What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I noticed that since installing spdMerlin my free router memory is slowly declining. Yesterday evening it was at 312MB free and today around 1pm at 156MB. I just updated to 1.1.0. Let see how it looks after another 24h.
What does
Code:
ps | grep spdcli.py
and
Code:
ps | grep spdmerlin
return?

There should be no results (1 if you count the grep), as the script only runs when you're in the menu, or during the schedule 10/40 past

What does
Code:
ps | grep spdcli.py
and
Code:
ps | grep spdmerlin
return?

There should be no results (1 if you count the grep), as the script only runs when you're in the menu, or during the schedule 10/40 past

ASUSWRT-Merlin RT-AX88U 384.10-2 Wed Apr 3 22:32:23 UTC 2019
Stefan@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep spdcli.py
22257 Stefan 5316 S grep spdcli.py
Stefan@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root# ps | grep spdmerlin
22309 Stefan 5316 S grep spdmerlin
Stefan@RT-AX88U:/tmp/home/root#

You really should have a swap file installed. If you do, then free RAM is not an issue any longer. ;)
I do:
SWAP File; /tmp/mnt/USBDrive/myswap.swp (1.0G)

Testing the new options available in spdMerlin 1.1.0 on an RT-AC68U RMerlin 384.10_2 powered Asus router on a nominal 75/75Mbps up/down Fibre ISP connection that achieves an over-provisioned 90Mbps up/down using an i3 powered desktop computer (running Windows 7).

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the multi-connection mode in spdMerlin, the test in PuTTY shows 86.16 Mbit/s and Upload 26.19 Mbit/s ping 5.432 ms.

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the single-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 86.84 Mbit/s and Upload 45.66 Mbit/s - ping 5.593 ms.

Using the (2) preferred server in the multi-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 86.46 Mbit/s and Upload 22.13 Mbit/s - ping 6.027 ms.

Using the (2) preferred server in the single-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 86.82 Mbit/s and Upload 46.65 Mbit/s - ping 5.134 ms.

For this connection, the best results were with a preferred server set and in single-connection mode.

I also noticed that the test would vary depending on if I had PuTTY and the GUI showing the CPU graphs going at the same time. They would be lower in this case. ;)

This backs up my belief that for this CPU level of the router and an ISP connection of 50Mbps up/down or less is a better match of obtaining accurate results.

I looked to find the option to have spdMerlin not run twice every hour, but I don't think it is implemented yet? :)

Working great for me on both on multiple 86U (one with 300/20 and a second with 100/10 connections) and 68U (60/7 connection). Thanks!

Testing the new options available in spdMerlin 1.1.0 on an RT-AC68U RMerlin 384.10_2 powered Asus router on a nominal 500/15Mbps up/down cable ISP connection that reaches (highly variable) 450Mbps up and 16Mbps down using an i7 powered desktop computer (running Windows 10).

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the multi-connection mode in spdMerlin, the test in PuTTY shows 111.64 Mbit/s and Upload 14.21 Mbit/s ping 22.029 ms.

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the single-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 110.18 Mbit/s and Upload 13.57 Mbit/s - ping 20.254 ms.

Using the (2) preferred server in the multi-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 119.00 Mbit/s and Upload 13.59 Mbit/s - ping 28.615 ms.

Using the (2) preferred server in the single-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 114.02 Mbit/s and Upload 12.95 Mbit/s - ping 27.804 ms.

For this connection, the best results were with a preferred server set and in multi-connection mode.
But this also shows how bad cable is (ping times and high variability) vs. Fibre. :)

Testing the new options available in spdMerlin 1.1.0 on an RT-AC86U RMerlin 384.10_2 powered Asus router on a nominal 500/15Mbps up/down cable ISP connection that reaches (highly variable) 450Mbps up and 16Mbps down using an i7 hex-core powered desktop computer (running Windows 10).

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the multi-connection mode in spdMerlin, the test in PuTTY shows 312.31 Mbit/s and Upload 16.34 Mbit/s ping 16.213 ms.

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the single-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 241.14 Mbit/s and Upload 18.62 Mbit/s - ping 13.816 ms.

