What's new

SSH (dropbear) sessions keep dropping [solved]

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lhoekenga

Occasional Visitor
I've got an RT-AC88U recently upgraded to 386.2.4. My SSH sessions to the router drop after a few minutes..
Code:
Timeout, server 192.168.1.1 not responding.

I noticed this when pursuing some other issues. Prior to 386.2.4, I was running 386.1.2, and had similar problems.
Syslog says the session ended normally..
Code:
May 21 09:10:54 dropbear[9343]: Exit (router) from <192.168.1.72:58351>: Exited normally

Any ideas?
thanks!
Liam

I used to see odd ssh behavior when I had AiProtection enabled. I couldn’t prove it, but the issue stopped after I disabled it.

I did a factory reset and reinstalled the stock firmware (3.0.0.4_386_43129-g60defb2) and the SSH issue seemed to go away.
I did another factory reset and installed 386.2_6 (without restoring any preexisting configuration), and the issue came back.

SSH drops the connection pretty quickly (less than a minute), with this error message..
Code:
Timeout, server 192.168.1.1 not responding.

I had to install screen from entware just to be able to interact with amtm.

I have not tried downgrading to 384.

Liam

Are you first flashing the firmware you want to use, then doing a full reset to factory defaults?

What you've written above suggests you're doing things in the wrong order.

Are you first flashing the firmware you want to use, then doing a full reset to factory defaults?
Yes. I apologize if was unclear. I am first flashing the firmware and then doing a factory reset.

Last edited:
I'm trying a different router. I'm seeing the same issue on a RT-AX88U running Merlin 386.2_6 - SSH to the router drops connection within a minute.
I upgraded to Merlin, did a factory reset and then reconfigured everything.
I didn't see the issue on stock (3.0.0.4.386.42820).

I've tried disabling SSH timeouts in the web GUI, but it hasn't helped. I am concerned that if it's dropping SSH connections, that it might be killing other connections.

Liam

As you are getting the same result on two different routers, could the issue be with your SSH client? I am running 386.2_6 on an RT-AX88U & RT-AX58U, connected from Windows 10 desktop, via PowerShell tabs in Terminal, sessions never drop unless I close them myself.

I'm using the command line ssh client from MacOS, which I use all day for work. I'll see if I get different results from my windows box. Thanks for the suggestion!

@archiel looks like it is the ssh client on MacOS Big Sur. I've tried PuTTY on my windows box and it's appears to be working w/o dropping. Thank you for the suggestion.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!