What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I wonder why it is firing off so many times to start :/

Can you please check that something hasn't gone awry in /jffs/scripts/services-start please?
Sure. Here is my services-start:
#!/bin/sh
/jjfs/scripts/setbashrc.sh
/jffs/scripts/uiScribe startup # uiScribe
/jffs/scripts/connmon startup # connmon
if [ -x /jffs/scripts/MountNAS.sh ]; then
/jffs/scripts/MountNAS.sh # mount local QNap Nas
fi
/jffs/scripts/ntpmerlin startup # ntpMerlin
cru a root_servers "12 4 * * * curl -o \/opt\/var\/lib\/unbound\/root\.hints https://www.internic.net/domain/named.cache" # unbound_manager
cru a UpdateRPZ "*/15 * * * * /opt/var/lib/unbound/rpzupdate.sh"
/jffs/addons/unbound/unbound_rpz.sh startup # Unbound_RPZ.sh
/jffs/addons/unbound/ubcash restore & # Restire Unbound cache if not too old
/jffs/scripts/spdmerlin startup & # spdMerlin

Note - MountNAS.sh is a one-line script that mounts my local NAS share (smb)
ubcash restore is a home made script that reloads unbounds cache if less than 10 mins old.

If you want, I can comment out various scripts.

Possibly some progress. Adding "startup" to the list of commands in the grep command in Entware_Ready allowed it to start and add an entry to cru. Tab is back in GUI.
For some reason, I needed to run a speedtest manually to get the web data to display. Initially it was blank.

Possibly some progress. Adding "startup" to the list of commands in the grep command in Entware_Ready allowed it to start and add an entry to cru. Tab is back in GUI.
For some reason, I needed to run a speedtest manually to get the web data to display. Initially it was blank.
The startup command should be blocked until Entware is ready, otherwise sqlite3-cli won't be ready. I think Entware took longer than 120s so the script tripped over itself, but I am not sure why spdMerlin tried to run quite so many times

EDIT: Can you check how many times services-start was called on bootup? If you like, you can PM me a full output of syslog so i can see what's firing and when

EDIT2: Actually, I bet it's service-event firing multiple times.

Mine loaded back OK on reboot. Only trouble I had was my RT-AC86U threw one of it's fits and laid down and went to sleep.
When I woke it up, everything seemed fine. I ran a speed test to check it, but did not verify the file on the usb.
edit: This showed up in system log, but may be unrelated:

Code:
Apr 18 08:04:15 RT-AC86U-8F38 amas_lib[1128]: Error locking /var/lock/amas_node_list.lock: 0 Already locked
Apr 18 08:04:15 RT-AC86U-8F38 amas_lib[1128]: Error unlocking -1: 9 Bad file descriptor

RT-AC86U w/ 384.16, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, OpenVPN

Last edited:
I suspect a race condition caused service-event to fire for an unrelated script and my function greedily blocked any other spdmerlin calls. I've pushed a fix to not check for entware if the service call is not for spdmerlin

I did the update. That did the trick, spdmerlin survived the reboot!

BTW, I put an "echo date >> /jffs/tmpfile" in /jffs/services-start and with my system (AX88U, 384.16) services-start appears to be called just once.

My speedtest tab is gone from the add ons interface after running the test version with the usb file. I was trying to decide whether to toggle it off.
The speed tests are still happening though.
edit: I updated to 3.5.0. That may take care of it.
I assume the purpose of the files on the usb is to make it more efficient?

After thinking about it, It may have been showing that 3.4.0 was the latest and I had 3.5.0.
My SpdMerlin tab is still missing. Anybody else?

edit2: After reboot, SpdMerlin tab is back in the add ons, and it is still running OK.

Last edited:
I'm getting this since the last update:
Code:
z.    Uninstall spdMerlin

############################################################

Choose an option:
spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: xxxxx - xxxxxx (id = xxxxx)
        ISP: MG PE
    Latency:    24.92 ms   (4.24 ms jitter)
   Download:    48.02 Mbps (data used: 86.8 MB)
     Upload:    43.29 Mbps (data used: 73.9 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.3%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/xxxxxxxxx

spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 48.02 Mbps (data used: 86.8 MB) - Upload: 43.29 Mbps (data used: 73.9 MB)

spdMerlin: tun11 not up, please check. Skipping speedtest for VPNC1

Error: near line 4: no such table: spdstats_VPNC1
Error: near line 3: no such table: spdstats_VPNC1
Press enter to continue...
I have configured a VPN profile, but I'm not using VPN.

