What's new

Stability of Asuswrt-Merlin vs Stock Firmware

MarkyPancake

Never had GUI issues spanning many versions of Merlin with a N66U to an AC68U and now an AC86U that I've had since 2017, nor using different browsers.

pdc

Occasional Visitor
I've been running a pair of AC-86U (AiMesh) with Diversion and FlexQOS and everything has been working smoothly. At one point in the earlier days, things were going south, but a full reset and L&LD Minimal config got things back on track. The past several Merlin releases have been very stable for me.

royarcher

Very Senior Member
That was weird. For the first time ever. today the GUI failed to render the menu items on the left side of my Asus router. I tried logging out and then logging in, no go. I tried a different browser, same thing. I finally rebooted and everything (I've noticed so far) is back to normal. If it happens again I will post a picture/screen shot.
That happens to me from time to time but all I have to do to fix it is open another Google page and it works every time

zz63

New Around Here
Personally I haven't had any stability issue with either firmware across 3 or 4 different routers. I see a lot of people having GUI issues but often it is when running "extra" things like usb devices, scripts, etc. (Usually a configuration issue). From a plain basic router functionality, both are equal IMO, but Merlin offers many more options.

(I also schedule mine to reboot nightly to ensure a "clean" operating environment)

It has happened to me 2 times in two weeks with rt-ac2900 (rt-ac86U).

I see that for years it has happened to more people but there is no solution, just restart the httpd service.

It seems to be the case with merlin firmware but not with stock firmware.

What firmware do you have?

I have the router in AP mode and connected a 4TB Toshiba 3.0 hard drive.

I don't run any script.

Yo_2T

Occasional Visitor
Oddly enough I only had it happen twice after I turned on the Statistic page under Traffic Analyzer. Turned that off and it's been smooth sailing since May.

zz63

New Around Here
Oddly enough I only had it happen twice after I turned on the Statistic page under Traffic Analyzer. Turned that off and it's been smooth sailing since May.
Could you tell me where is the Statistic page under Traffic Analyzer?

eddd

New Around Here
I have an AC86U and I have been experiencing the same issues people have been describing in this thread. The past few months have been awful for router stability. I've recently done a complete refresh and a few weeks alter the issues have returned. I just tried to reboot and it failed. I never had problems like this with my n66u. IDK if it's bad hardware or what but I definitely want to try a different router at this point.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!