What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

While the graphs are showing up after reboot, when I press the refresh button after reboot it breaks the graph. Sorry for not being more exact about this.
Try a Ctrl + F5 - might be browser cache

EDIT: If not, run
Code:
/usr/bin/find /www/ext/*speed*.png
and post the output

EDIT: And to check, you did definitely update to 1.0.2?

Try a Ctrl + F5 - might be browser cache

EDIT: If not, run
Code:
/usr/bin/find /www/ext/*speed*.png
and post the output

EDIT: And to check, you did definitely update to 1.0.2?
Will do and yes I did upgrade. I rebooted right after I upgraded and had the same results. I'll reboot again and do what you said and see if this works. BTW, I really like what you're doing. Keep up the good work.:)

Will do and yes I did upgrade. I rebooted right after I upgraded and had the same results. I'll reboot again and do what you said and see if this works. BTW, I really like what you're doing. Keep up the good work.:)
@Jack Yaz it worked!:D I rebooted and the graphs worked on both ntpmerlin and spdmerlin. Thank you for your help. Also, if it happens again, I'll let you know.

Edit: I spoke to soon, It still is doing it with ntpmerlin. Sorry

Last edited:
Just installed it on my RT-AX88U and it works without any issues. Just waiting for the graph to populate. Thanks for this cool script.

WIP: upload_2019-4-5_19-2-14.png

I assume its pulling location based off IP address? I ask because mine normally shows NC at work, but actually closer to Atl, GA server. Same for the house, have speedtest server like down the road but GA server shows as closest.

I assume its pulling location based off IP address? I ask because mine normally shows NC at work, but actually closer to Atl, GA server. Same for the house, have speedtest server like down the road but GA server shows as closest.
It's using --list from speedtest-cli - so I don't know how it queries your location

It's using --list from speedtest-cli - so I don't know how it queries your location

I never have pings of 80-90 (average 25-30) so
I am wondering what location it is going by....uhmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you doing anything else bandwidth-heavy at the time? Traffic to/from the router itself seems to bypass QoS

Are you doing anything else bandwidth-heavy at the time? Traffic to/from the router itself seems to bypass QoS

Nope, not really. Just me and my laptop running speed tests from the spdmerlin when everyone is asleep.

spdMerlin is not playing nice with my 86U. It is causing my router to reboot. Looking at the screenshot below I installed spdMerlin around midnight. Around 8am I logged into the router and noticed less than an hour of uptime. Thinking it might be a memory issue I deleted my 500 MB swap file and created a 2 GB swapfile (not sure but I think I rebooted the router after the swapfile was done). When I got home around noon I took a look at the graphs and the reboots did not get fixed. That morning at 10am I got an email from my ISP asking if everything was ok with my connection and mentioned that my router has dropped 30 times in the last 24 hours. Eight or so of those were user generated reboots. Also, the upload speed is way off. Using a fast server I hit 940/940. I ran the ookla test from their website thinking it would choose the same server as the spdMerlin and got the results in the second image below. The download spdMerlin is closer to actual. Pings are way off also.

upload_2019-4-5_16-52-32.png

upload_2019-4-5_16-52-46.png

spdMerlin is not playing nice with my 86U. It is causing my router to reboot. Looking at the screenshot below I installed spdMerlin around midnight. Around 8am I logged into the router and noticed less than an hour of uptime. Thinking it might be a memory issue I deleted my 500 MB swap file and created a 2 GB swapfile (not sure but I think I rebooted the router after the swapfile was done). When I got home around noon I took a look at the graphs and the reboots did not get fixed. That morning at 10am I got an email from my ISP asking if everything was ok with my connection and mentioned that my router has dropped 30 times in the last 24 hours. Eight or so of those were user generated reboots. Also, the upload speed is way off. Using a fast server I hit 940/940. I ran the ookla test from their website thinking it would choose the same server as the spdMerlin and got the results in the second image below. The download spdMerlin is closer to actual. Pings are way off also.

View attachment 16890

View attachment 16891
That's not good - first reports of reboots being caused. If it's spdMerlin causing it the reboots would be around 10 past or 40 past each hour - does syslog match this?

That's not good - first reports of reboots being caused. If it's spdMerlin causing it the reboots would be around 10 past or 40 past each hour - does syslog match this?

This is a common occurrence in the log so yes, looks like it's for sure spdMerlin.
Apr 4 09:40:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest now...
May 5 01:05:05 kernel: klogd started: BusyBox v1.25.1 (2019-04-03 18:32:13 EDT)

This is a common occurrence in the log so yes, looks like it's for sure spdMerlin.
Apr 4 09:40:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest now...
Strange - does it happen if you manually run a test in the terminal? Would be useful if you could run htop in a separate SSH session to monitor if RAM usage is going overboard

Strange - does it happen if you manually run a test in the terminal? Would be useful if you could run htop in a separate SSH session to monitor if RAM usage is going overboard
Could it be other tools that are eating too much RAM with overly aggressive blocking lists? I have been running spdmerlin without issue on an 86u -- the router also uses ntpmerlin, Stubby, Diversion, and Skynet.

I'm using the default blocklist with Diversion which I don't believe is very big.

I don't have nor know how to install htop but I did run top. I don't know how to decipher the output but here is what I got.

Idle before the test:
upload_2019-4-5_17-35-43.png

During the test:
upload_2019-4-5_17-35-54.png

A few moments later the putty screen seems to reset and I get this:
upload_2019-4-5_17-36-19.png

Then I think putty freezes and the screen above and the putty session stay static.
upload_2019-4-5_17-37-7.png

Router was fine. Had to close out the two putty sessions. After the I installed spdMerlin to run these test it did complete a test after the install. Looking back to yesterday a number of test did complete successfully but every now and then it would reboot the router. Hit or miss.

I'm using the default blocklist with Diversion which I don't believe is very big.

I don't have nor know how to install htop but I did run top. I don't know how to decipher the output but here is what I got.

Idle before the test:
View attachment 16894

During the test:
View attachment 16895

A few moments later the putty screen seems to reset and I get this:
View attachment 16896

Then I think putty freezes and the screen above and the putty session stay static.
View attachment 16897

Router was fine. Had to close out the two putty sessions. After the I installed spdMerlin to run these test it did complete a test after the install. Looking back to yesterday a number of test did complete successfully but every now and then it would reboot the router. Hit or miss.
I wonder if your link speed is the issue. I can enable "--single" which simulates a typical file transfer, but won't be your "full speed".

For others, regarding inconsistencies: https://github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli#inconsistency

my pings are up to 12 from 0 still get zero at speediest page.
everything else matches up.
Thanks @Jack Yaz ! love it!
ps.
dont know if it relevant but running "/jffs/scripts/spdcli.py --list "
gives me a list of servers none from Europe the closest being 8000km.
My real closest server is 1km away.

Ok not sure what is happening.

Apr 5 18:40:00 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest now...
Apr 5 18:40:59 spdMerlin: Finished speedtest
Apr 5 18:40:59 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 455.41 Mbit/s - Upload: 10.24 Mbit/s - Ping: 18.377 ms

the end of the May 5th entries is here. So, looking at the timestamp and confirming with uptime the router rebooted at 19:10:09 but no notice of starting the speedtest this time.

May 5 01:05:19 WLCEVENTD: eth6: Assoc 3C:28:6D:F1:C9:FA
Apr 5 19:11:22 rc_service: ntp 1202:notify_rc restart_diskmon

I'm going to watch the log during the 19:40 run that is happening shortly.