What's new

Strange Issue in Whole House Ethernet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hussain

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have three story 8500 square feet house which is wired via ethernet cat 6 cable.

As the only internet available is 4g so my setup is 4g usb dongle-> TPlink MR3420 -> Dlink DGS-1008A GIGABIT-> Linksys EA3500 and E3200 Routers being used as access points.

Now if I connect my NAS directly to DGS-1008 switches port, I get flawless bluray streaming however if i connect via any of the linksys routers ethernet ports, I cannot stream even 1080p compressed stuff. The best i can do is stream 720p videos.

What is wrong, thanks in advance for your help.

your linksys routers could be using 10 or 100Mb/s ports.

You connected your NAS/network on the linksys WAN ports and set bridging mode. This uses CPU.

your linksys switch chips are limited by backpane capacity (a lot of routers pack crappy switch chips that cannot handle capacity of all ports).

Even so 1080P streaming doesnt require a gigabit network necause the stream itself doesnt use much ( I have streamed blu ray through wireless N using VLC player and it is smooth).

For some routers, when they offer an AP mode which auto configures the router, and allows you to use the WAN port of the router to connect to another router, you will often get reduced throughput (depending n the speed of the CPU, it can be reduced to sub 100mbit speeds which can be maid worst if the wifi radio on your router, also eats up a good amount of CPU time).

One of the simplest ways to use multiple routers as AP's and avoid issues with the AP mode, is so simply change the local IP of each additional router, e.g., on my network I keep the range of 192.168.1.10 to 192.168.1.20 clear, so that I can set additional routers to use that range.

I then disable their built in DHCP server, and do a LAN to LAN connection between the routers.

(this solved the speed issues between my NAS and my netgrar R7000)

I have setup my network exactly as described by Razor 512 above. I have further checked my lan cables and they are no errors with them. both linksys are top of the line gigabit routers and provide me with gigabit speed without any issue.

Last edited:
The problem is with Ethernet connected devices, correct? As the OP indicated, 100 Mbps Ethernet is more than enough for 1080p streaming.

Run a long ping from an Ethernet client and the NAS to see if you are getting high packet loss, high ping time or both.

If you are using the built-in AP mode in the Linksys routers, try instead to manually convert them to an AP. http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...onvert-a-wireless-router-into-an-access-point

Temporarily move all the devices to one room so you take the house wiring out of the loop.

Or just leave the NAS connected to the switch.

Or just leave the NAS connected to the switch.

2nd that. If I understand correctly, no problem with dedicated switch. Problems with router switches. Solution: use dedicated switch and move on.

Also, the two routers mentioned may be gigabit, but they are dated to the time when Netflix was for early adopters and 1080P was more than most people ever considered as necessary. Video streaming and browsing have two different TCP/IP needs. Of course, it might just be that you need to turn on or off a whatsit or a thingamabob, but, if it already works one way --- what's the problem?

Last edited:
2nd that. If I understand correctly, no problem with dedicated switch. Problems with router switches. Solution: use dedicated switch and move on.

+2 - The only thing I plug into a router's LAN port(s) is a single cable going to a network switch. All devices plug into the switch(s).

Many router LAN ports have poor traffic handling capabilities and/or the router mistakenly interferes with what should be unmolested device to device LAN traffic.

Thanks guys but my issue is that I have a single cable going to my home theatre where the NAS is to be placed. And in my home theatre I have four devices that need to be on lan. My xbox, popcorn hour media player, my router and my NAS. Also please note that I am using ethernet for streaming not wireless.

The router might be little old but when used in router mode, they do provide 1 gigabit ethernet speeds. Also if I connect my nas directly to my switch there are no streaming issues however as soon as I connect it via my router, I suddenly faced the forementioned issues.

Also my setup follows the guide to use router as AP word by word. So what can be the problem here?

Last edited:
+2 - The only thing I plug into a router's LAN port(s) is a single cable going to a network switch. All devices plug into the switch(s).

Many router LAN ports have poor traffic handling capabilities and/or the router mistakenly interferes with what should be unmolested device to device LAN traffic.

Bingo. I have an issue that I am trying to track down with my router (Archer C8), where if I plug in to any of the switch ports, SMB traffic doesn't seem to be getting passed. Pings are also getting blocked. At a guess, it is applying ICMP filtering internally intead of just on the WAN port and/or possibly storm/broadcast filtering, and that is cause both to fail. Because I can detect some things on the local network and getting out to the internet being plugged in directly works fine. Move over to any other port on my network and it works great.

I've seen issue after issue with routers and their switch ports. Oh, most work perfectly, but lots and lots have odd issues with things. Which is why unless I HAVE to I only ever use the LAN ports on a router to connect the router/AP to the LAN and nothing else. You could always substitute in a small 5 port switch (or any switch) between the routers running as access points and the main network and then hang the NAS off the switch.

Not necessarily. You can play with various settings on the AP, especially firewall settings to see if that helps. If it doesn't, add an inexpensive 5 port switch between the AP and the main switch and hang the NAS and other equipment off the switch instead of the AP.

What settings should i play with, I am completely novice. It is linksys e3200 router which is the issue here

Okay I have identified the issue, the linksys router incorrectly has identified the connection coming from my switch as 10/100mbps instead of 1 gbps. What should i do now?

Try different LAN ports on the e3200 connecting back to your switch to see if that fixes it. Is you switch managed? If so, try setting that port to gigabit instead of setting it to auto-negotiate and see if that'll fix it.

One of Kind Problem, Needs one of a kind solution

Ok, i connected my access hub to another room and the lan speed were restored. Does that mean that the cable going to my home theatre is damaged in someway? but if the cable is damaged the router shouldn't work at all and the nas connected directly to the cable should not give 1gbps speed?

This is all really confusing.

No, it shouldn't work at 1000Gbps speeds directly connected to the NAS if it also isn't working with a simple switch connected, then the switch connected to the NAS, router and all other devices (you aren't putting the switch behind the router/AP are you?).

A damaged wire can still provide 100Mbps. 100Base-TX only requires 2 wire pairs, where as Cat5, 5e, 6, etc. all have 4 wire pairs. If the wire is damaged but there is continuity in some of the wires (enough) you'll get 100Mbps connection.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!