What's new

stock linksys EA9500 how to create subnet to another (VPN) router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

merl

Occasional Visitor
Hi

Disclaimer: inexperienced with networks. I am posting here since although there is no wifi involved in the topic the question may be specific to features of linksys wifi routers.

I'm trying to set up a VPN router (plan: using wireguard on Openwrt). But before I can get into the VPN stuff I am already failing at step 0: setting up a subnet. I connect the "VPN router" to the primary router (a stock linksys EA9500) via the WAN port of the VPN router. Naively I expected the VPN router to be on a subnet (198.162.2.x), but it is not. I can't statically assign it an address outside 198.162.1.x.

I expect there is a simple way to do this but I don't have much clue.

Thanks for any tips or pointers!

Hi

Disclaimer: inexperienced with networks. I am posting here since although there is no wifi involved in the topic the question may be specific to features of linksys wifi routers.

I'm trying to set up a VPN router (plan: using wireguard on Openwrt). But before I can get into the VPN stuff I am already failing at step 0: setting up a subnet. I connect the "VPN router" to the primary router (a stock linksys EA9500) via the WAN port of the VPN router. Naively I expected the VPN router to be on a subnet (198.162.2.x), but it is not. I can't statically assign it an address outside 198.162.1.x.

I expect there is a simple way to do this but I don't have much clue.

Thanks for any tips or pointers!
What's the make/model of your VPN router? Really bizarre you cannot change its default gateway IP from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x. However you can easily do this on the EA9500 (i also have this), so might be worth changing the default gateway IP of the EA9500 to 192.168.2.x (from 192.168.1.1) and leaving the VPN router at 192.168.1.x.