What's new

SOLVED - 386.4 Guest Network Sharing (JRiver/JRemote)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This looks like a bug.

Multiple music servers no longer function using their dedicated remote on dedicated frequency bands (one per) since moving from 384.19 to 386.4. The people at JRiver provided a lot of items to try over the past two days (and here too!), but to no avail. If it was one system I’d pin it on the server/remote software, but two using Debian or two using Ubuntu, even when switching between iPad or Android device remotes? No.

I’ll be glad to collect whatever data may be of help to track down the issue.

Without a technical description of how these devices are meant to communicate there's little we can do. All we know at the moment is one device comes up with a “Timed out” message. We know literally nothing else.

The remote and server communicate through port 52199. On the same local network loading the software and selecting an access code permits communication between the server and remote through the port - no other action required. To work through the internet the port needs to be open externally. Opening port 52199 or even when disabling the firewall on the server I was not able to connect on the same local network. My RT-AC5300 router setup is pretty much the default (band channels are chosen, not auto selected and I use Skynet).

I do appreciate everyone's help on this forum!

Can you connect from the JRemote device to any other service running on the server, e.g. a web server, FTP, SSH, etc?

Think I know where you're going, so I checked the router settings and by default “Set AP isolated” is set to “No” under Wireless -> Professional

But when I ping the remote device it fails, but when I check via “arp –a –n” it shows the correct device IP address for the remote but does not display the MAC address. This implies AP isolation is enabled though it is set to disable. I can also use the server to connect to the server over port ip:52199 via the web browser without issue.

EDIT: For grins I did a quick check on the web and found someone had the same issue, this time on stock RT-AC1200G+ firmware

Last edited:
Can you post the output of this command run on the router:
Code:
nvram show | grep ap_isolate | sort

Can you post the output of this command run on the router:
Code:
nvram show | grep ap_isolate | sort

size: 86022 bytes (45050 left)
wl0.1_ap_isolate=1
wl0.2_ap_isolate=1
wl0.3_ap_isolate=0
wl0.4_ap_isolate=0
wl0_ap_isolate=0
wl1.1_ap_isolate=1
wl1.2_ap_isolate=1
wl1.3_ap_isolate=0
wl1.4_ap_isolate=0
wl1_ap_isolate=0
wl2.1_ap_isolate=1
wl2.2_ap_isolate=0
wl2.3_ap_isolate=0
wl2.4_ap_isolate=0
wl2_ap_isolate=0
wl_ap_isolate=0

Thanks. So clients are currently isolated from each other on guest networks 2.4#1, 2.4#2, 5-1#1, 5-1#2 and 5-2#1. Presumably because you've set "Access Intranet" back to Disable.

However you said you tested this with both devices connected to a primary non-guest network as well as trying with "Access Intranet" set to Enabled. So those tests should have worked.

Which guest network are you currently testing with?

EDIT: Just realised something strange. You have four guest WiFi networks on each band? Is that normal for your router. Or is one of them perhaps and AiMesh backhaul or something?

Thank you for your help!

Yes, I tried "Access Intranet" before I did a factory reset and it didn't work, but I've completed a factory reset since then so I tried again: It still didn't work, so I disabled the firewall and it does. Why it won't function on my local network is very odd, but I now have a path.

As for the four networks I have no idea. The RT-AC5300 use 2.4:1/2/3, 5-1:1/2/3, and 5-2:1/2/3 so a total of three guest networks on each band.

I don't understand what firewall it is that you're disabling. The router, the server, etc?

Which guest network are these devices connected to?

Are you currently testing without Skynet (ever) having been installed?

If not, I don't believe your router/network setup is in a good/known state.

Repeating myself, a jump from 384.19 to 386.4 requires a full reset of the router/network. It doesn't seem like you've done that (properly) yet.

I don't understand what firewall it is that you're disabling. The router, the server, etc?

Which guest network are these devices connected to?

I disabled the firewall on the server (ufw disable). The remote now connects if I open port 52199 on the server (ufw allow 52199/tcp). When I sent "All intranet" it picks up everything across all guest networks on 2.4Ghz - certainly not isolated anymore, but a bit too much me thinks. Shouldn't it just to pickup items off the single guest network (2.4 GN2 in this case) and not others?

Skynet has been tested: That's not it. I formatted jffs on the most recent factory reset and entered all changes manually (no backup file) - if the router still isn't right after all that I'm throwing it out.

With the steps you indicate above, if you plugged in the USB drive into the router without first formatting it on a PC, then it may still be possibly interfering.

I disabled the firewall on the server (ufw disable). The remote now connects if I open port 52199 on the server (ufw allow 52199/tcp).
OK that makes complete sense. I thought you had tested this to begin with so my previous replies regarding the firewall were assuming you were talking about the router's firewall not the PC. I guess that was prior to experimenting with AP isolation.

When I sent "All intranet" it picks up everything across all guest networks on 2.4Ghz - certainly not isolated anymore, but a bit too much me thinks. Shouldn't it just to pickup items off the single guest network (2.4 GN2 in this case) and not others?
Yes, this "all or nothing" isolation issue is a change in behaviour from the previous firmware you had. Hence me asking you to do all that testing (before discovering the server's firewall was not set correctly). The problem is that there is no manual option in the GUI to change the guest network's WiFi isolation (it uses the Access Intranet setting). However you can change it via the appropriate nvram variable.

Last edited:
Based upon the chain of events the key issue was going from 384.19 to 386.4 without a full factory reset. It wasn't until after the reset was performed and the settings were entered manually that the "Access Intranet" setting in the router and disabling the server firewall functioned properly (they didn't before the factory reset). L&LD was right about needing the factory reset (and I did format the USB & set the router from USB3 to USB2 before use). And your network inputs got me to the right solution.

A "thank you" to both.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!