1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

[SOLVED] Device location issue, need advice...

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by htismaqe, Mar 22, 2019.

1. htismaqe

htismaqe Very Senior Member

I currently have a Netgear R7800 running Kong DD-WRT.

I have my 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz interfaces using the same SSID, we have mostly new devices and they pretty reliably switch back and forth.

However, we just purchased a new smart TV and it happens to be in a the exact location where it can't decide to connect to 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz, so sometimes it bounces back and forth.

I'm wondering if I should setup a dedicated virtual SSID similar to my guest network, confined to just one band, so that the TV can't bounce.

Any thoughts?

2. ColinTaylor

ColinTaylor Part of the Furniture

My TV suffered from the same indecision :D so I've used the wireless MAC filter to stop it connecting to one of the AP's. I don't know whether that would work in your situation (assuming DD-WRT supports MAC filters lists). Worth a try.

3. htismaqe

I actually only have 1 AP so I would have to force it to connect only one band. I could do that by setting up a new virtual SSID (I already have two for the guest network) and just bridge it to the eth0 LAN, I'm just not sure if that's the right solution or not. I literally don't have this issue with any other device, so it's frustrating.

4. ColinTaylor

Same here, but each band is technically a different AP and each has its own MAC filter list.

5. htismaqe

Interesting. I'm guessing if you can do it on RMerlin, DD-WRT can do it.

EDIT: Yep, I can use MAC filters to do it. Thanks!

6. ColinTaylor

Will it be enough to stop it bouncing though? I guess time will tell. If not then your idea of having a separate SSID looks like a good solution.

7. htismaqe

Good question. I might setup a dedicated 5Ghz SSID just for the smart TVs (the other two use 5Ghz and don't bounce) and see how well it works. I also have a 5Ghz client bridge I could use I suppose. Then I could place it better and use an ethernet cable to the TV.

8. htismaqe

Ended up setting up the 5Ghz client bridge to see how it worked. It is, of course, flawless. Seems like this LG TV just has a terrible wireless adapter or something because the bridge is right next to the TV and has a 30% better 5Ghz signal. (Ironically, the TV had a better 5Ghz signal than 2.4Ghz signal most of the time, so why it was switching to 2.4Ghz, I have no freaking clue. LOL)

ColinTaylor likes this.