What's new

[SOLVED] Can't flash back to factory from DD-WRT Kongac build 23900M

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
I've tried loading the .chk files for NETGEAR versions V1.0.3.56_1.1.25 and V1.0.1.22_1.0.15.chk and neither gets me back to factory.

Doing this from a laptop connected directly to router via Ethernet.

And, no, I don't want to stay on DD-WRT. I was just experimenting and need this back to factory firmware.

I guess the sixth (or so) time's the charm. Finally got it flashed.

This is why I don't often futz with alternative distros...

To flash back to stock from Kong's on the R7000, you have to take a couple of special steps. I don't recall off-hand what they were but I remember having to reflash a couple of times before it worked.

To flash back to stock from Kong's on the R7000, you have to take a couple of special steps. I don't recall off-hand what they were but I remember having to reflash a couple of times before it worked.
I quickly checked the DD-WRT and MyOpenRouter forums for similar problems and found none.

All the info I found was from earlier versions and indicated no problem getting back to factory. So much for believing what I read on the internet!

I quickly checked the DD-WRT and MyOpenRouter forums for similar problems and found none.

All the info I found was from earlier versions and indicated no problem getting back to factory. So much for believing what I read on the internet!

I've done this maybe 100 times or so *smile*. No problems, just be sure to reset to factory defaults liberally. Nothing special to do, can't recall ever needing to do this anywhere near 6 times, not even twice, to tell you the truth. But sometimes you just get lucky...sounds like perseverance furthered for you.

I'm more likely to get caught up in flashing a second time to fix a problem that I knew that I shouldn't be having, and that actually usually works.

I'm sure my turn to be lucky will come, just hasn't happened yet *smile*.

I guess the sixth (or so) time's the charm. Finally got it flashed.

This is why I don't often futz with alternative distros...

Actually fell for this two, but since I had two units and it was always working on one but not on the other I started digging:)

On the netgear download site you will find All Region, NA version and you can't mix them. If you have a NA model you can't flash the All Region version, if you try dd-wrt tells you flashing is complete, then reboot and still show dd-wrt. Same applies to netgear fw, but most people will just use the auto update feature and thus never ran into the problem.

Most likely you tried flashing the wrong fw for your model. I sent a pm to kong 2 weeks ago and he told me he updated the model strings, not sure if it is already included in his latest 24xxx builds

That's what it was. You have to reset to factory defaults immediately after flashing or it brings up the DD-WRT GUI instead of Netgear stock. I believe that's the issue.

Thanks for the analysis, Mordred. I had tried to flash NETGEAR 1.0.3.56 from Kongac build 23900M. The NETGEAR download site doesn't specify whether that version is all region or NA only. But the release notes refer to a Japan DFS fix, so must be all region.

That's what it was. You have to reset to factory defaults immediately after flashing or it brings up the DD-WRT GUI instead of Netgear stock. I believe that's the issue.
Hi,
And you will get default Netgear user name/password. Or it'll be root/admin
dd-wrt stuff. Flashing back and forth procedure is well laid out by Kong.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!