What's new

Solved Strange IP address in wireless log ...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GSpock

Hi,
just have a look here, this is a W10 PC connected to my 2.4GHz network on my AX86U (386.1_2):
1616326133649.png

and then here :
1616325729258.png

and finally:
1616325746114.png

Any idea why this PC is not recognised with its legitime 192.168.1.73 lan IP ?

Thx,
GS
(PS: this only happens with this specific PC ! which has nothing special compared to others ... I think :oops:)

(sorry, posted in wrong forum, looking to move it to Asus-Merlin ....)

Last edited:
That would be an autoconfig IP that a client would get if it failed to obtain a DHCP lease. Maybe that client got connected somehow before obtaining a DHCP lease, so the router has its MAC or hostname associated with that autoconfig IP.

Is this persistent? IOW, does it survive a reboot?
If you disconnect/reconnect the client I would expect it to get refreshed, as long your client does get a proper IPv4 (don't rely on DNS queries for that, check on the client itself)

If you disconnect/reconnect the client I would expect it to get refreshed, as long your client does get a proper IPv4 (don't rely on DNS queries for that, check on the client itself)

Thanks. In fact no, even after disconnect/reconnect, this PC is systematically reported in the WL log screen with this 169 IP address, while on the PC I have this:

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2021-03-22 085703.png
    Capture d’écran 2021-03-22 085703.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 120
Assign a static address on its LAN adapter, run it for an hour or so and then go back to dhcp.

Thanks for the suggestion ; that did not make it.

For some reason a dhcp request is not send or the reply is not received, local firewall (windows) issue? when you reboot the pc no message about duplicate mac address?

For some reason a dhcp request is not send or the reply is not received, local firewall (windows) issue? when you reboot the pc no message about duplicate mac address?

No, I have just rebooted again one more time, no error on mac address, still being reported wrongly and still showing the correct 192. address in W10 ... :oops:
PS: this only happens when connected to wireless, if I go via wire, PC is correctly recognised and reported in the router ...

PS: this only happens when connected to wireless, if I go via wire, PC is correctly recognised and reported in the router ...
Are you disconnecting or disabling the wired interface when you connect via wireless? Windows generally isn't smart enough to manage both and it results in duplicate host names.

Are you disconnecting or disabling the wired interface when you connect via wireless? Windows generally isn't smart enough to manage both and it results in duplicate host names.
Disconnecting, but I just wired it this afternoon to make a test, otherwise it is always connected via Wifi. There is no duplicate host name since WL card and NIC card have different mac address. It seems that arp table on the router has a 169 address , but I cannot manually delete it:

arp -d 169.254.130.11
arp: SIOCDARP(priv): Network is unreachable

There is no duplicate host name since WL card and NIC card have different mac address
host name and mac are two different things.....do you have dhcp logging turned on? The router will tell you if it sees a duplicate host name.

host name and mac are two different things.....do you have dhcp logging turned on? The router will tell you if it sees a duplicate host name.
Yes, DHCP logging on and no, no error messages with duplicate name ; May I ask why you are focusing on duplicate hostname ? As I see it, the issue could also be at router side since the PC itself has a correct LAN IP (as shown above), works OK with LAN and WAN, only its IP address is incorrectly reported in the WL Log on the router ... but it is true this only happens with this specific PC ...

A router reboot solved the issue ... :rolleyes:

1616507905698.png

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!