What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Upgraded to V3 from develop and the results are good for the WAN 238 Mbps, however I am not sure that my AC86 has enough CPU power to run a speed test and a VPN client at full bore. As the tested speed exceeds 100 Mbps the CPU usage on both cores goes over 90%. The maximum tested speeds to two different VPN servers was 125 Mbps. Connected to the router with an Ethernet cable using the same VPN client and servers I can exceed 200 Mbps .

Memory use is probably another factor.

Still a very nice piece of work. Thank you. Best wishes for the New Year and happy coding!

PS: Is my memory playing tricks on me or did you remove the button to do manual speed tests on the speed test page in tools?

Last edited:
Upgraded to V3 from develop and the results are good for the WAN 238 Mbps, however I am not sure that my AC86 has enough CPU power to run a speed test and a VPN client at full bore. As the tested speed exceeds 100 Mbps the CPU usage on both cores goes over 90%. The maximum tested speeds to two different VPN servers was 125 Mbps. Connected to the router with an Ethernet cable using the same VPN client and servers I can exceed 200 Mbps .

Memory use is probably another factor.

Still a very nice piece of work. Thank you. Best wishes for the New Year and happy coding!

PS: Is my memory playing tricks on me or did you remove the button to do manual speed tests on the speed test page in tools?
I did remove it for the time being, correct.

I pull in 150Mbps or so on a local NordVPN server, I suspect a vpn with a lower strength cipher such as 128 will be faster

I get around 150 Mbs using ExpressVPN on my RT-AC86U

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did remove it for the time being, correct.

I pull in 150Mbps or so on a local NordVPN server, I suspect a vpn with a lower strength cipher such as 128 will be faster

One of my VPN PIA clients runs 128 and the other 256. Not enough difference to state one is faster or slower than the other with any confidence level.

I've seen 275Mbps with NordVPN and AES-256, but with the router running VPN client and another device running the speed test. What @CaptainSTX is talking about is both running on the router in the same time. I expect both VPN and speed test to slow down, displaying inaccurate results. Can't help you with testing though guys, I don't have RT-AC86U anymore.

I've seen 275Mbps with NordVPN and AES-256, but with the router running VPN client and another device running the speed test. What @CaptainSTX is talking about is both running on the router in the same time. I expect both VPN and speed test to slow down, displaying inaccurate results. Can't help you with testing though guys, I don't have RT-AC86U anymore.
I'm dabbling with taskset, but it's not making much of a difference.

I think we are CPU bound for now. Speedtest CLI could probably take advantage of multiple cores to improve perf, I think?

Ah.

On-demand speedtest is back, I found a way to make it work :)

Thanks for putting the button back so I don't think I am losing my mind faster than I am.

Retested VPN speed by connecting fastest computer by Ethernet cable set it up so it connects to the VPN client running on router for PIA AES-256 , server in major city 400 miles distant and I then run a speed test on the PC. Get nearly line speed at 228 Mbps.

Running the speed test on the router using the same VPN seems highly variable. Normally around 120 -130 Mbps but once it reported over 200 Mbps.

Router isn't that heavily loaded, base load before test shows 2-3 % CPU on each core, have 19 devices connected most of which are IoT devices. No QOS, Just two VPN clients and a VPN server running along with a few scripts.

No real complaints just relating my experience with this nicely enhanced utility which is very useful. Key value of it to me is tracking how consistent WAN connection is so if I have issues I have some hard facts to show to Comcast or Netflix.

No complaints here either [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think we are CPU bound for now. Speedtest CLI could probably take advantage of multiple cores to improve perf, I think?

I don't know why you guys are torturing the router, actually. How important is to see how fast the Internet connection is every few hours? My ISP speed is about the same all the time with some exceptions in high traffic hours, but acceptable. In theory it's 300Mbps and it's somewhere around this number. 250Mbps or 300Mbps... it doesn't really matter. None of my clients will notice the difference anyway. The poor RT-AC86U can't really fit it's own firmware components in 512MB RAM, you plan to give him even more to chew.

To all early adopters on develop, are you happy that spdmerlin v3 is stable enough to be made the main release? I'm happy with things here (and no complaints of issues from my wife, so that's always a good sign!)

Works great for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know why you guys are torturing the router, actually. How important is to see how fast the Internet connection is every few hours? My ISP speed is about the same all the time with some exceptions in high traffic hours, but acceptable. In theory it's 300Mbps and it's somewhere around this number. 250Mbps or 300Mbps... it doesn't really matter. None of my clients will notice the difference anyway. The poor RT-AC86U can't really fit it's own firmware components in 512MB RAM, you plan to give him even more to chew.
The new binary has a fairly small impact on RAM, but not enough to cause problems. That's why we have a swap file :)

Some of us like pretty graphs to play with, others use it to keep an eye on WAN perf (in the UK we get refunded if the ISP fails to meet a minimum speed, defined in the contract).

Given you don't have the 86U anymore, which device are you running Merlin on?

To all early adopters on develop, are you happy that spdmerlin v3 is stable enough to be made the main release? I'm happy with things here (and no complaints of issues from my wife, so that's always a good sign!)
I've no problems with it at all.

Running V3 on an AX88U. Looks great!
Release the hounds ;-)

spdMerlin v3.0.0 is now available

Please run a speedtest manually after updating, to ensure licenses are accepted

Changelog:
Code:
Replace unofficial Python speedtest-cli with official Ookla Speedtest CLI (includes licenses that must be accepted prior to use)
Add support for additional interfaces in speedtests
Charts in WebUI now dynamically generated based on interface selection

That's why we have a swap file

This swap file on a USB stick is not helping, Jack. May do something on a SSD and USB3.0, eventually. But if the new script has low memory footprint and doesn't interfere with primary router functions, why not? As you say, some of us like pretty graphs. See below...

...which device are you running Merlin on?

Currently running Untangle NG Firewall on x86 hardware and 2 x EAP245 access points. I have more pretty graphs than you. :D

This swap file on a USB stick is not helping, Jack. May do something on a SSD and USB3.0, eventually. But if the new script has low memory footprint and doesn't interfere with primary router functions, why not? As you say, some of us like pretty graphs. See below...
As an emergency buffer, it helps.

Currently running Untangle NG Firewall on x86 hardware and 2 x EAP245 access points. I have more pretty graphs than you. :D
That's a different beast altogether. I think you should show a little more appreciation for the hard work put in by @RMerlin and others to make available the features we have on consumer grade hardware, frankly.

features we have on consumer grade hardware

I have access to many different ASUS (and other manufacturers) models. I can still help testing features, but December to February is my busy period. Black Friday sales, Christmas sales, etc. SNB is like change of subject for me in this period. You know I'm joking about the graphs, right? My DIY x86 setup is still work in progress due to lack of free time.

Last edited: