What's new

Synology RT2600ac Router Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The review states "No Wireless bridge support" as a con. I might be wrong but according to https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/SRM/help/SRM/RouterApp/operation_mode#t1b, it supports the bridge mode. A firmware update has enabled it, may be?

Wireless AP (Access Point) mode:
Under this mode (also known as the Bridge mode), your Synology Router bridges all network interfaces (LAN, wireless LAN, and WAN) and therefore has five LAN ports (LAN 1-4 and WAN) available to wired clients. In wired respects, your Synology Router is equivalent to a network switch. As a wireless AP, the router cannot assign IP addresses to the clients (the DHCP Server is disabled) and works only as a wireless transmission device, sending/receiving data via Wi-Fi between wireless and wired networks.

The review states "No Wireless bridge support" as a con. I might be wrong but according to https://www.synology.com/en-global/knowledgebase/SRM/help/SRM/RouterApp/operation_mode#t1b, it supports the bridge mode. A firmware update has enabled it, may be?
Up until quite recently, only the RT1900AC had that option. I'm not sure it is possible on the RT2600AC though. On their website, in the comparison chart, it states, Operation Modes - RT1900AC - Wireless Router, Wireless AP, Wireless Client, - RT2600AC - Wireless Router, Wireless AP, Wireless Repeater.

Hello,
Just wondering, I have the Netgear R7800 and I'm really pleased with it. So far, it's been rock stable, and the performance both WiFi and LAN/WAN are great. I have a 1GB connection with my provider, and I'm always above 930MBs. I've tested my WiFi with FAST and I get a really good download wherever I'm in my appartment.
But I was just wondering, as a geek, how the two routers compared. They have the same processor, the Synology has more flash RAM but I don't know if that matters a lot. Just checking out what you guys think.
Thanx for your response :)
EDIT: thet Netgear is €180 (got if for €160 then) and the Synology is €240, so quite a difference.
Also, I'm wondering if the options that the Synology is offering isn't taking its toll on the router, like on the download bandwith, and such. I have noticed that if I activate the QOS on any router, I see a lower download than when I leave it off. I'm thinking about stuffs like that.

Last edited:
i wouldnt be going from the r7800 to the synology unless you didnt own the r7800 , yes any process will effect download speed esp qos no matter the routers

I have a 1GB connection with my provider, and I'm always above 930MBs. I've tested my WiFi with FAST and I get a really good download wherever I'm in my appartment.

then the synology isnt going to anything better wifi coverage or throughput wise

the main claim to fame is the synology IPS which works but again puts a heavy load on the cpu and thus effects throughput in a big way

to be honest if you want something better you need to look at the new E series broadcom chipset routers with 1.8ghz cpu etc

I am not familiar with Synology routers, but I think the confusion comes from their use of the term "bridge". A Wireless Bridge is not the same as an Access Point. For sure, internally the router is "bridging" all of its interfaces, but that does not make it a Wireless Bridge.

An access point allows Wi-Fi devices to connect to the wired network (LAN) through it. A wireless bridge connects two separate networks together over a wireless link. So in summary, the term "Bridge mode" is misleading.

the main claim to fame is the synology IPS which works but again puts a heavy load on the cpu and thus effects throughput in a big way

It's Suricata, nothing exotic there. Anyone with an Entware-capable router can install and configure it themselves ;)

It's Suricata, nothing exotic there. Anyone with an Entware-capable router can install and configure it themselves

true but the OP was asking about how the features effect its throughput and on the rt2600ac the ips weighs down the throughput due to the cpu usage

Not to switch gears, but @RMerlin, did you ever write anything up on installing Suricata from entware?

No, sorry. I experimented with it a few months ago, but since it was just experimentation I never noted down anything on how I got it working or what rules I enabled/disabled, and I no longer have my config file either.

It's Suricata
I wonder if Suricata in Synology router is, in any way, better than TM AiProtection, especially the new one in Asus 382. I know that TM AiProtection is closed source, but you might be able to roughly compare between these two. I might buy a router, which is either Asus ac86u or Synology RT2600ac. Synology IPS lowers bandwidth significantly, so I wonder if it scans data more thoroughly -> better protection or it just doesn't work efficiently as TM AiProtection. Thanks in advance

I wonder if Suricata in Synology router is, in any way, better than TM AiProtection, especially the new one in Asus 382. I know that TM AiProtection is closed source, but you might be able to roughly compare between these two. I might buy a router, which is either Asus ac86u or Synology RT2600ac. Synology IPS lowers bandwidth significantly, so I wonder if it scans data more thoroughly -> better protection or it just doesn't work efficiently as TM AiProtection. Thanks in advance
I can't compare them, as TM's engine is closed source. I have no idea on what type of rules it can trigger.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

i can tell you the aiprotect on the new asus 382 units does not work over the cpu as much as it does on the rt2600ac , ips on the rt2600ac is still very noticeable in how it degrades performance , aiprotect 382 doesnt seem to effect performance as much or be as noticeable in normal use

i can tell you the aiprotect on the new asus 382 units does not work over the cpu as much as it does on the rt2600ac , ips on the rt2600ac is still very noticeable in how it degrades performance , aiprotect 382 doesnt seem to effect performance as much or be as noticeable in normal use
Thanks! It seems like if I buy Synology router, I have to use IDS instead of IPS. But what about QoS? Do you feel like Synology QoS performs any better than Asus QoS?

