What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hello! I setup spdMerlin yesterday and now I want to change some settings but as I try to do anything I get these error messages. What should I do? I have a Kingston 32 gig USB-stick mounted to USB 3.0 port and its running swap file which is 10 gigabytes. I have 18 gigs of free space left, but its still saying I dont have space on device.

sed: can't create temp file '/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/configyXCk2P': No space left on device
sed: can't create temp file '/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/configXYXw9N': No space left on device
sed: can't create temp file '/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/configQgbo2Q': No space left on device
spdmerlin is trying to use jffs, which is full, and not your USB

spdmerlin is trying to use jffs, which is full, and not your USB
I see. I try to free some space by uninstalling some addons that I really dont need.

Edit: Well that didnt work, but I rebooted my router and I got one addon uninstalled. Now I have some free space to workaround with.

Last edited:
Hello! I setup spdMerlin yesterday and now I want to change some settings but as I try to do anything I get these error messages. What should I do? I have a Kingston 32 gig USB-stick mounted to USB 3.0 port and its running swap file which is 10 gigabytes. I have 18 gigs of free space left, but its still saying I dont have space on device.

sed: can't create temp file '/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/configyXCk2P': No space left on device
sed: can't create temp file '/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/configXYXw9N': No space left on device
sed: can't create temp file '/jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/configQgbo2Q': No space left on device
Perhaps your /jffs directory is full. Could you run df -kh and see its utilization.

Perhaps your /jffs directory is full. Could you run df -kh and see its utilization.
Yeah I saw it was having only 20mb of free space from scMerlin site. Everything is running fine now.

Hey @Jack Yaz ,

Hope you are well!

"
spdMerlin includes the required licenses, which must be accepted on install of spdMerlin.
As of spdMerlin v4.4.0 the Asus built-in Ookla speedtest binary is used to run the speedtests."

- What are the benefits of using ookla built in test vs speedtest-cli?

fyi
on devices that use ipv6 cli doesn't work
Code:
Starting speedtest using Orange Polska S.A. (Szczecin, Poland) for WAN interface

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Orange Polska S.A. - Szczecin (id = 18870)
        ISP: xxx
[error] Error: [0] Cannot open socket
[error] Latency test failed
Error: near line 1: in prepare, near ",": syntax error (1)

Speedtest results -  -

Connection quality -  -

Retrieving data for WebUI charts

hey @Jack Yaz how difficult is it to add a column to the data logged of what my WAN IP is? My ISP doesn't believe me that depending on which IP range they rotate me to, the ping and jitter numbers change noticeably

wouldn't be too difficult to add it to the raw csv. having it display in the various UIs, more so
That's what I'm looking for- don't need the UI integration. Is it something you can walk me through, or is it something you'd have to do?

I am curious about this as well.
I would say the main difference is that speedtest-cli is written by an independant person(s) and written in Perl. The Ookla version (which is called speedtest cli…) is authored by the team at Ookla/Speedtest.net and is a native Linux application.
They both seem to use the same algorithms for finding nearest servers and as a result use the same speedtest servers.
Speedtest-cli, being written in Perl, in theory would run a bit slower than a native application.
From my limited experience, on relactively slow to medium feeds, the difference in speed measurements is not very different. I would think in faster links (1Gb and greater) the Ookla version would “run” better/more efficient.

BTW, here is what the developer of speedtest-cli says about the difference:

There is the potential for this tool to report results inconsistent with Speedtest.net. There are several concepts to be aware of that factor into the potential inconsistency:

1. Speedtest.net has migrated to using pure socket tests instead of HTTP based tests
  2. This application is written in Python
  3. Different versions of Python will execute certain parts of the code faster than others
  4. CPU and Memory capacity and speed will play a large part in inconsistency between Speedtest.net and even other machines on the same network

does the command line speedtest already output your IP? like the actual speedtest utility?
I've not checked...I'll look into it after the weekend

Hey, would it be possible to not execute the auto speedtest when a certain bandwidth is currently in use?
When downloading something huge and hitting my every-30-minutes AutoBW speedtest, the speedtest result, which is obviously much lower, skews my average bandwidth massively.

Something like: Don't auto-speedtest when current DL throughput > X%, UL throughput > X%

That'd be a great feature addition IMHO.

Other than that: Thank your for this awesome tool. Vodafone in my country has such a wonky service right now, that spdMerlin massively helps me with my QoS.

Edit: Or maybe even looking at certain QoS/FlexQoS classes for their current throughput?
Edit 2: Also a hybrid AutoBW would be awesome; so still calculate the available bandwidth, but allow me to act on it when I want to by pressing a button. (Not all apps react well to the WAN restart, especially streaming)
Edit 3: Sorry for all the edits. I think just having an "apply AutoBW now" button would be great. That way one could speedtest manually apart from the scheduled speedtests and apply the configured averages when needed, in addition to the other ideas.

Last edited:
I am trying to set a preffered server to be used for speedtest. Previously I was successful to do it in amtm but now once I go to setiings - I am getting an endless "segmentation fault":

Code:
Choose an interface to configure server preference for:

1.    All (on/off only)
2.    WAN
      Preferred: Off - Server: None configured
3.    VPNC1
      Preferred: Off - Server: None configured

Choose an option:  2

What would you like to do?

1.    Toggle preferred server on/off - currently: Off
2.    Set preferred server - currently: None configured

Choose an option:  2

Generating list of closest servers for WAN...

Segmentation fault
[: bad number
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
1)  |
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
2)  |
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
3)  |
Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault
4)  |
Any idea what is wrong?

I've tried to uninstall and reinstall addon - it doesn't help.

Is SPDMerlin still working for people who updated to 388.1 Beta1?
Since i updated to that build SPDMerlin sint working anymore for me.
Re-did my USB and created/installed everything fresh but no go.

Edit: come to think of it, i did enable the entire AI Protection stack and traffic analyzer statics page.
Maybe its one of those things causing the problem?

Is SPDMerlin still working for people who updated to 388.1 Beta1?
Since i updated to that build SPDMerlin sint working anymore for me.
Re-did my USB and created/installed everything fresh but no go.

Edit: come to think of it, i did enable the entire AI Protection stack and traffic analyzer statics page.
Maybe its one of those things causing the problem?
Working for me with AiProtection enabled.

I upgraded my AX58U to 388.1 beta 1. spdmerlin is working but the charts and the table are not updated.

I upgraded my AX58U to 388.1 beta 1. spdmerlin is working but the charts and the table are not updated.
AX86u unit here and mine is fine. Perhaps reinstall/force update spdmerlin?

AX86u unit here and mine is fine. Perhaps reinstall/force update spdmerlin?
On seeing this conversation, I checked mine. Also no charts/tables as per @clweb's experience. Force update didn't change anything. So I did a full uninstall (including deleting settings, etc.). Ran a speed test in a command window, then opened the UI, to find nothing reflected there. A speedtest from the UI also didn't result in anything showing in the charts or tables.