What's new

Synology released version 4.3 of the OS (DSM) this week

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Funny, I've seen these complaints in the last 3 or so releases.
On mine, I have it scheduled to power off overnight.

well, I must admit, other than the overnight sleeping, I don't pay any attention to driver hibernation. Doesn't affect power bill enough for me to care, vs. the other stuff in this house.

well, I must admit, other than the overnight sleeping, I don't pay any attention to driver hibernation. Doesn't affect power bill enough for me to care, vs. the other stuff in this house.

True, but disk spin down can extend the life of the drives. Not sure Wake on LAN will work remotely either.

I have a DS111 and a DS212j, both still using DSM 4.1. That runs fine for me on both units.

Sam

True, but disk spin down can extend the life of the drives. Not sure Wake on LAN will work remotely either.
yes. Mine spin down (sleep) from 1AM to 8AM daily. (unless I'm done with breakfast early, wherein I tap the power switch to wake it up.)

As to extending the life via spin-down... I think that's debatable. Head load/unload at spin-up/down is probably a big failure culprit - scratching the heads as they park, etc.

My two 500GB drives in the always-on PC in the garage have some 4 or 5 years on them. Just common WD drives. But that's just a small sample.

Has anyone been following the posts on the Synology forum regarding the DSM 4.3 update? Lots of complaints:

- Video station dropped DTS audio due to licensing issue
- Photostation broken for management of permissions, etc.

Glad I kept my powder dry and waited on purchasing a DS213.

read the last 3 or so releases. It's the usual small percentage with odd problems. The vast majority of such issues are not universal.

I've been from 4.0 to 4.2 with no problems. Good, since there are many, many features in DSM.

A better source of overall opinions is those who take the time to post a review/star-rating on Amazon and Newegg. Maybe a bit less slanted to have only gripes.

Last edited:
read the last 3 or so releases. It's the usual small percentage with odd problems. The vast majority of such issues are not universal.

I've been from 4.0 to 4.2 with no problems. Good, since there are many, many features in DSM.

A better source of overall opinions is those who take the time to post a review/star-rating on Amazon and Newegg. Maybe a bit less slanted to have only gripes.

I agree with just some people experiencing issues when updates happen. I'm sure Synology will fix the PhotoStation issues but the DTS audio issue with VideoStation is concerning. Just saw a post that support suggested going back to the previous version for this problem.

Disk usage report

I see that 4.3 is able to find duplicate files through 'disk usage report'; but I can't find where it is. Does anyone know?

Thanks - but isn't this the forum? I've checked other forums, pre DSM 4.3 and did not find a convincing solution (I can always sync with a Windows folder, wait for 300GB to copy, and find the duplicates there... but I'd rather not do that yet).

In my uses, there may be some duplicates, but it would be a tiny fraction of the total data volume. So it's a nit.

I agree with just some people experiencing issues when updates happen. I'm sure Synology will fix the PhotoStation issues but the DTS audio issue with VideoStation is concerning. Just saw a post that support suggested going back to the previous version for this problem.

Personally I don't use the photostation, I have no use for it (and I don't want to have to put all my photos on the NAS in a structure that it wants. . .I store and edit most of my photos on SSD for faster editing and organizing).

And the DTS thing seems kind of overblown. . .I think the % of people that use Synology NAS to serve up .MKV files (I gotta think that is the most affected file type for this) to devices that aren't computers or mobile (ie that have multiple speakers where this comes into play), essentially - they have devices that stream them to a home theater that has a true 5.1 surround setup, and are using it to do this with MKVs? If you are that into great sound & video reproduction and have a high end audio system, I would speculate you'd just have it on Bluray.

Also, MKVs can easily be reencoded from DTS to AC3.

So far I've used the new VideoStation to beam stuff (.MKVs included), to my AppleTV via airplay which is in my bedroom and connected to a 2ch ZVox sound system and they work great. But most of my stuff is in mp4/h.264/ac3 encoding anyway, so I'm mostly in good shape.

Ok - but the fact remains that Synology claims it is there:

DSM 4.3 has a number of enhancements for managing and sharing digital assets:
Improved mobile apps - iOS, Android, and Windows Phone updates
Photo Station global search – including meta-data
Shared folder and file links
Disk Usage Report—Quickly find and eliminate duplicate files

So again - why do they claim it if it's not there; and if it is there, where is it?

The ability to run the report & locate/delete dupe files IS in 4.3

You just have to read the forums over at synology.com
That's how I learned the process.
It is quite simple really.

Once you get the report, you can right click on the file in the report & delete it from in the report (newer feature).

Go to "system information" via the 4 blue squares in top left corner of dsm.
Next, chose the "report" tab.
Chose "create" button; follow the prompts to create a one time or schedule report.
Once the system completes the report I have it email me the link.

You should be able to figure it out from there.
Lots of smart & friendly folks over at the syo forums for syno specific questions.
Probably get a more concise answer there than here.
Hope I helped you.

Here's my unfortunate story so far. I found many reviews for a Synology product name DS214play. Sounded really solid; better than a similar QNAP product (TS-269 Pro). Was hoping to replace a older/slower TS-119. So I bought one, along with 2 4TB WD Red drives. I set everything up (RAID0 for a single big drive). With the drive empty, and will all services turned off, I get a pleasing and consistent 110 MB/s write rate. Excellent. But reading -- a mere 5 MB/s (for many scenarios). Yes, "five". All CAT6 cabling (obviously, with that write rate). The unit came with DSM 4.3, and I let it update to the latest update (update 4) of 4.3. There are a host of folks on the Synology site with similar problems. One post I found mentions that this is understood and a fix is coming (about 40 days ago), but the people who realize this issue and start afresh with the forums and support I'm sure are very frustrated.

My dilemma is do I keep the unit and hope that a fix will actually address it, or do I return and opt for the other choice? I actually want this unit, but I need a little more than 5 MB/s. That's about 1/5 the speed of my old unit. From the many reviews I've seen, this unit should easily do 80-90 MB/s.

Just to in case any of you have any feedback here -- let me ask -- has anyone seen anything remotely like this with a NAS? Maybe some obscure setting or condition?

After I set it up, I purposely chose to test its performance before putting it into use. Here is an ATTO test I did...

ds214play-slowread.jpg

Thanks.