What's new

[SOLVED] Help! Cannot connect AC68U to my AC86U as aimesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Do not login into the AiMesh node router at all, or try to configure it. The AiMesh router will do all of the work.
  • Factory reset the AiMesh node, power it on, and run an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the AiMesh router to the WAN port of AiMesh node.
  • From the AiMesh router, navigate to Network Map/AiMesh Node, and click Search. It should find the node that you just factory reset without issue, and sync flawlessly.
  • Once syncing has completed, power off the AiMesh node, move it to wherever you like, and power it on.
  • The AiMesh node will then sync with the AiMesh router, regardless if you remain wired, or go wireless.
I've had to reset my AC3100 AiMesh router. When I attempt to reconnect my two AC3100 AiMesh nodes I keep getting an error message that someone else is trying to setup AiMesh also. Now the kid next door has a tri-band Asus router, don't know which model, but that has never been an issue in the past. Is the new firmware an issue? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped. Doing exactly as above.

I've had to reset my AC3100 AiMesh router. When I attempt to reconnect my two AC3100 AiMesh nodes I keep getting an error message that someone else is trying to setup AiMesh also. Now the kid next door has a tri-band Asus router, don't know which model, but that has never been an issue in the past. Is the new firmware an issue? Does anyone have any ideas? I'm stumped. Doing exactly as above.
Apparently the issue is firmware related. I downgraded each wireless node from the current firmware version (81116) to the previous version (45717) and all was well. The wireless router remained on 81116 but the setup kept coming back with the "another user is attempting to setup..." error message until downgrading the wireless node to 45717. Weird huh? Has anyone else experienced this?

BTW, I am leaving the nodes on 45717.

Edit: On 3-20-20 I upgraded each node to 81116 and they are all working fine. Bizarre, eh?

Last edited:
Hi,
I had the same problem, but after reading the posts I realized that both my 2.4GHz and 5GHz WiFi had the same name. After changing the names to different names it worked fine.
Best,
Anders

I come across this post and share my experience...

I did hit similar AiMesh node adding issue, and tried a lot of works. I think the process is super buggy and fix is only by chance. In my exp, I did not change anything, keep retrying 5 times and the last time it worked... But I am now very hesitate to repeat the setup...

Hello, I think I'm at the same frustrated point as the OP before he found a solution, I haven't. I have two former T-Mobile AC1900 turned RT-AC68U, I have hard reset both, upgraded to latest firmware, I have tried adding the node wired, wireless, I have tried all wired laptop to router to node, no success, I have tried laptop wireless, router to node wired, no success.
Tried laptop wireless, router wireless, node wireless, no success. Tried hard reset node and then adding node wired and wireless and no success.
Tried hard reset for both, started router from scratch and added new hard reset node and nothing.

Both my 2.4 & 5 SSID have the same name but I don't think that is the issue. Any other ideas?

That not gone to working, converted router can't use Aimesh.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/the-tm-ac1900-is-not-supported.48056/
Actually that is wrong, I have two former T-Mobile routers that I turned to RT-AC68Us and set them up as Aimesh so that is proof enough that it works, nevertheless one of the main reasons for turning the TMO AC1900 to a RT-AC68U is to use Aimesh. The TMO AC1900 is a RT-AC68U flashed with TMO firmware.
And btw I reported that link as it is false.
More proof the statement is wrong

Last edited:
Actually that is wrong, I have two former T-Mobile routers that I turned to RT-AC68Us and set them up as Aimesh so that is proof enough that it works, nevertheless one of the main reasons for turning the TMO AC1900 to a RT-AC68U is to use Aimesh. The TMO AC1900 is a RT-AC68U flashed with TMO firmware.
And btw I reported that link as it is false.
More proof the statement is wrong
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...d-forks-on-non-asus-devices-is-illegal.44636/

It is illegal use of ASUS' intellectual property to flash a T-Mobile router with either ASUS or Merlin firmware. Yes, it's possible to do it, but information on how to do it is not allowed here on SNBForums.

I had similar issues with my mesh (3x AX92U), a few months ago when I did a firmware update, then just now when I tried to factory reset one flaky node and re-add it. I've seen a lot of suggestions, and I'm honestly not sure what it was that finally made it work for me. Might be:

* Set web access to "both" (HTTP and HTTPS)
* Manually turn on WPS
* Manually un-hide the SSID for 5-2 band
* DHCP issues
* NTP issues (tried to set up whole network without internet access, fails if one node's clock is too far wrong due to SSL errors)
* Same username/password on both devices?
* Same SSID on both devices?

