What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see that you could potentially run the speedtest over VPN, to check the throughput. It says VPNC1 to VPNC5, but they are disabled for me. Looking at the VPN page, the names of the interfaces are OVPN1 to OVPN5 and WGC1 to WGC5. Is it possible to select those to run the test on?
Interfaces should only show as disabled in spdMerlin if you don't actually have the respective client/interface configured over in the vpn section. If you do have a client enabled and spdMerlin wont let you select it, then it's a bug.

Unfortunately I don't have an asus router to develop with so i wouldn't be able to fix it.

Same applies to wireguard - it should be trivial to add to spdMerlin but I don't have a way to implement it. Somebody ask @Martinski reallly nicely

I see that you could potentially run the speedtest over VPN, to check the throughput. It says VPNC1 to VPNC5, but they are disabled for me. Looking at the VPN page, the names of the interfaces are OVPN1 to OVPN5 and WGC1 to WGC5. Is it possible to select those to run the test on?
Would this work for you, @Shades? Just added the capability of testing either the WAN or VPN from the speedtest page in RTRMON...

1684010709626.png

Thanks for the tools, been using it for a long time to keep an eye on the service quality in case of issues to contact ISP to either fix or refund partially for bad service.

Have you looked into whether it may be possible to collect stats of actual bandwidth speed usage?

To help evaluate whether it's worth upgrade internet speed package.
I see QoS shows realtime Mbps and Traffic Analyzer only provides stats on total capacity used, similar to the the bandwidth monitoring script.

I feel this is what most people have a hard time to evaluate and thus often go with the fasted broadband just in case, or worse most don't realise they may only use a fraction of their max internet speed (on a regular basis).

Thanks for the tools, been using it for a long time to keep an eye on the service quality in case of issues to contact ISP to either fix or refund partially for bad service.

Have you looked into whether it may be possible to collect stats of actual bandwidth speed usage?

To help evaluate whether it's worth upgrade internet speed package.
I see QoS shows realtime Mbps and Traffic Analyzer only provides stats on total capacity used, similar to the the bandwidth monitoring script.

I feel this is what most people have a hard time to evaluate and thus often go with the fasted broadband just in case, or worse most don't realise they may only use a fraction of their max internet speed (on a regular basis).
The developer @Jack Yaz is no longer developing for Asus-Merlin. I believe his Asus router died and elected to go with PFSense. All of his projects are open source and are available on Github if you feel like improving any of his projects. A few users of done some maintenance work on Jack's script to keep up with firmware changes and some have done some enhancements to YazDHCP.

ehh what is this why no more speedtests
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - -
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Connection quality - -
Dec 20 21:00:12 spdMerlin: Retrieving data for WebUI charts

The speedster was going so fast, it entered a different timeline. Hence why you couldn't see the results. Just ask @Viktor Jaep who ventures there all the time via vpn tunnels..

What firmware release?

Have you kept up with your spdMerlin subscription payments?

I heard the rates double as it gets closer to XMAS.
Yeah, the Black Friday deals are definitely over for the spdMerlin subscriptions! Perhaps leave spdMerlin off until the new year, and hopefully there will be some sales events then?!

Yeah, the Black Friday deals are definitely over for the spdMerlin subscriptions! Perhaps leave spdMerlin off until the new year, and hopefully there will be some sales events then?!
yea the deals crashed when cyber monday ended. If you were not apart of that cyber monday special, you didn't get the "locked-in" rates.