What's new

Speed upgrades not taking effect

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahmadtawakol

New Around Here
Recently Bell Aliant updated their FiberOp speeds here in Halifax. My previous speed was 175 Mbps and the speed went up to 200 Mbps. When I ran a speed test after the upgrade was supposed to happen, it still showed the old speed of 175. I restarted, released the IP and renewed the lease, I even called Bell to verify that the speed actually changed, and they said they would send me a technician.

The technician knew I was running my Asus router and not Bell's ActionTec router, so he called me and told me to try connecting the ActionTec and see what happens. I connected the ActionTec and ran a speed test again and it showed the new speed and I was happy. I thought it just needed to refresh the connection or something. So I reconnected my Asus again, ran a speed test, and it showed the old speed yet again!

It's been more than a month now since the speed was upgraded, and my speed still shows 175 instead of 200. So is there something that I'm not doing right, or is there a problem with the router?

I'm running the Asus RT-AC87U with the lastest Merlin firmware.

Hi,
Is the Action Tec router in bridge mode?

No, the ActionTec router isn't even connected or plugged in at all. I only connected it to see if the problem was caused from my set up or if it was from Bell Aliant's side.

So this is direct connect (no modem)? If so, try leaving the router turned off (or disconnect the router) for about 15 minutes. It sometimes is necessary with modems for the ISP to detect the change, maybe it's the same for fiber.

So this is direct connect (no modem)? If so, try leaving the router turned off (or disconnect the router) for about 15 minutes. It sometimes is necessary with modems for the ISP to detect the change, maybe it's the same for fiber.
Bell Aliant renews their lease every 20 minutes, so I should disconnect it for 20 minutes. But I already tried that.

Bell Aliant renews their lease every 20 minutes, so I should disconnect it for 20 minutes. But I already tried that.

Actually, if that's true, I might try going for 2 cycles and leave it disconnected for 40+ min.

Do you have QOS turned on under Traffic Management? If so, are the numbers still showing your old speed?

I would update or turn QOS off completely. I had it turned on my N66R and it caused my 50Mbps to show like half. I have it completely turned off and get my full advertised speeds.

Do you have QOS turned on under Traffic Management? If so, are the numbers still showing your old speed?

I would update or turn QOS off completely. I had it turned on my N66R and it caused my 50Mbps to show like half. I have it completely turned off and get my full advertised speeds.
Genius. That was it. Thank you!