What's new

Solved AiMesh Node Settings Propagation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

donyewest

New Around Here
I swear I'm not brand new, long-time reader but first time poster, I just retired my N66U running Merlin's build because my neighbors have 160MHz spectrum hogging monsters on across 2.4g, 36 AND 149 5g which measure -62dBm in the center of my home. We have basic country cable internet fully utilized via traditional QoS to prioritize company VPN'd WFH laptops on 5GHz guest network where all other traffic is appropriately tiered, no gaming, family TV 1080p streaming, and 4x IoTs on 2.4GHz guest network. I have no issues leaving WiFi 6/6E enabled, Auto standard but 802.11ax capable.

My question is simple: Should the WIFI *professional* settings propagate to nodes?

Background, research, steps taken: I have modified beacon intervals and DTIM for video conferencing 5GHz and reduce strain on the minimalistic IoT HW, WIFI cell calls are on 5GHz too. I ssh'd into my node, tail'd the syslog to watch its boot process/wifi reset, and then checked the current phy properties: Default beacon intervals. Did a wl bi for w0 and w1 but I don't want to do that every time. I could modify the config files in /tmp/ but that's tedious too and the whole thing makes me wonder what else isn't propagating, or even ditching AiMesh but I simply do not have the time to tinker with this right now. The bss colors are all in sync so it's getting the important stuff.

I figured out that I have to keep WPS enabled because the node appeared to have difficulty grabbing configs when ethernet backhaul was enabled. I did the whole thing, it "self-healed", all that. The node broadcasts are closer to that of the primary router but I want them the same. If the stock FW does not propagate the nuanced professional settings, can anyone confirm whether the Merlin build would? (I've read the info on keeping nodes stock, primary can have Merlin.)

Welcome to the forums @donyewest.

Turn off WPS.

Leave the Backhaul to Auto.

I recommend having the same firmware installed on the main router and nodes (and ideally, the same routers throughout).

You may be dabbling in an area that has not been explored before. I do use Ethernet backhaul with WPS disabled. I leave all the AiMesh settings on auto. I do know that the WIFI channel, bandwidth and Wireless MAC Filter settings get transferred to the node(s). Professional settings are something I do not change.
I've run Merlin on both router and node, Merlin on router and Asus on node as well as Asus all around which is where I'm at now. Does not seem to matter what combo you use. However, with a new router I would not mess with WIFI settings for a while. Defaults work very well for most folks.

I appreciate the input! You both brought up points that made me review my notes about something that I noticed:

I am willing to bet that the ASUS developers intended a default operation wherein a Node_WAN<->Primary_LAN cat6 exists in which explicit ethernet backhaul is disabled while the backhaul selection is set to Auto: 2.4G WPS associates on boot -> implicit inheritance; 5G associates for backhaul evaluation -> implicit inheritance. That said, I used to crack WPS for fun nearly a decade ago to hone professional pen testing skills so it is usually the very first thing I disable but, eh, my environment is very low risk now.

I did a cursory dig into Merlin's GitHub, ax86u pro specifically, but really couldn't find where the AiMesh info lives...I'm so far removed from that level of code now, completely futile endeavor for me 😅

I appreciate the input! You both brought up points that made me review my notes about something that I noticed:

I am willing to bet that the ASUS developers intended a default operation wherein a Node_WAN<->Primary_LAN cat6 exists in which explicit ethernet backhaul is disabled while the backhaul selection is set to Auto: 2.4G WPS associates on boot -> implicit inheritance; 5G associates for backhaul evaluation -> implicit inheritance. That said, I used to crack WPS for fun nearly a decade ago to hone professional pen testing skills so it is usually the very first thing I disable but, eh, my environment is very low risk now.

I did a cursory dig into Merlin's GitHub, ax86u pro specifically, but really couldn't find where the AiMesh info lives...I'm so far removed from that level of code now, completely futile endeavor for me 😅
AiMesh code is proprietary to Asus. AFAIK Merlin adds nothing to AiMesh. As for the Ethernet backhaul, I've tried enablng the Ethernet Backhaul Mode but experienced node disconnects. Granted it was using the 2.5 GB ports. As the rest of my network is 1GB and my DSL is 100/100 I have no real need to mess with the 2.5 GB and the "family" has no complaints about bandwidth. I'm also using 20 MHz on 2.4 GHz and 80 MHz on 5 GHz. I do use DFS channels. After over two years trying to push 160 MHz I've realized a more stable WIFI with the 80 MHz.

My question is simple: Should the WIFI *professional* settings propagate to nodes?

I'd say yes, they should... I can't see why not... seems simple enough.