Using the (2) preferred server in the multi-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 311.36 Mbit/s and Upload 14.00 Mbit/s - ping 19.0 ms.

Using the (2) preferred server in the single-connection mode the test in PuTTY shows 180.67 Mbit/s and Upload 18.50 Mbit/s - ping 20.73 ms.

For this connection, the best results were also with an auto-select server set and in single-connection mode.

This again shows how bad cable is (ping times and high variability) vs. Fibre.

The router makes a big difference and also the modem the cable company is supplying. ;)

The next test I do (much later today) will be on the same router (RT-AC86U) but on a 1Gbps Fibre connection.

I noticed that since installing spdMerlin my free router memory is slowly declining. Yesterday evening it was at 312MB free and today around 1pm at 156MB. I just updated to 1.1.0. Let see how it looks after another 24h.

That's exactly the problem I have.
But I didn't install spdMerlin at all, only Diversion and Skynet. The memory runs full after a few days, despite 1GB swap file. The swap file is obviously used very little, only 0.3% I think. The router is then no longer normal to use and must be restarted.

Maybe you need a separate thread for this problem.

:)

That's exactly the problem I have.
But I didn't install spdMerlin at all, only Diversion and Skynet. The memory runs full after a few days, despite 1GB swap file. The swap file is obviously used very little, only 0.3% I think. The router is then no longer normal to use and must be restarted.

Maybe you need a separate thread for this problem.

:)
I didn't have that problem before installing spdMerlin. It was stable with about ~324MB free memory running for 6 days.

Jack Yaz, I would like to report my RT-AC86U + 1Gbps ISP results as I just now came across my notes again. Not that I really needed them though. :(

Testing the new options available in spdMerlin 1.1.0 on an RT-AC86U RMerlin 384.10_2 powered Asus router on a nominal 1Gbps up/down Fibre ISP connection that regularly achieves 960Mbps up and 950Mbps down using an i7 quad-core powered desktop computer (running Windows 10).

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the multi-connection mode in spdMerlin, the test in PuTTY shows 612.09 Mbit/s and Upload 14.62 Mbit/s ping 24.022 ms.

Unfortunately, I was unable to continue testing with any of the other options. The router would lock, break the connection with PuTTY, disconnect all wireless devices and, when I remembered to begin checking with a wired computer, the WAN would show connected (by turning it on and off, it would get a new lease), but it wouldn't pass that through to any device on the network. No internet at all.

I'm guessing that is because of Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Stubby and Skynet being used too? I tried to test for that too.

I had to perform a reboot on the router to get the network up again, each time. I tested this about a dozen different ways between my two routers and with various scripts disabled too (no scripts installed on the RT-AC3100 the last few times, and yes, I had to do a full reinstall on that one after the testing went south quickly). :p

The same issues as above when I used my RT-AC3100 to test this script with the 1Gbps ISP connection too. I don't know what the issue or issues could be? I'm going to stop testing this specific script, for now.

Not only is it not stable for me, but the results are far (2/3's for downloads) and very, very, very far (1/70th uploads) to what I can achieve with a more capable computer than my most powerful (RT-AC86U) router at this time.

I hope this can be of help somehow? I will continue to enjoy your other fine scripts and look forward to any new ones you may be working on too. Thank you as always for giving us a new reason to 'play' with the toys we have. :)

Jack Yaz, I would like to report my RT-AC86U + 1Gbps ISP results as I just now came across my notes again. Not that I really needed them though. :(

Testing the new options available in spdMerlin 1.1.0 on an RT-AC86U RMerlin 384.10_2 powered Asus router on a nominal 1Gbps up/down Fibre ISP connection that regularly achieves 960Mbps up and 950Mbps down using an i7 quad-core powered desktop computer (running Windows 10).

Using the (1) full 'auto' settings in the multi-connection mode in spdMerlin, the test in PuTTY shows 612.09 Mbit/s and Upload 14.62 Mbit/s ping 24.022 ms.

