What's new

Sticky Thread Suggestion

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TonyK132

It might be helpful to those of us who do not do this daily to have a Sticky Thread item for every AddOn script that is widely used that explains how to install the AddOn, the installation options, and anything else the script authors feel is important. Often the initial thread of the AddOn has this info but finding that thread in this forum can be tedious. Making it Sticky would help with future initial installations and also as a reference if you want to make a config change a year or 2 later. It might also help users to locate log files, config files, and script files since every script author has their own ideas of where this info is stored.

Like a mega thread?

There are nearly 26 Addon tags in this forum. 26 stickies isn’t the answer.

Been asked before this past March...

I assume its up to those who manage the subforum to sticky a thread post that has all of the various add-ons with explanations for them. And someone would have to maintain/update that post as well.

Like a mega thread?

There are nearly 26 Addon tags in this forum. 26 stickies isn’t the answer.
Then maybe 1 sticky with links to the original AddOn posts or possibly the post that declares the latest version. 26 links would not be too bad to create. For maintenance I would suggest the script author would update the link for their script that could point to a snbforums link or maybe a github link, whatever the script creator feels is best. But I see that I am not the 1st person to make this suggestion. If it is too crazy an idea, then it could always be filed in the circular file.

There are currently no plan to add any other sticky posts to this sub-forum. Other addon devs expressed a dislike of sticky posts, and I personally tend to agree - the more sticky you have, the less likely it is that anyone will actually bother reading them. How many times do we get questions asked on the Asuswrt-Merlin subforum that are answered in one of the sticky posts there.

I actually had to push a bit harder to convince some of the addon devs to let me put at least the donation sticky (because this is something that isn't documented anywhere else).

The best reference right now for people looking for a list of links is the official Asuswrt-Merlin documentation: its Wiki. @thelonelycoder usually keeps that page up-to-date.

As for people looking for more info beyond just a main release thread, using the forum filters is the way to go, as threads are tagged by their script.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!