Background, research, steps taken: I have modified beacon intervals and DTIM for video conferencing 5GHz and reduce strain on the minimalistic IoT HW, WIFI cell calls are on 5GHz too. I ssh'd into my node, tail'd the syslog to watch its boot process/wifi reset, and then checked the current phy properties: Default beacon intervals. Did a wl bi for w0 and w1 but I don't want to do that every time. I could modify the config files in /tmp/ but that's tedious too and the whole thing makes me wonder what else isn't propagating, or even ditching AiMesh but I simply do not have the time to tinker with this right now. The bss colors are all in sync so it's getting the important stuff.

You may be dragging too much of your N66U configuration forward to your new AX equipment... is any of that really necessary now?

I figured out that I have to keep WPS enabled because the node appeared to have difficulty grabbing configs when ethernet backhaul was enabled. I did the whole thing, it "self-healed", all that. The node broadcasts are closer to that of the primary router but I want them the same.

I never leave WPS enabled and have been using AiMesh since 2018 and several router generations ago. With all backhauls enabled, there are more balls in the air for AiMesh to juggle... be sure to allow time for the system to respond and settle.... this can go sideways if the backhauls/firmware have issues. I prefer to trust my wired backhaul to not fail, so I disable the wireless backhauls to remove any potential system uncertainty/waffling... backhauls that failover isn't that important in a residential application, imo.

OE

If the stock FW does not propagate the nuanced professional settings, can anyone confirm whether the Merlin build would?

AiMesh is closed source. Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't offer any modifications to AiMesh.

Not all the settings and model specific. For a better chance you have to use all the same model routers with the same firmware.

I do use DFS channels. After over two years trying to push 160 MHz I've realized a more stable WIFI with the 80 MHz.
I can use DFS in my neck of the woods but only a few of my devices can but permissible power simply favors 80MHz deployments and I'm ok with that because my internet is only 25Mb/4Mb.
AiMesh code is proprietary to Asus. AFAIK Merlin adds nothing to AiMesh.
AiMesh is closed source. Asuswrt-Merlin doesn't offer any modifications to AiMesh.
Excellent, I did not know that, appreciate this info.
Not all the settings and model specific. For a better chance you have to use all the same model routers with the same firmware.
I have noticed that there is an Archer "not supported" error message immediately following Fast ACK during boot. Ah, it is a little frustrating because it is sold as "scalable", like ya buy the Pro and the features will extend to nodes; figured the constraint was more geared to BW support, i.e., 160MHz with 160MHz capability. Oh well, already bought a ticket to the show so I'm going to sit through it.

You may be dragging too much of your N66U configuration forward to your new AX equipment... is any of that really necessary now?
You know what? I think this is probably the right answer here in my case. All my neighbors are 802.11ax, I'm going to intelligently back my changes out, and let the standard do its job. (++disable WPS.)

Thanks all!

Ah, it is a little frustrating because it is sold as "scalable"

Closer to common repeaters and access points, actually. Came as afterthought solution to catch up with the market trends. Qualcomm built-in mesh support is better. You may be surprised, but some folks around run Amazon eero and Google Nest for Wi-Fi after their Asus router. Some TP-Link Deco models are also excellent. AiMesh is mostly marketing. Sells more routers well. Asus claims AiMesh compatibility to anything that can run the code. In reality - mix and match is looking for trouble.

Closer to common repeaters and access points, actually. Came as afterthought solution to catch up with the market trends. Qualcomm built-in mesh support is better. You may be surprised, but some folks around run Amazon eero and Google Nest for Wi-Fi after their Asus router. Some TP-Link Deco models are also excellent. AiMesh is mostly marketing. Sells more routers well. Asus claims AiMesh compatibility to anything that can run the code. In reality - mix and match is looking for trouble.
I tried to "stick with what I know" and probably rushed the decision a little bit. I was very close to purchasing one of the better TP-Link Deco models but, ironically, it would not fit into our decor and my kid or dog would absolutely knock it around. I can't bring myself to purchase an eero or Nest.

Unfortunately, my house was built right before cat5 became the common replacement for POTS and RG6 became a modern necessity: no g.hn, moca, or anything easy. The basement is finished so I can't get to or run any wires without cutting holes in one of the reasons we bought the place. We hardly get cell reception in the house so 6GHz as a backhaul is likely not going to work. And, the few places I felt optimal to put a router/ap weren't near electrical outlets on the same bus bar or were on heavier utilized (noisy) circuits, nogo on powerline.

I will say that because my setup is more simplistic, neither me or my wife have noticed any issues with VPN tunnel'd WFH video meetings (t's actually a lot better), and I'll take that win for now. I think I was trying to tool around under the hood like I'm gearing for the fast lane when all I really do is cruise now.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!