What's new

Streaming buffering problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DesertDwarf

New Around Here
I have an ASUS RT-N66U with Merlin's 380.66_2 installed. The router performs very well, I think. My only problem is an iPad 9.7 (2017 edition) that buffers when streaming video. Computers and other mobile devices seem to be fine, but my wife's iPad just doesn't want to let her watch shows.

It's a brand new iPad and we already exchanged it for another new iPad because we thought, since it was the only device that had the streaming problem, that it must have been a bad component in the iPad (antenna, wireless communications chip, etc.). But the new iPad is exhibiting the same problem.

Any suggestions on what I can try? If you need info, please holler.

I don't have any scripts or anything else added. Just Merlin's firmware. (I'm new to this firmware and am looking forward to doing more stuff, like adding the Ad Blocking and stuff like that...but I want to nail down this buffering problem first.)

Thanks in advance.

If you post a screenshot of your wifi settings (Hide your ssid and password) , basic and advanced pages, or list them out, then I and someone else should be able to give you a few pointers that can usually help.

Alternatively, following this guide is a usually a good to start and tweak from there.
https://www.rickygao.com.au/blog/tuning-the-asus-wireless-router-to-best-performance/
Just apply the settings that are available on your router. (I don't think the n66u has airtime fairness for example)

Here are four screenshots. I couldn't see a "basic" versus "advanced" wifi settings, so I gave you the 2.4GHz and 5GHz of both the Wireless -> General settings and the Wireless -> Professional settings.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

upload_2017-5-20_10-41-49.png

upload_2017-5-20_10-42-1.png

upload_2017-5-20_10-42-16.png

upload_2017-5-20_10-42-29.png

Dedicate the 5GHz radio to a new SSID and have the iPad connect to that only. Forget the original SSID on the iPad so it can't connect back to it. Likely you have too many interfering radios on the 2.4GHz.

Alternatively, following this guide is a usually a good to start and tweak from there.
https://www.rickygao.com.au/blog/tuning-the-asus-wireless-router-to-best-performance/
Oy. I have a hard time following the guide. The layout is tough. For instance:

upload_2017-5-22_10-17-5.png

Under the Asuswrt-Merlin heading, what settings do I use for "None of Above" so I can get to "Level 2"?

It's possible hardware acceleration would help me. Once, when my wife was attempting to watch a stream and was getting the buffering/disconnected problem, I decided to look at the CPU of the router and it was at about 70%, so I thought some acceleration would be a good idea.

I'm also thinking of assigning all of the "permanent" devices their own IPs. I do that with the computers already, but was thinking of doing it to mobile and streaming devices (phones, tablets, Rokus, etc.) and saving only DHCP for visitors.

Anyway, after I updated to the latest Merlin early Thursday morning, she hasn't had any more streaming issues. Strange.

Side note: She watched the same things on her Galaxy Tab 8 without trouble. Ever since she got the iPad a few weeks ago, she'd had the buffering problem. She was determined it was the network (Cox internet, modem, router, etc.). I kept pointing out she's the only one having trouble and it's only her iPad, not her phone on which she also occasionally watches stuff. I was willing to concede that iOS was doing things in such a way that I needed to tighten down some settings in the router, but going farther than that (like blaming Cox) seemed to be a stretch.