@Jack Yaz
I'm stuck due to the fact that my client is showing higher speeds OOKLA and spdMerlin showing less, how is it possible? Tested and tried again and again with similar disparity, I'm not using any QOS, using nativeinative with fall back for ipv4 support

Any help?
o_O

@Jack Yaz
I'm stuck due to the fact that my client is showing higher speeds OOKLA and spdMerlin showing less, how is it possible? Tested and tried again and again with similar disparity, I'm not using any QOS, using nativeinative with fall back for ipv4 support

Any help?
o_O
If you mean the router shows lower speeds than a speedtest from a connected PC, from post #1
spdMerlin uses SpeedTest CLI
If the speeds from this utility are significantly lower than those you see from the desktop app/browser test, the limiting factor will be your router's CPU. That being said, there is probably room for improvement/optimisation by the Ookla team in the CLI binary itself. Please direct feedback about speed issues to Ookla via the above link. There is nothing that I can do about them.

I'm getting this since the last update:
Code:
z.    Uninstall spdMerlin

############################################################

Choose an option:
spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using auto-selected server for WAN interface

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: xxxxx - xxxxxx (id = xxxxx)
        ISP: MG PE
    Latency:    24.92 ms   (4.24 ms jitter)
   Download:    48.02 Mbps (data used: 86.8 MB)
     Upload:    43.29 Mbps (data used: 73.9 MB)
Packet Loss:     0.3%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/xxxxxxxxx

spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 48.02 Mbps (data used: 86.8 MB) - Upload: 43.29 Mbps (data used: 73.9 MB)

spdMerlin: tun11 not up, please check. Skipping speedtest for VPNC1

Error: near line 3: no such table: spdstats_VPNC1
Press enter to continue...
I have configured a VPN profile, but I'm not using VPN.
I recommend disabling the VPN in spdMerlin (option c off the top of my head)

I've been running the test version for a few days now, and it has survived multiple reboots. My router is running smoother than ever, has less garbage in the logs, and has more baggage than ever, as far as custom scripts, etc. are concerned. Granted, I don't really know what to look for in the logs.
I guess it works best under pressure <knock on wood> .
jts

RT-AC86U w/ 384.16, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin, OpenVPN selective clients

I've been running the test version for a few days now, and it has survived multiple reboots. My router is running smoother than ever, has less garbage in the logs, and has more baggage than ever, as far as custom scripts, etc. are concerned. Granted, I don't really know what to look for in the logs.
I guess it works best under pressure <knock on wood> .
jts

RT-AC86U w/ 384.16, RT-AC68U Aimesh node w/ same, Diversion, UiDivstats, Skynet, AiProtection, Scribe, UiScribe, Conmon, SpdMerlin, ScMerlin, Nsrum, NtpMerlin, OpenVPN selective clients

Those scripts (because they're tuned like race cars!) barely touch what the equipment you're running them on can do, but they keep the junk out of the end user's datastream, and that gives the network and everyone on it a better experience interfacing with the information superhighway.

Yea, the cpu cores are usually idling at about 3-5% unless something screwy is going on or it's doing something big, which isn't often.
Both hardware acceleration components (runner and flow cache) are still enabled even with the Aiprotection et cetera.
I like my Asus router. And I love the software that makes it tick.

Last edited:
If you mean the router shows lower speeds than a speedtest from a connected PC, from post #1
Happens to me too. I have written also to Ookla to see if they can make it work equal as the rest, because I've found it very useful these days where ISP's here are overloaded and I want to be aware when they are not offering the bandwidth I've subcribed for.

Using S.G.S9+ Duos w/ Tapatalk

Two suggestions:
1.: Would you please implent an option to use 24h time format in GUI (instead of am/pm)
2.: Switch off GUI completely.
Thanks!

First, why not?
Second, I don't use the GUI, just the terminal/command line script and output.
Third, because, when I click on "Addons", the spdMerlin GUI tab is the first one that appears. But I want the second tab (uptime monitoring) to appear first.

First, why not?
Second, I don't use the GUI, just the terminal/command line script and output.
Third, because, when I click on "Addons", the spdMerlin GUI tab is the first one that appears. But I want the second tab (uptime monitoring) to appear first.
The GUI is one of the main features, I'm not going to implement a way to disable it for the time being. Changing the order of scripts in services-start should sort out the tab order, however

I would prefer the tabs in Addons to appear alphabetically! I dislike them jumping around from one router to the next. :)