What's new

GT-AX6000 Refuses to connect via AIMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rutilate

Occasional Visitor
UPDATE: YES, YES IT DOES.
Sent the node back to Amazon, the replacement connected first time and every time after updating firmware and resets as necessary. What a difference! So, the network is up and we're testing placements and antennae orientation for maximum coverage within the house.
-------

Does the new GT-AX6000 need to go back to Amazon?

I upgraded from the crappy ZenWifi AX devices to two GT-AX6000s with great hopes. The second node absolutely will not connect via AIMesh. Is there a better trick to this? Or does it just need to go back to Amazon? Steps below.

And even more important, to what devices/manufacturers do I have to switch to get great mesh-type coverage without the ability to hardwire from one device in the garage where the to another device in the house?

Here's what I've done so far.

1. Attempted wireless connection, then hardwired from 2.5GHz out to 2.5GHz WAN input. no dice.
  2. Same result with IOS app and router's web-based GUI
  3. Updated firmware to Merlin's latest on both devices (GT-AX6000_388.2_2_rog_nand_squashfs.pkgtb), and did a Factory default restore (Administration->Restore/Save/Upload Setting->Restore with initialize all settings checked), followed by a hard device reset and manual reconfiguration of the network.
  4. Restored ASUS firmware (GT-AX6000_3.0.0.6_102_21514-g9affda2_136-g5d23c_nand_squashfs.pkgtb), factory default restore, hard device reset.
I've attempted to pair the ASUS_20 at least 5 times in each configuration, regardless of IOS app vs. web GUI.

I'm attempting to set this up alongside my existing network, so the router WAN input is connected to my old network, has WAN IP address of 192.168.50.71, primary address of 192.168.51.1. Second device is visible as the open network ASUS_20.

Is there a trick to getting this to pair? Or is the GT-AX6000 ALSO notorious for not pairing like the ZenWifi AX? For the moment I'm not able to run hardwire from detached garage where the network drop is to the house.

And the ultimate question is whether or not there is a better alternative, either ASUS or other manufacturer that's going to give me a better, more stable, distributed network?

Last edited:
Have you tried with both routers in the same room (wired, or wireless), after fully resetting the node?

Have you tried with both routers in the same room (wired, or wireless), after fully resetting the node?
Yes, absolutely, about 40 times. This one just simply failed. Like I edited at the top of the OP, I returned to amazon and the replacement worked every. single. time through all the resets involved in upgrading to new versions. It was nearly 2 days of non-stop effort for what turned out to be an absolute lemon. Maddening. But it is working for the last day in testing.
Thanks for the response.

I just picked up a second GT-AX6000 for use as an AIMesh node - should it remain stock or be Merlin as well?

Matched routers with matched firmware are the most stable combinations.

Use Asus firmware on the nodes.

I'm going to run with the Merlin on the node for a week or two and see what happens (since it's the 4th). The distribution of devices is interesting - some I was sure would connect to the node do not and vice versa. Starting to think I would be better in extender mode, but we'll see.

Well that didnt work for long. Several devices moved to the node and some of them were unexpected. All of a sudden everyone connected to the node stalled. Deleted the node,factory reset it and flashed stock on it. Made it a node again it only one device so far.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!