I'd love to know however what's the extent of its rules. Hopefully it's not just looking for 10-15 known security issues like SYN flooding, and providing just enough to add another checkmark feature on the marketing material.

however what's the extent of its rules. Hopefully it's not just looking for 10-15 known security issues like SYN flooding, and providing just enough to add another checkmark feature on the marketing material.

that is a good point , but in the test documentation it did provide specific links to test the three areas aiprotection looks at , and you gotta make sure they are enabled b4 testing as they will hijack yer comp other wise , lucky my test comp was sand boxed lol as even i forgot to check b4 testing

i did use these same malicious links on the rt2600ac and only 1 was actually detected and stopped

i wont post the links as they are quite dangerous

I'd love to know however what's the extent of its rules. Hopefully it's not just looking for 10-15 known security issues like SYN flooding, and providing just enough to add another checkmark feature on the marketing material.
That's exactly what I fear. I have been running it for a year. All I get from vulnerability protection email is device A is attacking device B on port C. If it has specific ruleset, it should be easy for TM to provide report of what rules are triggered in alert emails. From screenshots I saw on Google Search, Synology IPS/IDS does use different rule sets.

That's exactly what I fear. I have been running it for a year. All I get from vulnerability protection email is device A is attacking device B on port C. If it has specific ruleset, it should be easy for TM to provide report of what rules are triggered in alert emails. From screenshots I saw on Google Search, Synology IPS/IDS does use different rule sets.

Note that the new IPS/IDS added with Asuswrt 382 is more capable than the old one. It also has better reporting, both through webui charts and email reports.

I wish Asus would allow full SMTP configuration however rather than limit you to a few built-in services, half of which are totally unknown in America/Europe.

Hi,

First off I don't know much regarding networking. I was in need of upgrading my old wireless N router due to my internet connection randomly disconnecting. I narrowed my choices down to the Netgear R7800 and the Synology RT2600. I went with the R7800 at first, but the interface was painfully slow and would freeze, which made me rethink my decision. I returned it and picked up the RT2600, and it was like the total opposite software wise.

I was doing some speed test of my wired and wireless connections. I typically get 250mbps on my wired. I noticed after I installed the RT2600 the speed dropped to 120mbps, the wireless also dropped. This was very frustrating trying to figure out why this had happened. After some research I discovered other users have reported the same thing while running the Intrusion prevention add on. Low and behold after disabling this add on my wired speed has returned to normal, and my wireless speeds increased.

I know that the Intrusion prevention is in beta, but it brings up some questions. Is this router less secure than the competition without this add on running due to the nature of this software? and if it is not than why would you need it? I'm rethinking my decision once again. Maybe I should just suck it up and deal with the software of the R7800?

Hi,

First off I don't know much regarding networking. I was in need of upgrading my old wireless N router due to my internet connection randomly disconnecting. I narrowed my choices down to the Netgear R7800 and the Synology RT2600. I went with the R7800 at first, but the interface was painfully slow and would freeze, which made me rethink my decision. I returned it and picked up the RT2600, and it was like the total opposite software wise.

I was doing some speed test of my wired and wireless connections. I typically get 250mbps on my wired. I noticed after I installed the RT2600 the speed dropped to 120mbps, the wireless also dropped. This was very frustrating trying to figure out why this had happened. After some research I discovered other users have reported the same thing while running the Intrusion prevention add on. Low and behold after disabling this add on my wired speed has returned to normal, and my wireless speeds increased.

I know that the Intrusion prevention is in beta, but it brings up some questions. Is this router less secure than the competition without this add on running due to the nature of this software? and if it is not than why would you need it? I'm rethinking my decision once again. Maybe I should just suck it up and deal with the software of the R7800?

The Synology routers have an excellent Web-filter which can be customized ad infinitum and the incorporation of Google's "Safe Search" function. Both of these functions can be customized differently for every client. I think you would be very satisfied with the Synology without the use of IPS/IDS.

Are you using Prevention mode or Detection mode? I personally think that even without Intrusion Prevention package, Synology routers are no less secure than other brands. This is because they have very good policies in updating and patching all of their devices. If Synology follows what they do with NAS, Synology Router will likely get more years of security patches and function updates compared to its competitors and faster speed as well. Synology also uses Qualysguard Vulnerability Management to do Security Audits for every major versions.

If you are using Prevention mode and have problem with speed, then you can try using just detection mode. It might at least warn you if any device is infected, so you can take actions (like moving the device to guest network, doing factory reset or even removing devices that will not get patched off your network )

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!