What's new

Suggested routers for P2P efficiency/bandwidth intesive applications

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

remedy1419

New Around Here
So I'm between 2 routers that seem pretty good to me. Of course, I'm very open to any suggestions anyone might have.

My main reason for upgrading routers is that I need a router to support the tremendous amount of P2P traffic to do (I have a FiOS 35/35 connection) and the HD Netflix streaming etc. that goes on all the time. I'd also really want a router that has quality QoS so that low bandwidth requiring things like web surfing is still capable while bandwidth hungry applications are running.

Most of the rooms in my home area wired with cat 6, but we do have a bunch of laptops around. The MAIN PRIORITY though is the MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE for the computers that are wired. A little drop in performance due to the connections being wireless isn't a problem. Anyway, onto the routers.

The first is the Linksys/Cisco E4200. I really really like that it has preliminary DD-WRT support, because I've always wanted to try third party firmware.

Plus it supports a good amount of maximum simultaneous connections, and stacks up pretty well with total maximum thoroughput.

As far as wireless performance, I live in a large house which I'm doubtful it would cover entirely. I'm perfectly fine getting a bridge(is it a bridge I'd need) or a repeater to remedy that problem.

The second router I've been looking into is the ASUS RT-R56U. From the router charts, it outperforms the E4200 in pretty much every way that I'm looking for, but it doesn't have a chance of being supported by DD-WRT. I believe the wireless performance of the R56 isn't as good as the E4200, so there's a con there I suppose.

I do know that the ASUS RT-R76U (now the RT-66U) is a Broadcom based chipset and therefore should be able to be supported by DD-WRT. I'd like to imagine that the RT-R66 would perform just as well in all areas as the R56 but would let me use DD-WRT.

Is that a stupid reason to hold off for the RT-R66? Is third-party firmware really worth skipping the tremendous performance of the R56, or would the alternate firmware compensate for the deficiencies the E4200 faces compared to the R56?

Again, if there are other routers that seem like they'd suit my purpose better I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

The best auto-QoS is in routers using Ubicom chipsets. Ubicom used to be in most all D-Link routers, but disappeared from the market for awhile.

I'd try a D-Link DIR-655, which still uses a Ubicom CPU.

I used to have a DIR-655 Rev A, and it gave me nothing but issues. But the QoS on it was great, I'll give you that! I'm a little wary of D-Link now, though.

It would randomly reboot pretty often, they issued some really poorly QA'd firmware updates that just made things worse (can't say I remember the exact versions, 1.33 perhaps?), I had tons of DNS issues (the DNS relay setting didn't fix it).

Perhaps it's a fine router now, but I'm really hoping towards something newer like the two above.

The E4200 QoS is four-level manual priority, uplink only. The ASUS' QoS is even cruder.

Maybe Atheros' auto-QoS has gotten better. You can use the Router Finder QoS filters to look for routers with better QoS features. Draytek's and Cisco RV0XX series do both up/down and priority and bandwidth modes.

If you are willing to build your own router, PFSense offers pretty comprehensive QOS capabilities.

Gotcha on the QoS stuff. Any other ideas/answers/opinions on whether or not the N56U/N66U or E4200 are worth it over a 655 for my purposes? Or if getting a router for third party firmware is a terrible idea?

Just get TP-LINK top of the line works perfect for me and I've own many of these routers. Measuring P2P the it downloads quicker. Even though I could use DD-WRT on it I don't and use the stock firmware ROM from TP-LINK.

Very interesting thread. I'm exactly on the same (or very similar) boat. I'm holding off for the u66 release... Do you guys have an ETA for this product?

Thanks

Might want to take a look at Dennis Woods post about results using PFsense & Utorrent, and the discussion of the state table limitations on quite a few routers.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showpost.php?p=30168&postcount=12

There is an additional advantage, using bittorrent often leads to low noise UDP DOS attacks, PFSense running Snort will often recognize these and block hosts generating them, saving the processing cycles that other routers may waste.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!