What's new

[SOLVED] Help! Cannot connect AC68U to my AC86U as aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
First he got 66U_B1 not 66U and B1 is same as 68U and supports Aimesh!
Second he uses WIRED backhaul, so there is no need for any Wifi at all to mesh them!

He has a 66U that support AiMesh... the build ID is irrelevant to my observation regarding no Smart Connect support on any and all 66Us.

Despite using a wired backhaul, there was some earlier notion that all radios still need to be ON and within range to permit adding a node. For lack of a better idea, it's worth considering and easy to verify.

OE

This router fully supports aimesh. I’m not sure about the ssid feature but regardless of that, my rog router should be able to find and add the 66u as a node.

I tend to agree with your earlier sentiment... if it doesn't support Smart Connect and using same SSIDs, then it doesn't fully support AiMesh or the spirit of a mesh system. In this respect... ASUS and its AC1900 packaging are a bit misleading, imo.

Their problem is that the AC1900s never supported Smart Connect, but ASUS did not let that stop them from retrofitting the firmware to support AiMesh... an improvement for existing owners; a disappointment for a new buyer planning to use AiMesh with same SSIDs.

OE

Correct. This router fully supports aimesh. I’m not sure about the ssid feature but regardless of that, my rog router should be able to find and add the 66u as a node. It does find it but it doesn’t add it.

All 3 routers were bought in the United States, the one set up as a mesh router and the two as nodes.

My problem is not with what aimesh can or cannot do at the moment. I wish I was at that point. My problem is following the set up instructions provided in the router box, to the letter, do not work. I get up to 3% slowly then it goes to 100 real quick and fails
SmartConnect would make Aimesh better as it includes band and node-steering, but Aimesh works on 68U or 66U_B1 too with fewer features.

Did you update all routers to the latest firmware?
Maybe ROG has a problem to recognize the new routers.
I had this problem too (sometimes even upto 80% slow and skipping or very fast last 20% and failing), cant say what changed the routers mind to connect some day. It is dependent on firmware and maybe there must be enough free NVRAM.
Some had the problem with ethernet backhaul (distance has no influence), others with WiFi, some on short range or when node has been too far away, try 3m away.
You should factory reset nodes before trying to connect and make no setup on them, just power on.

Enable WPS, needed to connect them first time!

Last edited:
SmartConnect would make Aimesh better as it includes band and node-steering, but Aimesh works on 68U or 66U_B1 too with fewer features.

Did you update all routers to the latest firmware?
Maybe ROG has a problem to recognize the new routers.
I had this problem too (sometimes even upto 80% slow and skipping or very fast last 20% and failing), cant say what changed the routers mind to connect some day. It is dependent on firmware and maybe there must be enough free NVRAM.
Some had the problem with ethernet backhaul (distance has no influence), others with WiFi, some on short range or when node has been too far away, try 3m away.
You should factory reset nodes before trying to connect and make no setup on them, just power on.

Enable WPS, needed to connect them first time!

yes! i've tried to factory reset all routers, changed firmwares, updated back to the newest ones, etc.

The router works fine as an access point. Say, if I have my rog router connected to my would be aimesh router with a lan cable, the aimesh router works perfectly fine but it gives it's own different ssid and I see absolutely no benefit to this than what I had before (two access points)

If you follow the instructions it then tells you to set your router close to the other one and sync them, thats when the problem happens.

I would use lan cables from the main router to the aimesh nodes, as I already have the home installation for this. I just wish there was a way to do the sync without having to be wireless. I know that you can then use the aimesh wired or wireless as you like but the actual sync process seems to have to be wireless.

He has a 66U that support AiMesh... the build ID is irrelevant to my observation regarding no Smart Connect support on any and all 66Us.

Despite using a wired backhaul, there was some earlier notion that all radios still need to be ON and within range to permit adding a node. For lack of a better idea, it's worth considering and easy to verify.

OE

He is right that I am using wired for the aimesh so in that sense I don't care about the wifi range and all that. The problem is the actual sync process where my main router has to add the other two. That process seems to have to be wireless and the routers have to be really close to each other. This is where I am stuck.

As far as I know all the radios are on, I am connecting to both routers via wifi to do the configs.

I would use lan cables from the main router to the aimesh nodes, as I already have the home installation for this. I just wish there was a way to do the sync without having to be wireless. I know that you can then use the aimesh wired or wireless as you like but the actual sync process seems to have to be wireless.

The actual sync process doesn't have to be wireless. You can sync through LAN cables, and then place the node anywhere you'd like wirelessly.

I was facing the same issue as nyvram as well. I couldn't get either of my nodes to connect over Wi-Fi. Once the setup process reached ~51%, it would zip through to 100%, ending unsuccessfully.

