to the router's 19.5V) laptop psu to test the router with. It didn't power on with that one either and the psu made a weird pulsing sound of sorts during the test. I guess I'll complete the refund process after all. :)

Did you check the polarity of the plug on the new supply ? If it was reversed the sounds you heard were probably something cooking. o_O

The voltage is very important, a 0.5V difference is too much (as it may be even more under load).

The amperage needs to be at least what the unit is rated for, but if it's more, that is acceptable too (the router will only draw what it needs).

I did manage to find a working 19V (should be close enough to the router's 19.5V)

RT-AX86U will boot and work normally with any power supply 12V 3A and above.

The power supply on my RT-AX86U is 19V @ 2.37A rated for 45W, while a 12V 3A PS may boot the router up, I don't believe it will properly power the router for stable 24/7 use. Particularly if the router in question is rated for 19.5V @ 2.31A.

People that just bench-test these devices shouldn't be giving possibly non-applicable advice about them.

That's interesting.

Asus uses 19V for cost cutting. Smaller PS with thinner wires and all the same for multiple models. Everything inside the routers is powered by step-down converters all under 12V output. This is valid for all models I've seen, not only RT-AX86U. Similar model RT-AX86S comes stock with 12V 3A PS.

1687049686263.png

The 'lessor' 's' version, not the full RT-AX86U. From your own screenshot. :rolleyes:

Did you check the polarity of the plug on the new supply ? If it was reversed the sounds you heard were probably something cooking. o_O
Yes, it was the right polarity. I made sure before testing. ;)

In case someone stumbles across this thread in the future looking for an answer to the original question, I have received confirmation from two folks who own GT-AX6000 units that SNMP is indeed supported on this model.