Unfortunately, I was unable to continue testing with any of the other options. The router would lock, break the connection with PuTTY, disconnect all wireless devices and, when I remembered to begin checking with a wired computer, the WAN would show connected (by turning it on and off, it would get a new lease), but it wouldn't pass that through to any device on the network. No internet at all.

I'm guessing that is because of Diversion, pixelserv-tls, Stubby and Skynet being used too? I tried to test for that too.

I had to perform a reboot on the router to get the network up again, each time. I tested this about a dozen different ways between my two routers and with various scripts disabled too (no scripts installed on the RT-AC3100 the last few times, and yes, I had to do a full reinstall on that one after the testing went south quickly). :p

The same issues as above when I used my RT-AC3100 to test this script with the 1Gbps ISP connection too. I don't know what the issue or issues could be? I'm going to stop testing this specific script, for now.

Not only is it not stable for me, but the results are far (2/3's for downloads) and very, very, very far (1/70th uploads) to what I can achieve with a more capable computer than my most powerful (RT-AC86U) router at this time.

I hope this can be of help somehow? I will continue to enjoy your other fine scripts and look forward to any new ones you may be working on too. Thank you as always for giving us a new reason to 'play' with the toys we have. :)
I'm suprised to hear single mode didn't help things, I'm sure its memory related, and while a swap file will help, a 1gbps test is probably chewing through ram faster than the router can swap!

By the way, if anyone has an idea for something they'd like to see in script form, then let me know :)

I'm suprised to hear single mode didn't help things, I'm sure its memory related, and while a swap file will help, a 1gbps test is probably chewing through ram faster than the router can swap!

By the way, if anyone has an idea for something they'd like to see in script form, then let me know :)

Wow! The people here are so genuinely nice! :):):)

How would you feel attacking the old NVRAM Save/Restore Utility that john9527 started a long time ago? Even just parts of it?

I don't know how feasible it is, but as a 'like', it would be right up there with the RMerlin firmware + amtm + scripts all by itself. :D:D:D

On a more down to earth scale, a few bits of code that can be executed via PuTTY and amtm (like an NVRAM erase and an NVRAM partition erase function) would be cool. That is the kind of stuff that I forget and is hard to look up on the web, reliably. :)

Thank you for asking, and sorry for suggesting! :oops::D:)

I do:
SWAP File; /tmp/mnt/USBDrive/myswap.swp (1.0G)
The memory is still slowly declining. This morning it was down to 82MB.

The memory is still slowly declining. This morning it was down to 82MB.

Which router? I have my RT-AC68U with a 2GB swap file and it is showing 28MB of free RAM. But the responsiveness of the router's GUI and the rest of the network is impressive! :)

I would not be too worried about it. The os on the router knows how to manage itself. ;)

I start a full time consulting job starting next week. So, my time will be very limited. I plan to go live with one more project soon, then go into support mode and spend any remaining spare time working on my blog site.

The initial effort appears to involve looking at the nvram-sample.ini and nvram-merlin.ini files and updating the list of nvram values with any updates since the 380.x firmware release came out. I plan on doing that for the settings I use and will make a pass of getting it working.
Perhaps we should spin off a conversation to discuss this

Another sneak peek:
upload_2019-4-8_20-41-49.png

Ohhh goody! here are my 2 faves ATM:

1- set up a WireGuard VPN server for clients to connect to:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/experimental-wireguard-for-rt-ac86u.46164/

2-turn my router into a node on hyperboria. it relies on cjdns, which is conveniently (last I checked) in entware
https://docs.meshwith.me/
This one I'd suggest you devs do among yourselves in the background until it's ready for primetime. A global merlin mesh would be supercool...and as I understand it, the more nodes, the faster/more robust. Yes, a Merlin SkyNet kinda dealie...

Which router? I have my RT-AC68U with a 2GB swap file and it is showing 28MB of free RAM. But the responsiveness of the router's GUI and the rest of the network is impressive! :)

I would not be too worried about it. The os on the router knows how to manage itself. ;)

On my RT-AX88U, I'm not worried yet since the router seems to work just fine. I think it's strange that every hour I loose about 4-6MB of memory. Another 24h and my routers main memory will be used up and everything is going to the swap file. This is not normal behavior and shouldn't happen.