What's new

SP's DHCP did not function properly, help please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netbug

Regular Contributor
Hi,

Hoping someone can workout my problem. I did a full reset of my rt-ac68u back over a week ago as i had updated firmware multiple times previously without a reset so it was needed as kept loosing WAN connection as stated by my logs. Did a full reset (factory default) via web gui, turning off router then holding down wps button whilst turning on and cleared nvram via telnet.

although it happens less frequently since a full reset i keep getting the below in my log. It seems from my understanding that i loose WAN connection as when connection is restored i also get a new ip address.

Things i've tried:
* WAN > Internet Connection > under 'Special Requirement from ISP' > MAC Address i pressed MAC clone and saved to see if that would make a difference and it didn't so removed the MAC address from the input box and saved. Never had to mess with this setting before but thought i would try it but with no difference.

* WAN > Internet Connection also changed 'DHCP query frequency' from 'aggressive' to 'normal' and did not make any difference. Never had to mess with this setting before but thought i would try it but with no difference.

* Tools > Other Settings > Wan: Use DNS probes to determine if WAN is up (default: Yes) ? i changed to no and again made no difference. Never had to mess with this setting before but thought i would try it but with no difference.

The problem started happening from firmware 380.68_2 and when i upgraded to 380.68_4 it got worse, WAN connection going down frequently and that's when i did a full reset as described above and maually configured. It's happening less often now but still happening, running latest asuswrt-merlin firmware (380.68_4) and running Ab-Solution, DNSCrypt and Skynet Firewall.

The parts in log i'm referring to is:
Code:
Oct 25 00:22:12 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link up.
Oct 25 00:22:19 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Oct 25 00:22:24 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
Full Log when problem happens.
Code:
Oct 25 00:22:12 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Oct 25 00:22:12 rc_service: wanduck 475:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Oct 25 00:22:12 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Oct 25 00:22:12 kernel: device eth0 left promiscuous mode
Oct 25 00:22:12 kernel: br0: port 1(vlan1) entering forwarding state
Oct 25 00:22:12 kernel: device eth0 entered promiscuous mode
Oct 25 00:22:12 kernel: br0: topology change detected, propagating
Oct 25 00:22:19 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Oct 25 00:22:21 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/wan-start (args: 0)
Oct 25 00:22:21 rc_service: udhcpc 5479:notify_rc start_firewall
Oct 25 00:22:22 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Oct 25 00:22:22 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Oct 25 00:22:22 Mathew: AB-Solution created br0:pixelserv 192.168.42.2 via /jffs/scripts/wan-start
Oct 25 00:22:23 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)
Oct 25 00:22:23 rc_service: udhcpc 5479:notify_rc stop_upnp
Oct 25 00:22:23 rc_service: udhcpc 5479:notify_rc start_upnp
Oct 25 00:22:23 rc_service: waitting "stop_upnp" via udhcpc ...
Oct 25 00:22:24 WAN_Connection: WAN was restored.
Oct 25 00:22:25 ddns_update: ez-ipupdate: starting...
Oct 25 00:22:26 Skynet: [INFO] Startup Initiated... ( banmalware autoupdate usb=/tmp/mnt/NetworkUSB )
Oct 25 00:22:30 ddns_update: connected to dynupdate.no-ip.com (8.23.224.120) on port 80.
Oct 25 00:22:30 Mathew: OpenDNS: Update IP succeeded
Oct 25 00:22:31 ddns_update: request successful
Oct 25 00:22:31 ddns_update: asusddns_update: 0
Oct 25 00:22:31 ddns: ddns update ok
Oct 25 00:22:36 rc_service: udhcpc 5479:notify_rc start_firewall
Oct 25 00:22:36 dhcp_client: bound 88.109.44.45 via 88.109.32.1 during 900 seconds.
Oct 25 00:22:37 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Oct 25 00:22:37 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/nat-start
Oct 25 00:22:37 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/firewall-start (args: eth0)
Oct 25 00:22:38 Skynet: [INFO] Lock File Detected (start banmalware autoupdate usb=/tmp/mnt/NetworkUSB) (pid=5536) - Exiting

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
That error message is not quite what it seems, it just means something wrong with the WAN connection. You have a very short WAN dhcp lease - I guess you have a PPPoA ADSL connection and an adsl router pretending to be a half-bridge modem? I recommend you look at modem stats/logs first.

That error message is not quite what it seems, it just means something wrong with the WAN connection. You have a very short WAN dhcp lease - I guess you have a PPPoA ADSL connection and an adsl router pretending to be a half-bridge modem? I recommend you look at modem stats/logs first.

