What's new

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you are using Prevention mode and have problem with speed, then you can try using just detection mode. It might at least warn you if any device is infected, so you can take actions (like moving the device to guest network, doing factory reset or even removing devices that will not get patched off your network )

nothing like closing the gate after the horse has bolted

warning your computer has just sent your credit card details to the cloud !!!!

That is certainly true, but compared to Netgear, which I believe it has no similar function, detection mode will be another layer to help you secure your network. Yet, Asus AiProtection could be a better option. I hope the third Synology router can handle much more bandwidth with this package turned on.

Last edited:
Are you using Prevention mode or Detection mode? I personally think that even without Intrusion Prevention package, Synology routers are no less secure than other brands. This is because they have very good policies in updating and patching all of their devices. If Synology follows what they do with NAS, Synology Router will likely get more years of security patches and function updates compared to its competitors and faster speed as well. Synology also uses Qualysguard Vulnerability Management to do Security Audits for every major versions.

If you are using Prevention mode and have problem with speed, then you can try using just detection mode. It might at least warn you if any device is infected, so you can take actions (like moving the device to guest network, doing factory reset or even removing devices that will not get patched off your network )

I tried both Detect and Detect and block, but I didn't notice the speed decrease until the latter was enabled. So not sure if just Detect has any effect on my speeds

Indeed, this is the cause with all poor security practices. Do you have evidence to backup such a claim in regards to Synology routers compared to Asus or Netgear?

Indeed, this is the cause with all poor security practices. Do you have evidence to backup such a claim in regards to Synology routers compared to Asus or Netgear?
I think he didn't say that Synology routers are any worse than Asus or Netgear. He was trying to say that if we use just detection mode, we might lose lots of things/money/data before we have time to act. Comparing with Synology prevention mode, which stops an attack automatically before it could cause any damage.

I think he didn't say that Synology routers are any worse than Asus or Netgear. He was trying to say that if we use just detection mode, we might lose lots of things/money/data before we have time to act. Comparing with Synology prevention mode, which stops an attack automatically before it could cause any damage.

True. I misinterpreted. In the end, what I meant was that no matter how good/bad a router, it won't change the fact that good security practices on all devices is key.

I’m thinking of buying the RT2600ac, but what’s with that poor 5ghz performance? Is that going to be a permanent feature or can it be fixed in firmware?

Is that going to be a permanent feature or can it be fixed in firmware?

it is what it is , and wont be fixed , its not that bad just not as good as others are

tbh at this stage i wouldnt buy the synology even if you wanted it for its ips as there are new models coming out with specific defenses for IoT and the like , the landscape is changing along with the router capabilities

i cant see there being a synology take 3 model anytime soon

it is what it is , and wont be fixed , its not that bad just not as good as others are

tbh at this stage i wouldnt buy the synology even if you wanted it for its ips as there are new models coming out with specific defenses for IoT and the like , the landscape is changing along with the router capabilities

i cant see there being a synology take 3 model anytime soon

That’s tricky. I’m not sure I can wait an indeterminate amount of time. I was just thinking to buy the best I can now.

so whats your focus ? iot security of just general security

the asus blue cave is just about to be released

there is the norton cube

the asus rt-ac86u has the new aiprotect for iot as well

just be quite specific on what you want and we can recommend what best for you that is available now

however i just dont think the rt-ac2600 is worth it or performs well enough to splash your cash on it

so whats your focus ? iot security of just general security

the asus blue cave is just about to be released

there is the norton cube

the asus rt-ac86u has the new aiprotect for iot as well

just be quite specific on what you want and we can recommend what best for you that is available now

however i just dont think the rt-ac2600 is worth it or performs well enough to splash your cash on it

what would you recommend over the RT-AC2600? The AC86U or wait for something else?

I almost pulled the trigger on the Synology just now, but after reading your comment. Took it out of my cart lol

(currently using RT-AC1900P)

what would you recommend over the RT-AC2600? The AC86U or wait for something else?
If you are not using any VPN services on the router and you are not having performance issue, then I don't think you need to upgrade anything. I am waiting to see the 3rd version of Synology Router.

Just saw that the R7800 will be on sale this Friday for $130. I think that’s a better Buy than an AC86U at $199.

What do you think?

the wifi on the r7800 is not as good

the rt-ac86u has the newer e series broadcom chipset and is better , the rt-ac86u has a faster cpu as well

the r7800 also doesnt have ai protection not many of the features of the asus

I purchased this very router, partly based on the SNB review.
Preformance seems decent, though WiFi range and performance do not seem to be much better than my antique D-Link DIR-655...

Things I like:
  • UI
  • plugin-support
  • Regular firmware updates

Things I miss:
  • Jumbo frame support (not supported: strange for a reknown NAS manufacturer)
  • Limited VLAN support (it has improved with a recent firmware update but it is still limited)
  • Official plug-in repo offering is (very) limited (and does not seem to improve)

With hindsight, I'd chose a router supporting a decent opensource firmware instead...

Just food for thought, if IPS is important to you then you might want to look at taking another direction like pfsense. I built myself a smaller 4 core (8 thread) xeon build with 32GB of ram I had lying around and I use Snort (also tried Suricata which is what the Synology is using), and I am doing in-line IPS (with blocking enabled) scanning using the Snort VT and ET rule sets and can hit easily my 500MBps downlink.

Do something like that, then use whatever router you have at home as an access point. I also switched to unifi for that portion.

But if you still want to try the synology, I got one I could sell you :) Was the router I was using until I went with pfsense, low use.

I'm not seeing the Synology RT2600AC router in the router charts or ranker, it was #1 but not seeing it now. Was there something found out about the router i need to know that makes it not a good choice anymore?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!