What's new

Splice a ac68u power adaptor tip onto n66u power supply

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apollo18

Occasional Visitor
hello guys i have a rt-ac68u and during moving and everything i seem to have lost the power adaptor for it. the ac68u needs a 19v power supply and i found a 12v power supply that fits the ac68u however it obviously does not power it up. i have a n66u 19v power supply laying around so i was wondering if i can just cut the tip with some wire off of the 12v plug and splice it to the n66u 19v power supply? would that work or are the wires too thin etc

or any other tips ?
i really dont want to spend $30 on a new power supply

thanks

As per Asus specs:
RT-N66U - 19V 1.58A
RT-AC68U - 19V 1.75A
Check the markings on the one you have. If it matches the specs above, it is going to work.
RT-AC68U uses ~10W in normal operation. Don't use USB powered hard drives with the router.

As per Asus specs:
RT-N66U - 19V 1.58A
RT-AC68U - 19V 1.75A
Check the markings on the one you have. If it matches the specs above, it is going to work.
RT-AC68U uses ~10W in normal operation. Don't use USB powered hard drives with the router.

yeah i have the n66u one, i assume it will work it has barely less amperage compared to the proper ac68u one, but are these thin wires even spliceable? or i have to open the power adaptor and solder in there?

or i have to open the power adaptor and solder in there?

This would be better, but more difficult to do. Power blocks are glued. :oops:
I would just cut the wire, connect the jack twisting the wires tightly. Isolate with electrical tape. Make it look nice. :)

Oops! :oops:

any electricians here? i cut the wires and it wasnt as easy as i hoped. i cut the 12v tip that fits my asus router and the wires werent colored so i cracked open the old power adaptor and found which is + - by tracking it towards the circuit board in the power adaptor.
however when i cut the 19v asus power adaptor it has a shield wire on the outside and then a wire in the middle. i assume the shield is negative and the wire in middle is positive? i dont know thats why i wanted to ask. i cant crack open the 19v power adaptor and trace backwards because i dont want to break anything when i crack it open.

heres a link with pics

https://imgur.com/a/5FHtbyS

thanks!

@apollo18 this isn't like the movies where they close their eyes and cut randomly and disarm the bomb. :)

I suggest to put these away and order a proper adaptor unless you want to be searching for the best deal on a router too soon. :)

At the very least, don't cut the wires at the same point. Stagger them so that they are physically unable to short and do the opposite for the wires on the other side. :)

Yes, only two wires, but with someone that doesn't know what they're doing, a 50% chance to hurt something. :)

ALIVE!! ahah thanks for the help everyone! it worked! shield was negative like i thought and how k-2so confirmed!

and yeah thats a genius idea l&ld, i guess time to redo the wiring and do the stagger, its wierd to see how many things can be so simple but so easily overlooked. i temporarily just did finger twist with electrical tape but will do the stagger soon!!

but yeah i guess ill test the router on this power adaptor and see how it ruins
lets home the difference in amps is okay
1.75a-1.58a = 0.17a less compared to the original adaptor

. i temporarily just did finger twist with electrical tape but will do the stagger soon!!
You could of course just do it properly :)

Personally, I use solder to make all the connections, heat shrink tubing to cover that, then a larger diameter heat shrink tubing to cover everything. (I hate the crimp options - particularly for this sort of thing)

Staggering the connections by a quarter or half inch does help keep the whole thing neat and tidy though. An alternative that I also use, more so on temporary connections, is to butt the unstripped portions of the wires together (still in line) and fold one of the connections "up" the wire, and the other "down" the wire (hard to explain without a picture) but this too makes it easy to slip a piece of heat shrink over it or wrap with electrical tape.

https://www.instructables.com/id/Splice-Cable-Like-A-Rocket-Scientist/

Another option would of course be to solder a new tip onto the wires :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!