What's new

Suricata Suricata - IDS on AsusWRT Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Excellent contribution.

I am trying to port the Oinkmaster, rule Management for Suricata. I'm counting on you.

Any progress? This would be a big plus.

Quick (probably ridiculous) question - do I need to reboot my router to make suricata run after install?
I'm brain dead. It's Friday...

Quick (probably ridiculous) question - do I need to reboot my router to make suricata run after install?
I'm brain dead. It's Friday...
Not really, but I would reboot it anyway to make sure it's all running again once your router restarts.
If you want to stop and start Suricata you can use the following commands:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S82suricata stop

/opt/etc/init.d/S82suricata start

I started from scratch (without the scribe changes):

This looks fine:
Code:
> suricata -c /opt/etc/suricata/suricata.yaml -T
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - Running suricata under test mode
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - Configuration node 'defrag' redefined.
Warning: Output_interface not supplied by user.  Falling back on default_output_interface "Console"
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Notice> - This is Suricata version 4.1.8 RELEASE
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - CPUs/cores online: 2
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - fast output device (regular) initialized: fast.log
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - stats output device (regular) initialized: stats.log
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - 18 rule files processed. 2335 rules successfully loaded, 0 rules failed
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - Threshold config parsed: 0 rule(s) found
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:47 - <Info> - 2335 signatures processed. 207 are IP-only rules, 443 are inspecting packet payload, 1764 inspect application layer, 0 are decoder event only
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:49 - <Notice> - Configuration provided was successfully loaded. Exiting.
3/7/2020 -- 21:43:49 - <Info> - cleaning up signature grouping structure... complete

However, after adding these test.rules and ping-ing 192.168.1.1 I still get no alert... :(
Code:
alert icmp any any -> $HOME_NET any (msg:"ICMP connection attempt"; sid:1000002; rev:1;)
alert tcp any any -> $HOME_NET 23 (msg:"TELNET connection attempt"; sid:1000003; rev:1;)

Not really, but I would reboot it anyway to make sure it's all running again once your router restarts.
If you want to stop and start Suricata you can use the following commands:
Code:
/opt/etc/init.d/S82suricata stop

/opt/etc/init.d/S82suricata start

Alrighty, thanks!
I've only had it running on my ac86 for a little while, so I've yet to see if there are any problems/issues I need to sort out between cake-qos and suricata and Diversion, but right now things seem smooth. I had to wrestle with SkyNet, but this install was effortless, simply by following the steps in post #1 here...except for this: it's services-start rather than services.start on my system, and /opt paths didn't seem to be recognized, so I had to cd /opt to find the correct path to use.
The real test will be this evening as streaming activities begin in earnest.

Alrighty, thanks!
I've only had it running on my ac86 for a little while, so I've yet to see if there are any problems/issues I need to sort out between cake-qos and suricata and Diversion, but right now things seem smooth. I had to wrestle with SkyNet, but this install was effortless, simply by following the steps in post #1 here...except for this: it's services-start rather than services.start on my system, and /opt paths didn't seem to be recognized, so I had to cd /opt to find the correct path to use.
The real test will be this evening as streaming activities begin in earnest.
I have Skynet, diversion, Suricata and cake all working together on my system and it seems to be working well.

I had similar issues as you with the installation instructions but it seemed to work using services.start. Is this an issue? do I need to change my install to use services-start?

I had similar issues as you with the installation instructions but it seemed to work using services.start. Is this an issue? do I need to change my install to use services-start?

You’re sure suricata is working? Until you’re 100% about that...
And don’t go by me/my experience: it could very well be me that’s wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re sure suricata is working? Until you’re 100% about that...
And don’t go by me/my experience: it could very well be me that’s wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep I'm quite sure it is all working. fast.log showing a few 'hits' but literally one every 2 days or so. I have scribe logging setup and see Suricata updating and restarting every day at 3am based on the cron job.

Before i dip my toes in again with suricata, what kind of throughput are you guys getting? These routers are pretty limited in both cpu and memory. In my experience i had to run suricata on on i5/i7 with at least 16gb of ram to perform well. I even built a vm to route all my traffic through before i decided to just accept skynet and aiprotection.

Before i dip my toes in again with suricata, what kind of throughput are you guys getting? These routers are pretty limited in both cpu and memory. In my experience i had to run suricata on on i5/i7 with at least 16gb of ram to perform well. I even built a vm to route all my traffic through before i decided to just accept skynet and aiprotection.
with HW acceleration enabled (default when not using qos), my top speed went from 550Mbps to 500Mbps, when i enabled suricata. this is on a ax88.

If I change the af-packet interface to br0 in suricata.yaml (use that instead of eth0, which is the only one that shows my external IP address when I run ifconfig) I do get alerts when pinging my router from within my LAN...

Why's that? What can be wrong here?

For a moment I thought I found out why I don't get alerts (on eth0) when trying to ping my router...

no-ping.png

But unfortunately still no change after changing this setting to "Yes" :(

For a moment I thought I found out why I don't get alerts (on eth0) when trying to ping my router...

View attachment 24536

But unfortunately still no change after changing this setting to "Yes" :(

(oh, this is part 2 of 2. another post before)

do you have DDNS active?

for the folks running suricata, what entries have you found on fast.log, after running it for a while?
thanks
anyone? other than the occasional NTP DDoS?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!