What's new

Switching from 3.0.0.4.374.34_2-sdk5 -> 3.0.0.4_374.39_0 : any special steps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tbessie

Regular Contributor
Hey all...

So I've been running 3.0.0.4.374.34_2-sdk5 on my RT-N66U, and I want to update to the latest (3.0.0.4_374.39_0 - NOT sdk5).

Do I need to do anything special with regards to settings? Reset to factory defaults and reenter everything by hand, etc? Save settings and restore them after update?

Or can I just update the firmware and the settings should be correct for this jump in versions/sdks?

- Tim

Hey all...

So I've been running 3.0.0.4.374.34_2-sdk5 on my RT-N66U, and I want to update to the latest (3.0.0.4_374.39_0 - NOT sdk5).

Do I need to do anything special with regards to settings? Reset to factory defaults and reenter everything by hand, etc? Save settings and restore them after update?

Yes. This is required since you are switching to a vastly different wireless driver - re-enter them manually.

If you want to maintain the same performance/range as the SDK5 build, I recommend you use the EM experimental build (which will probably become the default build starting with 374.40).

Yes. This is required since you are switching to a vastly different wireless driver - re-enter them manually.

If you want to maintain the same performance/range as the SDK5 build, I recommend you use the EM experimental build (which will probably become the default build starting with 374.40).

Umm not sure I've flashed mine correctly on my rt-n66u. Uploaded firmware, did a factory reset from within the webui, changed the wpa/psk key, etc. Now when I log on and look under system status it shows old passwords until I refresh the page!
Also my USB disk shows as being um-mounted when I can actually access it.
Confused now!

what browser are you using? firefox? if so, try visiting about:config and setting browser.cache.check_doc_frequency to 1

I am now officially depressed (I have a lot of settings - mostly IP assignments and MAC filters :-/ ).

*sigh*

I'll wait, I think, until you push out that new build as final. Thanks for your great work, in any case!

- Tim

I am now officially depressed (I have a lot of settings - mostly IP assignments and MAC filters :-/ ).

*sigh*

I'll wait, I think, until you push out that new build as final. Thanks for your great work, in any case!

- Tim

Yes, same here. Having to type in all the dhcp reserves and mac filter settings is a couple of hours of time gone. I pretty sure there is a way to get those settings out as a couple of files which can be put back in after upgrade but I can't find a tutorial that is basic enough to show me how.

So I'll wait for now as everything is working quite well.

Bob.

Yes, same here. Having to type in all the dhcp reserves and mac filter settings is a couple of hours of time gone. I pretty sure there is a way to get those settings out as a couple of files which can be put back in after upgrade but I can't find a tutorial that is basic enough to show me how.

So I'll wait for now as everything is working quite well.

Bob.

What you need is stored in the nvram. On the N56U DHCP reserves are listed as;

dhcp_staticmac_x0=XXXXXXXXXXXX
dhcp_staticmac_x1=XXXXXXXXXXXX

I assume this would be similar for the N66U. To list all these do the following in SSH;

nvram show | grep dhcp_staticmac*

The nvram settings you are looking for are dhcp_staticlist and vts_rulelist.

Thank you both for trying to help me, it is appreciated.

Like all experts though I don't think you guys realise how much you know and take for granted. I don't have a any clue what to do with the information you have given me.

I presume I have to type something into putty which will save a chunk of data but how I don't know. I don't know the save command, how to define what I want saved, how to tell it where to save it and if that's not on the PC how do I get it out of the router.

The same again when putting it back afterwards.

I have looked for this info but there is nothing I can find that assumes correctly zero knowledge.

Thanks.

Bob.

I've got a little further!!

Ok guys if you wouldn't mind.....

I've been having a play.

Using putty I typed
nvram show | grep dhcp_staticlist
I then got a screen full of information but couldn't save it. Then I highlighted it, did a control C and then pasted into notepad and save it. I have the data for dhcp. Is there a better way? Not the slightest clue again how to put it back though.

I also tried to get the wireless mac filter list with...
nvram show | grep vts_rulelist.
This did not work. But I got a message about
Size 42631 bytes (23175 left)
vts_rulelist=
Would I be right to assume I had run out of ram after the first command?
If so, how do I clear the ram for the second?

How do I put these files back after firmware upgrade?

Oh dear, I appear to have broken everything. I tried nvram clear as a guess and now everything has gone, I've lost the lot.

God I wish there was a tutorial!!!

Thanks.

Bob.

Last edited:
Some pennies have dropped

I've seen the light. :) we'll some of it at least.

At last I have managed to get somewhere and can at least save out a file from the dhcp settings.

Thanks everyone for your help.

The nvram settings you are looking for are dhcp_staticlist and vts_rulelist.

Is the format of these two settings compatible, so that if we switch the versions (with the new SDKs), the data exported from the old firmware will still work in the new firmware?

- Tim

Is the format of these two settings compatible, so that if we switch the versions (with the new SDKs), the data exported from the old firmware will still work in the new firmware?

Yes, and they are highly unlikely to ever change format.

I find the easiest way is to use the command line on the router's webgui, then cut & paste the output, rather than trying to save files using putty:

nvram get dhcp_staticlist

Desktop.

I go gui also and save the file to my desktop with no problems sofar.:D

For the nvram wireless mac whitelists, I see several different values on my N66U - any idea which is which? I have wireless mac filters set up for both network bandwidths. I'm guessing the 'x' variants are backups or the prior settings before the last change, maybe? Don't know why there are 3 groups tho' - anyone know?

wl_maclist
wl_maclist_x

wl0_maclist
wl0_maclist_x

wl1_maclist
wl1_maclist_x

Merlin,

Did this actually happen?.. are the newer builds (RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_0, for example) as long range as the SDK5 or the EM versions?.

Thanks.
Riz

Merlin,

Did this actually happen?.. are the newer builds (RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43_0, for example) as long range as the SDK5 or the EM versions?.

Thanks.
Riz

It did, but it has come and gone. We're now going back to standard SDK6 range.