With the AX11000 as my main router, I can confirm that setting up both of my RT-AC86U boxes as nodes via Ethernet cable, and then going wireless, works great. This saved me from having to reset either of the devices. Thanks!

The actual sync process doesn't have to be wireless. You can sync through LAN cables, and then place the node anywhere you'd like wirelessly.

I've tried this, even with the wired connected between both routers, it doesn't add the node, it tries to sync but goes really quickly to 100%

There is nowhere in the instructions or online that says that you can do the sync wired, it says you have to have both routers close to each other.

Yes, I can make them work as access points but that's something else.

lets say I restart the router to factory default then connect it with a lan cable to my current router (the one connected to the DSL modem) then I log into the router that's meant to be a node and it asks me what kind of connection I want. I click on "aimesh node" and the router will restart itself back to factory default.

At this point, once it reboots, it will actually work fine as an access point, the red light turns to blue and it's working. But it doesn't show up as a mesh router and the SSID is still the same default one as it was before. So I don't get the actual benefit of this compared to an AP.

Ok let me update, I think I finally got this to work.

I had tried to do the sync with a lan cable between both routers but that wasn't working. I guess I did that when one of the routers wasn't in the newest firmwares (as I told you, I tried several firmwares with both routers) this is the first time i tried to do the lan sync with both routers in the newest firmware.

When I tried to find the router it found it as it always did but this time around instead of showing a signal icon it showed a LAN icon. This got me excited because at least something looked different from all my previous attempts. It wen't slowly up to 80% then quickly to a 100% and... success!

Now I still have to disconect this and go down stairs, replace my old router I used as an AP with this one and see if it's actually repeating the same SSID. I'll report later.

I've tried this, even with the wired connected between both routers, it doesn't add the node, it tries to sync but goes really quickly to 100%

There is nowhere in the instructions or online that says that you can do the sync wired, it says you have to have both routers close to each other.

Yes, I can make them work as access points but that's something else.

lets say I restart the router to factory default then connect it with a lan cable to my current router (the one connected to the DSL modem) then I log into the router that's meant to be a node and it asks me what kind of connection I want. I click on "aimesh node" and the router will restart itself back to factory default.

At this point, once it reboots, it will actually work fine as an access point, the red light turns to blue and it's working. But it doesn't show up as a mesh router and the SSID is still the same default one as it was before. So I don't get the actual benefit of this compared to an AP.

• Do not login into the AiMesh node router at all, or try to configure it. The AiMesh router will do all of the work.
  • Factory reset the AiMesh node, power it on, and run an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the AiMesh router to the WAN port of AiMesh node.
  • From the AiMesh router, navigate to Network Map/AiMesh Node, and click Search. It should find the node that you just factory reset without issue, and sync flawlessly.
  • Once syncing has completed, power off the AiMesh node, move it to wherever you like, and power it on.
  • The AiMesh node will then sync with the AiMesh router, regardless if you remain wired, or go wireless.

• Do not login into the AiMesh node router at all, or try to configure it. The AiMesh router will do all of the work.
  • Factory reset the AiMesh node, power it on, and run an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the AiMesh router to the WAN port of AiMesh node.
  • From the AiMesh router, navigate to Network Map/AiMesh Node, and click Search. It should find the node that you just factory reset without issue, and sync flawlessly.
  • Once syncing has completed, power off the AiMesh node, move it to wherever you like, and power it on.
  • The AiMesh node will then sync with the AiMesh router, regardless if you remain wired, or go wireless.

This is exactly what I was trying but for some reason even wired it wasn't letting me sync. It's as if it still saw it as wireless. I am guessing this feature was either added later (or fixed) in a firmware update because when I tried it I was probably downgraded in one or both routers. This time around both routers were in the newest and it worked great.

Just as an update, I installed it downstairs and the SSID stays the same, this is great. I always had the issue of my wife constantly nagging that the internet is slow and I always had to tell her "did you connect to this room's access point?" and that was always the issue, she was downstairs still connected to the bedroom's router or some other version of that.

Now on to the second router... wish me luck!

This is exactly what I was trying but for some reason even wired it wasn't letting me sync. It's as if it still saw it as wireless. I am guessing this feature was either added later (or fixed) in a firmware update because when I tried it I was probably downgraded in one or both routers. This time around both routers were in the newest and it worked great.

Just as an update, I installed it downstairs and the SSID stays the same, this is great. I always had the issue of my wife constantly nagging that the internet is slow and I always had to tell her "did you connect to this room's access point?" and that was always the issue, she was downstairs still connected to the bedroom's router or some other version of that.

Yeah, I've been there with the whole access point ordeal. :eek:

Good luck, bro! You got this! :D

Ok, finally got it to work. I didn't update my progress because right after the router was identified and added, it disconected and everything stopped working. Not to mention my rog router wasn't even finding the second router, forget syncing, this time I wasn't even able to find it at all. It took several resets and I don't know what else for it to finally get the first router online and then after some trouble syncing the second one it finally did.

