What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would anyone be interested in a version of this that can run on a Pi/Linux box? I'm thinking of those with high bandwidths that cause the router version to fail

Would anyone be interested in a version of this that can run on a Pi/Linux box? I'm thinking of those with high bandwidths that cause the router version to fail
I would be interested, especially now that the rPi 4 has true Gb Ethernet.
I have long been a fan of Raspberry Pi’s as more powerful “co-processors” to ASUS routers.

Hi Jack,

I just tried the aarch64 version on my AX88U. Ran fine, reported correct speedtest values (I am on a 100 down, 10 up Spectrum link). I did notice a short spike in memory usage (via htop) when I started, but it settled down nicely. I also saw at least 5 threads of speedtest running.

I also have an AC88U running in Media Bridge mode. So, I tried the 2 32 bit versions on that. The arm-linux worked fine, the armhf-linux gave an illegal instruction.
Both AX88U and AC88U are running 384.15

One more thing, your links above in your post didn't work for me. I suspect the ":" before the filename is a problem.

Hi Jack,

I just tried the aarch64 version on my AX88U. Ran fine, reported correct speedtest values (I am on a 100 down, 10 up Spectrum link). I did notice a short spike in memory usage (via htop) when I started, but it settled down nicely. I also saw at least 5 threads of speedtest running.

I also have an AC88U running in Media Bridge mode. So, I tried the 2 32 bit versions on that. The arm-linux worked fine, the armhf-linux gave an illegal instruction.
Both AX88U and AC88U are running 384.15

One more thing, your links above in your post didn't work for me. I suspect the ":" before the filename is a problem.
Links fixed, thanks. I suspected armhf wouldn't work - I get the feeling that's for devices like the RPi. My knowledge of CPU architectures is shoddy :(

There's a v3 on the develop branch for any willing early access testers. To get it, change the word master to develop on line 24 (SCRIPT_BRANCH) using your favourite text editor, then run option u

Launch spdmerlin after upgrading, and let me know how you get on!

Keen to see what happens with non-HND models, but all should be OK!

I pay for 200 mb download and 20 mb upload but actually get 220 mb download and 20 mb upload so this speed test is pretty much spot on

5687d29a51e753599003adb47f66e0e7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have it installed and running on my AC86 384.14 and it runs fine showing 235/12 which is what Comcast over provisions my 200/10 connection at.

Nice feature is that it shows how much data each test uses so you can determine how many hours a day you want to run automatic speeds tests to prevent blowing through your data CAP.

Thanks.

Just as an update I have attached a screen shot showing that apparently my download speed as shown on this test has increased. I started the new version of spdMerlin around 2 PM.

FYI: I don't run speed tests during prime time or overnight which accounts for that long down slope of average during those hours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-12-26 Internet Speedtest.png
    Screenshot_2019-12-26 Internet Speedtest.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:
I have it installed and running on my AC86 384.14 and it runs fine showing 235/12 which is what Comcast over provisions my 200/10 connection at.

Nice feature is that it shows how much data each test uses so you can determine how many hours a day you want to run automatic speeds tests to prevent blowing through your data CAP.

Thanks.

Just as an update I have attached a screen shot showing that apparently my download speed as shown on this test has increased. I started the new version of spdMerlin around 2 PM.

FYI: I don't run speed tests during prime time or overnight which accounts for that long down slope of average during those hours.
It does seem to run better and give closer to full speed for me - and the router hasn't crashed yet like it would with the python implementation!

I'll await feedback over the next couple of days to see how it goes for everyone before making it mainstream. I'm hoping some non-HND users will test as well :)

There's a v3 on the develop branch for any willing early access testers. To get it, change the word master to develop on line 24 (SCRIPT_BRANCH) using your favourite text editor, then run option u

Launch spdmerlin after upgrading, and let me know how you get on!

Keen to see what happens with non-HND models, but all should be OK!

Development branch OK on an AC68U.

Feedback wanted! With v3, you can now configure multiple interfaces, e.g. WAN and VPN Client 1. Preferred Server feature was designed when a single interface existed, so in v3 the same server will be used for all tests. While this might be fine for local VPN Servers, a US VPN Server testing against a UK Speedtest site will be slower.

Choice are:

1) Do nothing, the behaviour of a single preferred server for all interfaces is fine
2) Implement a preferred server for each interface
3) Use preferred server only for WAN, VPN interfaces will use an auto-selected server

Please let me know your preference!