What's new

Synology RT1900AC Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pege63

Very Senior Member
Is there some one else interested in the Synology RT1900AC Router, cant wait to get my hands on it. Just LOVE the GUI on Synology products. Have someone seen this router in stores there you live, am in Sweden and not yeat in stores?

Interested in an entry level (new) router from a NAS manufacturer? Because of the gui?

No. :)

Interested in an entry level (new) router from a NAS manufacturer? Because of the gui?

No. :)

It would be interesting to see... lot depends on the HW and codebase obviously, but the NAS vendors know services, and they're pretty tight with ARMv5/v7, and most of them have deep experience with Marvell CPU's - and we know that Marvell solutions, while more spendy than Broadcomm, perform well on storage as well as routing and wireless.

Can they make the jump over to the Router/AP space and keep it affordable? Margins on Router/AP's are much tighter than NAS boxen - but over a product range, perhaps...

I think it's more of a biz decision, not a technology decision...

Feature-wise, this router seems to be hitting a couple of sweet spots.

It'll be interesting when it ships - HW wise, it's a Broadcom AC1900 reference design w/USB3 and SD Card slot, dual-band AC1900 - the 4GB internal flash is interesting... makes sense if they're also going to allow Apps on the device.

The UI looks similar to DSM - wonder if this allows some kind of management across a Synology Router and NAS from one place.

I've been noticing how the core functionality of the NAS software based on Linux seems more than coincidentally similar.
The "skinning" differs greatly among the 2 or 3 market leaders. The suite of add-ins such as Synology's Time Backup with file versioning.
Could it be?
Well, it's OK with me as long as it continues to very bug-free.

Like cable TV set top boxes... there's one dominant vendor for that software - not box manufacturer; but CableCo approves what goes to their customers in vendor x's box. Different skinning.

Any idea when it will be available to the public? At first they sait it would be out by then end of August. Then I heard the end of the year. Sounds like it was delayed.

I've been noticing how the core functionality of the NAS software based on Linux seems more than coincidentally similar.
The "skinning" differs greatly among the 2 or 3 market leaders. The suite of add-ins such as Synology's Time Backup with file versioning.
Could it be?
Well, it's OK with me as long as it continues to very bug-free.

Like cable TV set top boxes... there's one dominant vendor for that software - not box manufacturer; but CableCo approves what goes to their customers in vendor x's box. Different skinning.

With NAS boxen, just like Routers/AP's, there's a lot of common/shared DNA across all vendors - for routers, it goes back to the WRT54G, and with NAS boxen, there's a common shared codebase that goes way back... not back to WRT, but similar...

The NAS vendors, they do value stability within their code base rather than the latest/greatest feature - good example would be QNAP where they've gone 8 months with QTS 4.2 and they still haven't brought it out as a public release - the WLAN vendors would never do that as their product cycle is less than that...

I actually welcome the NAS vendors into this space - I would guess that they're not on the bleeding edge, but they should be fairly stable when they release a product...

New QNAP software is pretty much similar.

Qnap and Synology are obviously similar. But Synology is obviously more cartoon based. Lol...

Seems like everyone is going to the "flat" design - MS with Win10, Mac/IOS, Android - looks nice perhaps, but the usability of the flat design aesthetic sometimes leaves a lot to be desired..

DSM and QTS are pretty similar, and both are worlds better than what we commonly see in consumer Router/AP's...

New QNAP software is pretty much similar.
Seems like everyone is going to the "flat" design - MS with Win10, Mac/IOS, Android - looks nice perhaps, but the usability of the flat design aesthetic sometimes leaves a lot to be desired..

DSM and QTS are pretty similar, and both are worlds better than what we commonly see in consumer Router/AP's...

While similar, I just had another look at that DSM 5.2 demo after logging off of QTS 4.2 RC3...

That 5.2 looks simply 'ugghh'. Synology, grow up! :)

Yes, I know I could get used to it. But why? ;)

Why can they not combine their Router and NAS all in one.... and charge as slightly more then the NAS they are selling?

I dont know about others but most people i saw they have their Router and NAS sitting next to each other.

I just dont want two pieces of equipment.....

Why can they not combine their Router and NAS all in one.... and charge as slightly more then the NAS they are selling?

I dont know about others but most people i saw they have their Router and NAS sitting next to each other.

I just dont want two pieces of equipment.....
I wouldn't buy such a combo! Routers turn too fast. NASes go for years.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!