Hi,

I have fibre (FTTC) My RT-AC68U is connected to a Draytek Vigor 130 modem (acting in bridge mode). I setup the modem using the settings for my ISP from the Draytek website and have had no issues previously. I can't find any log in draytek vigor 130 modem but in the draytek console if i type 'vdsl status' it shows line stats etc and xdsl reset times: 0.

Settings for my modem: (maybe the DHCP server configuration lease time needs increasing?)

Thanks

Last edited:

The issue is with your modem or the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router.

Hi,

I have fibre (FTTC) My RT-AC68U is connected to a Draytek Vigor 130 modem (acting in bridge mode). I setup the modem using the settings for my ISP from the Draytek website and have had no issues previously. I can't find any log in draytek vigor 130 modem but in the draytek console if i type 'vdsl status' it shows line stats etc and xdsl reset times: 0.

Settings for my modem: (maybe the DHCP server configuration lease time needs increasing?)

Thanks
Not sure this will cause the issue you're seeing, but if the modem is to be a bridge, DHCP should be on the Asus and not the Draytek?

The issue is with your modem or the Ethernet cable between the modem and the router.

Don't think it's cable but will try a different one, modem seems to be working fine no resets, reboots etc. Will test.

Not sure this will cause the issue you're seeing, but if the modem is to be a bridge, DHCP should be on the Asus and not the Draytek?

I thought that aswell but it happens whether setting is enabled or disabled as i tried.

Cheers.

Not got a spare cable so waiting one to come in post. Disabled DHCP again on modem as i do find it odd why it enabled in bridge mode but it was enabled before without any issue.

It's been just over 24 hours and nothing showing in logs so all good at the moment.

I have seen another senior member on here uses a Draytek Vigor 130 modem (seens in their sig) with asus router. I will tag him and see if he could share his modem settings out of curiosity @Vexira

Cheers.

Well still waiting for cable and issue not happened since so will just continue to monitor router lot in meantime. thanks for the help.

I'm getting this same issue with my RT-AC68U w/ 380.68_4 on Spectrum Cable Modem. Works great when it works, when it doesn't I see the dreaded DHCP message. Modem appears to be on-line and connected. Cable company was here yesterday, checked everything, replaced modem "just to be sure" yet still having same issue. Cable company coming back again tomorrow and I'm pretty sure they're going to blame my router.

I'm getting this same issue with my RT-AC68U w/ 380.68_4 on Spectrum Cable Modem.

Unless you also get a message about your Ethernet link going down/up, like the OP, then your issue is different.

His log clearly shows that the Ethernet connection between the modem and the router is dropping.

I'm getting this same issue with my RT-AC68U w/ 380.68_4 on Spectrum Cable Modem. Works great when it works, when it doesn't I see the dreaded DHCP message. Modem appears to be on-line and connected. Cable company was here yesterday, checked everything, replaced modem "just to be sure" yet still having same issue. Cable company coming back again tomorrow and I'm pretty sure they're going to blame my router.

I never had the problem until i think it was 380.68_2 but that may have been another issue hence my reason doing a full reset, 380.68_4 was when it was happening frequently but suddenly no problems since but have a cable tester so going to check it tomorrow but will replace it anyway when i get new one delivered.

What does your log show?

Last edited:
Got frustrated with my RT-AC68U not getting an IP so I fired up an old Apple Airport Extreme. and it's working and got me back on-line.

It's interesting, because when I get disconnected I can see the lights on my modem go offline... so I know there's something up with the modem. But when the modem comes back (the lights are all lit), the Asus wouldn't get an IP and the Apple router did so I'm not sure what that means?

Spectrum is on their way over again rn...

Spectrum gave me a third modem, and tested my outlets. Determined my power strip a had a loose open ground, which shouldn't make a difference, but who knows I swapped that out too... so far back up and running on the Asus.

Just to confirm it's been a week since replacing ethernet cable and all has been ok, annoying thing was i bought a new ethernet cable in september to replace the one between the modem and router as the other one was looking worse for wear and thought i had replaced it, after waiting days for new cable to come i then notices the new one i already had. Cheers.

Just to confirm it's been a week since replacing ethernet cable and all has been ok, annoying thing was i bought a new ethernet cable in september to replace the one between the modem and router as the other one was looking worse for wear and thought i had replaced it, after waiting days for new cable to come i then notices the new one i already had. Cheers.

Never figured out what my exact issues was... replaced cable modem (three times), power strip, and went back to stock firmware. Whatever it was, it went away.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!