So now instead of having SSID's around the house with names such as "Tv room, bedroom, etc. Now the whole thing is just the same name. I have to say I am happy with the end result but not happy at all with the "seamless installation" but hey, it works. I am going to buy another two and put them in different places around the house to absolutely cover everything but only these two will be wired.

I have such an on and off love relationship with asus routers. My rog router had some really nice features, one called VPN fussion, which allowed me to pick which devices around the house connected through VPN and which didn't. This was so great... until they broke it with a firmware upgrade and never fixed it again.

Then they also broke the MAC Clone option and I had to go through hell to find a workaround.

I could go on but right now I am happy.

Thanks for your help!

Thats why I wrote: update to latest firmware!
And I said factory reset without any config on node.
Yes wired Aimesh pairing has been included somewhat later about Eo'18.

It is not a good idea to have too many Wifi-routers in your home, 3 should be enough., but we dont know your home - too many will make it worse!

Thats why I wrote: update to latest firmware!
And I said factory reset without any config on node.
Yes wired Aimesh pairing has been included somewhat later about Eo'18.

It is not a good idea to have too many Wifi-routers in your home, 3 should be enough., but we dont know your home - too many will make it worse!

Yeah, I was using the latest firmware for most of my troubleshooting but since it wasn’t working I downgraded. It was when I was downgraded that I tried to paid them up wired and that wasn’t working. It was until I upgraded both firmware’s again that it finally recognized the router as being connected. Before it still recognized it as wireless even if it was wired.

I’m guessing this house will be perfect with two more. I have an area around the kitchen that will also cover some of the patio and then the other side of the house could use an extension but the majority of the interior is now covered by one ssid and that’s pretty cool.

Good thing I know how to set them up now.

OE
This method did not require a factory reset (of my original primary AiMesh router):

a) Confirm that my primary AiMesh router's (RT-AX88U) firmware was current.
b) Manually setup my 68U as an access point.
c) Found it's new IP address (check the client list in your primary router), navigate to it's login screen.
d) Updated the firmware in my 68U, multiple times - until there were no more updates (Administration>"Check Update").
e) Browse to the 68U, Administration>Select Mode = AiMesh.
f) Hard reset the 68U using the back button.
g) Reboot the 68U, follow the startup prompts for AiMesh on the 68U, Search for AiMesh devices on the AX88U.

Last edited:
This method did not require a factory reset:

a) Confirm that my RT-AX88U firmware was current.
b) Manually setup my 68U as an access point.
c) Found it's new IP address (check the client list in your primary router), navigate to it's login screen.
d) Updated the firmware in my 68U, multiple times - until there were no more updates (Administration>"Check Update").
e) Browse to the 68U, Administration>Select Mode = AiMesh.
f) Hard reset the 68U using the back button.
g) Reboot the 68U, follow the startup prompts for AiMesh on the 68U, Search for AiMesh devices on the AX88U.

I can't say I know or remember what you are posting about, but I do see a reset in your method and I'm sure there's a reset in your future! :)

OE

I can't say I know or remember what you are posting about, but I do see a reset in your method and I'm sure there's a reset in your future! :)

OE
To clarify, it doesn't require a reset of the primary AiMesh router when adding a new node. Obviously resetting a new node isn't an issue. But yes, you're probably right, there will ALWAYS be a reset in my future!

ps. I clarified my response above.

To clarify, it doesn't require a reset of the primary AiMesh router when adding a new node. Obviously resetting a new node isn't an issue. But yes, you're probably right, there will ALWAYS be a reset in my future!

ps. I clarified my response above.

Got it.

I usually just hard reset the node and then add it to the AiMesh from the router. If an update is required, do that first via the usual Quick Setup. I guess I don't understand your steps b,c,e. A node does not require any configuration... just reset it and add it.

OE

Got it.

I usually just hard reset the node and then add it to the AiMesh from the router. If an update is required, do that first via the usual Quick Setup. I guess I don't understand your steps b,c,e. A node does not require any configuration... just reset it and add it.

OE

I tried it without b, c, and d the first time. Although the primary found the node initially (completed the 0-100% configuration), it never found it again and the node misbehaved. So I reset it and forced the firmware upgrade (b, c, d) then it all feel into place perfectly. So far...

After wireless fail connect it for an hour, desperately, this LAN-WAN method works! However, I setup the AiMesh node first, without connect it with WAN, just go to main page to upload the latest firmware. After the main router (no need reset!) and node both have the same latest firmware (81351), then I reset the node to factory default and using the above mentioned LAN-WAN method.

Many thanks to this forum for the help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!