What's new

Sold Out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KWP369

New Around Here
Almost all Asus Wifi 6 devices are sold out (amazon, bestbuy, newegg etc etc). I've been doing my research (a lot, like 3-4 weeks of reading article after article) on all the different Wifi 6 devices mainly between Asus, Netgear, and TP-Link. I've finally decided on Asus (particularly the RT-AX89X) but that's been sold out with no expected return date for 2 weeks now. I was really hoping for a dual-band 12 stream, as my network has no need for tri-band at the moment. I also opted for the RT-AX89X over the RT-AX88U because of the 2.2 quad processor vs the 1.8 quad processor, plus 8 steam vs 12 stream. I'm at the point that I'm tired of waiting for the 89X to come back in stock have been trying to convince myself to get the 88U but now it's not in stock.....

Is this all due to Covid-19 and Asus factories weren't deemed essential so there's been no production or maybe the lack in components being imported???

Also I know Wifi 6E was just announced but I really don't want to wait around until the end of the year to upgrade my network. I am completely content with a standard Wifi 6 device for the time being.

Either way does anybody have any inside information on when the stores will start carrying product again.

Is this all due to Covid-19 and Asus factories weren't deemed essential so there's been no production or maybe the lack in components being imported???

I know that they had production issue earlier this year due to the crisis in China. They seem to have shifted part of their production to Vietnam based on what little information I have seen (I vaguely remember seeing a FCC change request that mentioned a change of manufacturing location for at least one product).

So, it's possible that the current shortage is tied to the production issues earlier this week, and the supply chain hasn't recovered yet.

If you live close to a micro center you might be able to find in store. No 88u’s available to ship atm.

So between the 89X and the 88U for an at home network am I going to notice a difference between the 8 stream and 12 stream. Also between the 2.2 and 1.8 ghz processors?

Not to go off-topic, but are there many WiFi 6 clients available yet, or are people just future-proofing and upgrading by attrition?

So between the 89X and the 88U for an at home network am I going to notice a difference between the 8 stream and 12 stream. Also between the 2.2 and 1.8 ghz processors?

If you use OpenVPN you may get a little more throughput with the faster processor. Keep in mind that OpenVPN 2.x is single threaded. I don't think you'll noticed the extra 0.4 GHz in normal operation though.

If you use OpenVPN you may get a little more throughput with the faster processor.

Which one is faster for OpenVPN though?
RT-AX88U - Broadcom BCM49408 - this one we know, ~250Mbps
RT-AX89X - Qualcomm IPQ8078 - what about this one?

The tech is still new and there is no reason to jump on the bandwagon just yet. Wait for proper reviews then wait for second generation of wifi 6 wifi routers.

Do you have any numbers to demonstrate the significance? My assumption was based on both having hardware accelerated AES and the faster cpu adding some speed.

Just to be clear, I am talking about 86U vs 68u.

I don't have numbers, but when I bought my first 86u, VPN speed was several times faster, enough that I would even call it dramatic.

But yeah, I would pick an 86u or 88u over the AX89 just for Merlin alone.

There is no word about RT-AC68U in this thread. :confused:

Holy dyslexia, mate, my bad entirely, thanks and apologies. Sometimes I wonder how I tie my shoes, but then I remember - the trick is hanging around people much smarter than me, and listening when they point out my many errors.

I know that they had production issue earlier this year due to the crisis in China. They seem to have shifted part of their production to Vietnam based on what little information I have seen (I vaguely remember seeing a FCC change request that mentioned a change of manufacturing location for at least one product).

interesting insight given that Asus is a Taiwanese company, and many manufacturers are finding alternatives to China. Some even started 3 years, and now they are sitting pretty.

Almost all Asus Wifi 6 devices are sold out (amazon, bestbuy, newegg etc etc). I've been doing my research (a lot, like 3-4 weeks of reading article after article) on all the different Wifi 6 devices mainly between Asus, Netgear, and TP-Link. I've finally decided on Asus (particularly the RT-AX89X) but that's been sold out with no expected return date for 2 weeks now. I was really hoping for a dual-band 12 stream, as my network has no need for tri-band at the moment. I also opted for the RT-AX89X over the RT-AX88U because of the 2.2 quad processor vs the 1.8 quad processor, plus 8 steam vs 12 stream. I'm at the point that I'm tired of waiting for the 89X to come back in stock have been trying to convince myself to get the 88U but now it's not in stock.....

Also I know Wifi 6E was just announced but I really don't want to wait around until the end of the year to upgrade my network. I am completely content with a standard Wifi 6 device for the time being.

Either way does anybody have any inside information on when the stores will start carrying product again.

I am interested to know why you picked Asus over Netgear or TPLink which I dont prefer but people say it does the same thing but for cheaper price.

Not to go off-topic, but are there many WiFi 6 clients available yet, or are people just future-proofing and upgrading by attrition?

Exactly I think. By the time there are more Wifi 6 devices, and likely jump to Wifi 6e, the Wifi 6 router becomes

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!