What's new

Synology Announces Mesh Router With WPA3

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Julio Urquidi

News Editor
synology-mr2200ac-mesh.jpg
Synology’s tri-band MR2200ac is the company’s first foray into mesh networking.

Powered by Qualcomm’s IPQ4019 quad-core system-on-chip the MR2200ac has a tri-radio two-stream design, with an extra 5 GHz radio for added backhaul flexibility. The router has one WAN and only one LAN gigabit Ethernet ports and a USB 3.0 port that supports storage sharing.

Other features include "seamless" roaming, band steering and app-based setup and management. Owners of Synology’s RT2600ac router can also use the MR2200ac to extend their existing network without having to invest in an all new wireless setup.

MR2200ac runs the Synology Router Manager (SRM) OS, adding a variety of profile-based security features, including web filters and SafeSearch, scheduling access hours, whitelisting, mpnitoring of what sites are accessed and which devices are used, as well as DNS and IP threat intelligence, and Google Safe Browsing that protects against malware, social engineering and other threats.

Additionally, MR2200ac implements the new WPA3 Wi-Fi security standard for supported clients, adding WPA3 Personal, WPA3-Enterprise and Enhanced Open options to the router’s arsenal of security features.

Available now, the single Synology MR2200ac can be found on Amazon for $139.99, but currently shows a 1-2 month delivery time.

For once, something is going for a bit less in Taiwan, as it's costing around $126 and it's even in stock.

The question is how well it works with other brands of routers and it's also weird to sell a single device and brand it as a mesh solution.

it's also weird to sell a single device and brand it as a mesh solution.
I asked a BestBuy salesperson last week what their best selling router was and he said a single Google WiFi. For only $99, you can buy one and see if it does the job. If not, you buy another and start building a mesh.

Although Google didn't maket the WiFi that way, it seems to have evolved into a single-to-multiple node approach. At least in this case.

Synology's approach is a combination of this and ASUS' AiMesh, although much more limited because the MR2200ac works with only one (top end) router.

I asked a BestBuy salesperson last week what their best selling router was and he said a single Google WiFi. For only $99, you can buy one and see if it does the job. If not, you buy another and start building a mesh.

Although Google didn't maket the WiFi that way, it seems to have evolved into a single-to-multiple node approach. At least in this case.

Synology's approach is a combination of this and ASUS' AiMesh, although much more limited because the MR2200ac works with only one (top end) router.

That does seem to fit the "mesh paradigm" better. It's good that McMansions are getting more and bigger to sustain the consumer mesh movement. :p

BTW seems humorous for a "staff member" post to have a "report" button. How many turn you, into yourself?

That makes somewhat sense. As you kind of point out though, this whole mesh thing is a mess, as it's not really cross brand/manufacturer compatible...

That's what EasyMesh is for. Lots of folks jumping on that bandwagon...NOT.

Guess what, manufacturers/brands love proprietary... Consumers, not so much...
This is really quite frustrating, but I guess we don't live in a utopia, it's all about who can get the biggest slice of the cake.

Does anyone have any experience with this router? I'm considering getting this but nothing much solid reviews out there at the moment.

Does anyone have any experience with this router? I'm considering getting this but nothing much solid reviews out there at the moment.
Already returned the blue cave? Time for a higher end router that’s more than $200 if you are not sure.

Already returned the blue cave? Time for a higher end router that’s more than $200 if you are not sure.
Hahaha no no didn't return it. I'm not sure what to do exactly because of its heating issues and well file sharing being average.

What issues? Does it actually crash due to overheating?
No crashing on mine but I am not using all the ports. Cyn seems to be using more ports and other data sharing capabilities of the router. My Blue Cave is warm at the bottom part of the blue hole and on the underside of the router. Other that, I believe the router is working well. Anyhow, we explain the heating issues on the Blue cave thread much better.

Doesn't crash as of yet, just heats up. I guess its something to do with the Intel chipset.

Unless it goes beyond the specified thermal limits then it's fine. A lot of modern chips are built to operate in the 80-90C range without any issue. Keep in mind that the compact size of the Blue Cave might make it seem warmer than a wider device.

Unless it goes beyond the specified thermal limits then it's fine. A lot of modern chips are built to operate in the 80-90C range without any issue. Keep in mind that the compact size of the Blue Cave might make it seem warmer than a wider device.
That could be the reason since its not wide and the heat isn't dissipated properly, is there any thoughts of bringing Merlin to the Blue Cave?

the heat isn't dissipated properly,

Properly is a subjective word here, pretty sure Asus and Intel engineers have very specific thermal management requirements that are applied during development. In short, don't worry about it being warm, it was taken into account during design.

is there any thoughts of bringing Merlin to the Blue Cave?

Not gonna happen, I don't develop for the Intel platform, sorry. Only Broadcom.

Properly is a subjective word here, pretty sure Asus and Intel engineers have very specific thermal management requirements that are applied during development. In short, don't worry about it being warm, it was taken into account during design.

Not gonna happen, I don't develop for the Intel platform, sorry. Only Broadcom.
Maybe we should have gone Broadcom but are they really superior, similar to Intel vs AMD?

Maybe we should have gone Broadcom but are they really superior, similar to Intel vs AMD?

Both Qualcomm and Broadcom have more mature offerings in that product segment than Intel, who doesn't really focus in this market.

Reactions: Cyn
I see. Next time it will be a Broadcom or Qualcomm for me. How do you like my not so classy fix for cooling this router? At least now, there will be more air under it. I heard someone say they put a laptop chill mat but that’s too much for me.

CA472021-29E5-4343-9336-0451295453DE.jpeg

I see. Next time it will be a Broadcom or Qualcomm for me. How do you like my not so classy fix for cooling this router? At least now, there will be more air under it. I heard someone say they put a laptop chill mat but that’s too much for me.

View attachment 15343
lol! What just happened over here? Did you flip the router?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!