I think my least favorite thing about AiMesh setup is how little detail you get when the process fails. When it Just Works, it's great, but when it fails it makes me want to tear my hair out.

I had similar issues with my mesh (3x AX92U), a few months ago when I did a firmware update, then just now when I tried to factory reset one flaky node and re-add it. I've seen a lot of suggestions, and I'm honestly not sure what it was that finally made it work for me. Might be:

* Manually turn on WPS
* DHCP issues
* NTP issues (tried to set up whole network without internet access, fails if one node's clock is too far wrong due to SSL errors)

I think my least favorite thing about AiMesh setup is how little detail you get when the process fails. When it Just Works, it's great, but when it fails it makes me want to tear my hair out.
try using the asus router phone app instead of the gui. Somehow I found it is much easier than the web ui to success.

Hello, I think I'm at the same frustrated point as the OP before he found a solution, I haven't. I have two former T-Mobile AC1900 turned RT-AC68U, I have hard reset both, upgraded to latest firmware, I have tried adding the node wired, wireless, I have tried all wired laptop to router to node, no success, I have tried laptop wireless, router to node wired, no success.
Tried laptop wireless, router wireless, node wireless, no success. Tried hard reset node and then adding node wired and wireless and no success.
Tried hard reset for both, started router from scratch and added new hard reset node and nothing.

Both my 2.4 & 5 SSID have the same name but I don't think that is the issue. Any other ideas?

Did you flash the CFE to ai-meshable version? I had the same converted version very long time ago and have the issue add as node but realize I need different CFE version to make it work and it actually work after the extra step.

One bug i found when rebuilding my mesh recently

* Manually turn on WPS
* DHCP issues

WPS is probably the key - i noticed that the AIMesh 2 screens don't prompt you to turn on WPS, if off, and thus fail. The "Network Map" screens do.

• Do not login into the AiMesh node router at all, or try to configure it. The AiMesh router will do all of the work.
  • Factory reset the AiMesh node, power it on, and run an ethernet cable from the LAN port of the AiMesh router to the WAN port of AiMesh node.
  • From the AiMesh router, navigate to Network Map/AiMesh Node, and click Search. It should find the node that you just factory reset without issue, and sync flawlessly.
  • Once syncing has completed, power off the AiMesh node, move it to wherever you like, and power it on.
  • The AiMesh node will then sync with the AiMesh router, regardless if you remain wired, or go wireless.
Uh....I know I'm responding to an old post but dude....I was stressing so bad after updating my merlin firmware today today to 386.4_0. Everything was good until I couldn't get my aimesh nodes to connect. Its been awhile since I had updated my firmware and when I did it last time I had no issues finding the aimesh nodes wirelessly. No matter what I did this time..no go till....I found this post:)......thanks dude

Uh....I know I'm responding to an old post but dude....I was stressing so bad after updating my merlin firmware today today to 386.4_0. Everything was good until I couldn't get my aimesh nodes to connect. Its been awhile since I had updated my firmware and when I did it last time I had no issues finding the aimesh nodes wirelessly. No matter what I did this time..no go till....I found this post:)......thanks dude
Very welcome. Glad to help. :)

I had the same problem with a brand new RT-AX56U extender I purchased with AI Mesh capability (specifically because it had this feature). I got very frustrated with the error message, and after the 10th attempt of moving the extender ever closer to my router, I even tried plugging the RT extender into a power extension cable and placed it literally on top of my Asus router and it still failed. Here's what I did to fix it.

Head to the main router settings and suspend 2.4Ghz connections (not delete just suspend)
Download 'Asus extender' app on iOS or Android.
Set up the extender like you're planning to use it as a standard extender (don't worry this will be scrubbed later)
Allow the device to fully update
From the Asus extender app, tap the extender, in my case this was the RT-AX56Y entry, and select the 'reset as a mesh device'
The device will fully reset and tell you to go through a set up process (this is the web process)
Now head back into the 'Asus Router' app on iOS or Android
Head to the Mesh settings
Add the extender
_____
Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!