What's new

SoHo wireless router that supports 11k, 11v and 11r

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amato_C

New Around Here
Are there any SoHo wireless routers that support the following features:
  1. Neighbor reporting, 11k
  2. BSS Transition, 11v
  3. Fast BSS Transition (FT), 11r
These features are usually included in Enterprise WLAN access points. Are there any inexpensive Enterprise WLAN products that support all the above features?

I was able to determine the following:
  1. Apple Airport Extreme A1408, Model MD031LL/A = supports Neighbor report 11k
  2. Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC = supports Neighbor report 11k
As of now, I have been unable to find a SoHo wireless router that supports all 3 features (Neighbor reporting, BSS Transition and Fast BSS Transition).

Theres also mikrotik routerboard in the same catogary, their wireless features might also be determined by firmware too but im not sure if it supports what you want because i only use their wired only routers.

Im not up to date with the current routers but i suggest searching through brands that sell to enterprises devices that are meant to be used in bulk as you might find some that are inexpensive.

With neighbor reporting in the access device, how does one get a (consumer) client device to exploit that?
Years back, Cisco had "Cisco Certified Extensions" (CCE) for WiFi client devices.

The combo of all three are needed for devices to be certified as Voice-Enterprise capable.

Best thing is to run queries against the WiFi Alliance Product Database - you'll find most to be enterprise class Access Points - which makes sense, as typcially to support that level of roaming, one needs a controller as well as bandwidth reservation capability - enterprise grade VOIP..

how can you do fast roaming without a specially capable client? One that can take handoff directions from APs, or one that parses the neighbor list?

If the client supports 802.11r, that is all the client should need. At least as far as I am aware. I don't think 11v and 11k are actually needed by the client for seamless/fast transitions.

I know apple devices (clients) have supported 802.11r for awhile. I am not which other ones may support it. Of course the AP has to support 11r as well.

@stevech = how can you do fast roaming without a specially capable client?
To take advantage of 11k, 11v and 11r, both the client device and the access point must provide these features

@azazel1024 = If the client supports 802.11r, that is all the client should need.
802.11r does not take into account the time required for the WiFi client to scan prior to roaming. With 11k and 11v, the client is fully aware of the radio and network topology prior to roaming. This allows the client to not only make a wise decision on which BSSID to roam to, but also saves time in scanning - actively or passively.

@sfx2000 = Thank you. I ended up taking your suggestion and looking at the WFA website for Voice-Enterprise certified devices.

@sfx2000 = Thank you. I ended up taking your suggestion and looking at the WFA website for Voice-Enterprise certified devices.

They only recently starting explicit testing - so older devices may support it, just missing from their DB.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!