What's new

Solved strange behaviour of hostname in syslog logging

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lightaffaire

Occasional Visitor
Running merlin 386.4 on an AX11000 with remote syslog to our central syslog server.

The logged entries arrive but with an hostname "firewall-E2979BA-C" that does not match the LAN hostname I setup. ie,

Feb 19 11:44:24 firewall-E2979BA-C hostapd: eth7: STA 54:8d:5a:7b:64:20 IEEE 802.11: associated
Feb 19 11:44:24 firewall-E2979BA-C kernel: CFG80211-ERROR) wl_cfg80211_change_station : WLC_SCB_AUTHORIZE sta_flags_mask not set
Feb 19 11:44:24 firewall-E2979BA-C hostapd: eth7: STA 54:8d:5a:7b:64:20 RADIUS: starting accounting session A660597A2FCD2232

In the LAN setup mask i set the hostname to just "firewall".

If I had not explicitly changed the LAN hostname I would understand but I changed it so would expect only "firewall" that to be syslogged.

Can that be fixed in an upcoming merlin release?

Iain

I can understand the concept of "{hostname}-meshID" being used internally but if I set an explicit hostname and log it remotely I would expect the LAN hostname to be logged.

Also running the command "$ hostname" when logged into the AX11000 via ssh returns the LAN hostname.

remote syslogging should log with the LAN hostname.

remote syslogging should log with the LAN hostname.
It does according to the quoted code:

Code:
snprintf(syslog_hostname, sizeof(syslog_hostname), "%s-%s-%s",
                 get_lan_hostname(), gid, node_str());

However nodes don't have a configurable hostname, so chances are the log comes from one of the nodes, not from the main (named) router.

I noted this behavior when it first appeared here cfg_group appended to hostname

Just use a script in services-start to kill syslogd and restart it with the host name you want.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

F_log() { printf '%s' "$1" | logger -t "syslogcheck[$$]" ; printf '%s\n' "$1" ;}

cfg_id=$(nvram get cfg_group | cut -c -7)
lan_name=$(nvram get lan_hostname)
current_syslogd=$(/bin/pidof syslogd)
remote_ip=$(nvram get log_ipaddr)

F_syslog_restart() {
        F_log "Stopping $current_syslogd syslogd service to restart for new hostname"
        /bin/kill "$current_syslogd"
        /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 8 -R ${remote_ip}:514 -L -H $lan_name
        sleep 2
        F_log "syslogd successfully restarted for new hostname - $lan_name"
}

if ps -w | grep "${lan_name}-${cfg_id}" | grep -v 'grep' ; then
        F_log "syslogd using incorrect hostname, restarting..."
        F_syslog_restart
else
        F_log "syslogd using correct hostname, ignoring."
fi

Last edited:
I noted this behavior when it first appeared here cfg_group appended to hostname

Just use a script in services-start to kill syslogd and restart it with the host name you want.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

F_log() { printf '%s' "$1" | logger -t "syslogcheck[$$]" ; printf '%s\n' "$1" ;}

cfg_id=$(nvram get cfg_group | cut -c -7)
lan_name=$(nvram get lan_hostname)
current_syslogd=$(/bin/pidof syslogd)
remote_ip=$(nvram get log_ipaddr)

F_syslog_restart() {
        F_Log "Stopping $current_syslogd syslogd service to restart for new hostname"
        /bin/kill "$current_syslogd"
        /sbin/syslogd -m 0 -S -O /tmp/syslog.log -s 256 -l 8 -R ${remote_ip}:514 -L -H $lan_name
        sleep 2
        F_log "syslogd successfully restarted for new hostname - $lan_name"
}

if ps | grep "${lan_name}-${cfg_id}" | grep -v 'grep' ; then
        F_log "syslogd using incorrect hostname, restarting..."
        F_syslog_restart
else
        F_log "syslogd using correct hostname, ignoring."
fi

Thanks for the answer and script. That is a hack but a useful one.

You mention services-start... do you mean simply put the script into /tmp/etc/init.d and symlink from /tmp/etc/rc3.d/ ?

Is there a thread or reference document(s) concerning the boot and service/scripts startup sequence ?

Iain

@L&LD thank you. so i copied the script to /jffs/scripts and ran it per hand to check it worked. Where exactly are the scripts activated in the GUI as I clicked everywhere on 386.4 and did not see a toggle or referernce to jffs ?

@Maverickcdn the script did the trick but contained a minor buglet:

Old: F_Log "Stopping $current_syslogd syslogd service to restart for new hostname"

Fix: F_log "Stopping $current_syslogd syslogd service to restart for new hostname"

@L&LD thank you. so i copied the script to /jffs/scripts and ran it per hand to check it worked. Where exactly are the scripts activated in the GUI as I clicked everywhere on 386.4 and did not see a toggle or referernce to jffs ?

@Maverickcdn the script did the trick but contained a minor buglet:

Old: F_Log "Stopping $current_syslogd syslogd service to restart for new hostname"

Fix: F_log "Stopping $current_syslogd syslogd service to restart for new hostname"
Administration => System => Persistent JFFS2 partition

@octopus ahh it just enables the whole scripts dir. I was expecting a yes/no per script. Thank you.

Yes, custom scripts and configs (multiple, all/none).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!