What's new

Streaming heavy stuff over WiFi (VNC, raw IQ data)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sorry, you've lost me. You said in post #1 that your desktop is connected by gigabit Ethernet. That's going to be better than any WiFi solution.
Yeah, that's correct. The desktop is acting as the client and the laptop that has the SDR connected to it is acting as the server but it's using Wi-Fi

Yeah, that's correct. The desktop is acting as the client and the laptop that has the SDR connected to it is acting as the server but it's using Wi-Fi
That's what I thought. So I didn't understand why you were talking about the WiFi equipment of your desktop which you are not using. Or were you just using that as a comparison?

To get a meaningful improvement on your laptop's current WiFi adapter it would have to have at least two antennas (for 866Mbps), with those antennas preferably attached separately via a cable (rather then being part of the USB adapter). I don't really have any personal experience of those so YMMV. My concern would be that you're now running both the WiFi and the SDR over USB. Maybe that's not a problem for your laptop, but it's something you will only find out by testing. Sorry I can't suggest anything more helpful.

If running a wire isn't an option, would you suggest that I get a USB WiFi adapter that can connect at the full speed of the router? My desktop's 802.11ax adapter can connect at 526/866 (Mbps) but the antenna is against a wall and in the corner of a room on the other side of the house. To get the full speed of the router's WiFi, I would need an external antenna for my motherboard and maybe a 5 GHz repeater.

Looks like you're pulling a consistent 200M or so, which is well within the realm of what a 433 link speed can do (assuming the channels are pretty clear). 250-300 is about what you can expect max over that. You can try using remote desktop instead of teamviewer, it is less of a bandwidth hog, or reduce the quality/amount of graphics etc. But if it is working, then probably fine how it is.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!